Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so after the price jump to 190+s&h of the Password JDM 3-point bar I have decided to fabricate my own, I have very detailed scetches with angles,lengths and a SHIT load of mesurements to make the brackets to mount to the struts but I have no idea on a good place to mount the 3rd attachment point tot the firewall.

If anyone has some pictures of their 3-point bars I would LOVE some pics reps in it for ja :). need to know where it is a good place to put the 3rd mounting location.

right now Im in the cardoard mockup stageand have the brackets about 75% done wondering if anyone has recomendations on what tipe of metal to use. I have an expert welder for a friend and he can weld aaluminum.

but being a bit of a rednect,steel is my prefered choice. I need something VERY stront and rigid but not fexible any ideas on a certain tipe of metal?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
well your not gonna subject steel to any kinda forces that will bend it, unless its thin. it takes alot especially if you get a solid bar or one that is considered thick walled.

i wish i had my book with me and i could tell you fairly quickly which type would be best. i'll have it tomorrow sometime

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
98civcEK said:
well your not gonna subject steel to any kinda forces that will bend it, unless its thin. it takes alot especially if you get a solid bar or one that is considered thick walled.

i wish i had my book with me and i could tell you fairly quickly which type would be best. i'll have it tomorrow sometime
AWESOME!! recomend me a thickness to,Im thinking 1/8th inch should do it.

I ususaly hit up the local factories and get the scrap sttel afer they cut so this will cost me a rool of tape,20miles of gas and about 20hours of work

:number1

beats the 190 to shame

·
Registered
52 Posts
Have you seen the 4 pt rear strut bars available?

I plan on making my own front and back when I get the chance at work. (I'm a fabricator in the Canadian Army)

I would recommend working w/ the Aluminum if you had the access to a TIG and the materials. From the pics I've seen of the optionjdm strut bars, if your close to the same design you will not have a problem w/ flex if your man is a competent welder.

But you can never beat free :)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
commador said:
On your firewall the to the driver side of your fuel filter you should notice 2 small rubber plugs. Pop them out. They are inserted into factory threaded holes. :)
awesome I was wondering what the hell those were there for,cool now Ill a need to do is make a plate for that and use stock holes SWEET!!!

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Ok got a couple of types that would be pretty good

the lightest: SAE 4340 heat-treated
the heaviest: stainless 18-8 coldrolled

both of those are the strongest of the manufatured types my book lists

as far as thickness i'd actually have to play with that some. i'd get enough for 3 bars and make them all and see which has beter fitment and overall stability. i'd tend to think that a outside diameter of 3/4" and inside 1/2" will do just fine. of course you can go bigger up to like an 1" OD and thicken up the walls a litte more if you wanted. but then if your really concerned about an extra lb or 2, the 3/4" will work well.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
very nice,I did want 1/8 inch thick square tubing for the bars.(gusets in all corners of course :))

I was wondering about the thicknes of the metal for making the brackets,I finised my rough idea of the parer bracket,now im kaning one with mesurements and andles ect ect. Basicly the finalised idea in paper

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks you so much :)

UPDATE:

ok so i have finished my paper template and Im cuting steel right now :). I have made the base plates and now Im thinking of a way to make sure the plates are absolutley straight and aligned to each other before I drill the 2 holes for the bolts.

preoject is on hold until friday,Im working every day from now until friday :(,32hours on top of school :fear its gona be crazy but the cash will le me buy the fallowing

ACT heavy duty street/strip disk
megan H-brace
megan LCA's

:)

I will DEFINETLY make a write up including all of my mesurements to make the brackets and what angle to bend everything.I will make VERY detailed drawings and post them up. Hardest part so far has been figuring out how to make the 2 brackets line up dead on.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Could I suggest bolting all the brackets on the car and then lining the metal bar up? Tack weld it and then remove the entire piece and then fully weld it.

At least thats how Im gonna do it.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what I have done is made the bracket and drilled the center hole,now where to put the other 2 holes so that the bracket is straight is what Im trying to think up on how to do. I may just run 2 pices of tape(both sides of bracket) down the entire length of the bar,hey thats not bad.

why I love SHO gets ya in a thinkin mood :) I will have to put it off untill friday,in the mean time Im going to hnt for some steel bar.

the brackets are of stainless seel what can be welded to SS?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts