Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,

I have a 1997 (5th generation) Honda Prelude with chassis code BB7 (4WS) and an F22B engine with the SportShift transmission. A few days ago the cambelt snapped and even though we have not opened the engine to see the extent of the trouble, we measured the compression of the cylinders and two of them provide no compression at all which probably means the pistons have holes in them:(

I am therefore looking to find a used engine for the car and I was wondering, since I will be replacing the engine, why not go for the more powerful H22A VTEC motor instead of the F22B the car originaly came with.

The question is whether it is a straight swap or if modifications are needed and to what extent with regards to the following items:

Gearbox
Engine mounts
ECU
Cooling
Electrical wiring
Electronics
Sensors
Anything else to think about?

Let me know if you need any further information in order to be able to answer.

Any input or reccomendation will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

· Registered
16 Posts
maybe im just biased away from 5th gens but i didnt think the f22 was a stock option for the 97+ ludes.
you pretty much have everything you need listed. the drop and ecu is pretty simple. wiring is very simple if youve done it before. as for the sensors i dont really know but that should be simple.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply VtecFreePrelude and you could be right; it may be a 1996 if the seat belts are to be believed. It is a Japanese import and I had a quick look yesterday in the front of the engine bay and there is a plaque there which distinguishes the car as a Type Si. Since the car is an import I don't know exactly the manufacture date of the and the reason why I put 1997 is because that it when i thought they started selling the 5th generation prelude. I am quite certain though that the F22B engine that the car has is the original engine and there has been no previous swap.

If I do go for the swap it will not be myself doing it but my mechanic and while he is an experienced mechanic and has done engine replacements before he has never done a swap on a prelude; if it is a complicated job we would prefer not to tackle it but if it is relatively straightforward it may just be worth the extra bhp that the H22A can offer over the F22B.

· Registered
16 Posts
well if its a 96 then it will make a little more sense. usually the si s came with the h23 and the s came with the f22.
but also you can run into a few more problems. if it is in fact a 96 you will need a obdII engine/tranny/ecu. otherwise you have a lot of wiring ahead of you as well as switching most of your sensors.
actually you will need the obdII setup either way.
now if you want to save a few buck and convert it to obdI you will have more work ahead of you but it is much better for upgrading.
good luck either way and make sure to keep everyone updated

· Registered
4 Posts
97 lude with an stock f22b dohc? it dont come from the dealer like that, thats 4 shur

Hello guys,

I have a 1997 (5th generation) Honda Prelude with chassis code BB7 (4WS) and an F22B engine with the SportShift transmission. A few days ago the cambelt snapped and even though we have not opened the engine to see the extent of the trouble, we measured the compression of the cylinders and two of them provide no compression at all which probably means the pistons have holes in them:(

I am therefore looking to find a used engine for the car and I was wondering, since I will be replacing the engine, why not go for the more powerful H22A VTEC motor instead of the F22B the car originaly came with.

The question is whether it is a straight swap or if modifications are needed and to what extent with regards to the following items:

Gearbox
Engine mounts
ECU
Cooling
Electrical wiring
Electronics
Sensors
Anything else to think about?

Let me know if you need any further information in order to be able to answer.

Any input or reccomendation will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
f22b is obd1 97 ludes are obd2. this means b4 u got the car somebody took out the stock h22 obd2 and used a stepdown to convert the car to obd1. you will need an 92-96 h22 obd1 to do the swap(i just started learnin bout hondas a couple of months ago and i know that thats an easy swap.) if you get a 97-01 h22 it will not work due to different wiring harnesses.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.