Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I needed to find a replacement for the cheapo intake I put on when I put in the D16Y8 (it was actually an APC Accord intake that I cut to make fit to my car). I read all over Honda- tech about the fake J's Racing and decided to try it out. I can't really compare the two intakes because the other one had a hole so it didn't really seal that well and I had a big hesitation before it would produce vacuum inside the intake tube and just pull air from the filter. But damn this thing is loud as hell. I had a stock header and stock exhaust (HX piping though, so no cat) and this thing screams when VTEC engages. I just put on an Apex'i WS cat-back and Carsound high-flow cat and at anything less than half throttle the very mellow, quiet exhaust is just barely louder than the intake, but at WOT the intake gets a helluva lot louder than the exhaust. It definitely needs a new filter though, because the one that comes with it is really small and then they put a "heat shield" which is just a piece of plastic over it. K&N has one that will fit the big ass opening on the end with a CF top for less than $50. I bought my intake for $75 shipped (actually it was a present from my GF). I like it, but it is definitely kind of loud.

·
Registered
112 Posts
What site did you buy it from?

Yea the fake j's racing intake is pretty good from what I hear.

Hows throttle response?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got it from www.sportcompactonly.com. Go Here. $74.99 shipped. Don't let the pictures deceive you because the one they send is on the top picture and underneath that plastic "heat shield" is a little bitty rinky dink filter. It looks nothing like the second picture. Throttle response is excellent, but you have to understand that this is being compared to the other POS that I had before that would take at least a second or 2 before it actually began to suck up air.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think I would get it, but i have an intake already which is already loud as hell at WOT. Got it for free too.

I would like to feel how throttle response is though. I have read reviews from **********. Everyone says its amazing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure that all you have to do is use that "Aircraft Stripper" paint remover stuff and it should be black underneath. I think I am going to do that soon and maybe paint it with some high-temp black to really keep the heat out of the intake pipe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I heard massive intake pipes like that dont help anything, they only hurt your gas mileage......? I dunno, I'm choosing between the AEM SRI and that, so someone point me in the right direction. :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my most recent trip to San Antonio from here (3.5 hour drive with a little city driving) I got over 38 mpg. All I have is intake and exhaust on an EX engine. Considering estimated EPA gas mileage for a 2000 Honda Civic EX MT is 30/35 mpg (city/highway), I say it's not hurting much. This is probably also louder than your normal SRI, so the choice is yours. I would suggest getting a new filter, though, because the one they come with sucks ass. I probably spent more than a normal SRI because of the new filter, but the intake and filter were both presents anyway, and now I have a carbon fiber filter top :w00t .

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
oversized pipes only shift the power curve higher up on the band. an AEM SRI already shifts its max power output to around 7k. do you really think an even fatter pipe that's harder to create pressure in will make you gain power in the mids where you need it? this intake spells massive power loss on low-mid and gains up high if you ever rev to 9k.

·
Registered
1 Posts
thats not always the case the larger pipe may be harder to build pressure but once it does there is always air in the tube therefore increasing throttle response and mid-range power, b/c the air is always in the large pipe, and incoming air is just pushing it through the throttle body faster. my buddy has one in his eg(his is password), and i have one in my dc2(mine is J's)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
:stupid now i have no direct experience with these intakes on civic/integras but i can tell you from personal experience on the S2K that the j's owns the AEM(now i'm also talking CAI) because of what dreamdc277 said. throttle response is unmatched and you can def. feel it in the bottom end as well as the top end

·
Registered
13 Posts
from what I understand that the more air that is avalible to the engine the faster the throtle response so if there was no air filter you would get the best response. so it only makes sense the larger the pipe the more response. Now on the other hand if you increase the size of the intake manifold you can change the power band and the over all power of the motor.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I love my PasswordJDM J's knock off, it works great. My milage is the same and as for the pipe size. The idea is that as the intake gets narrower it accelrates the intake charge into the throttle body.

·
Registered
502 Posts
gmusquiz-Do you have the part number for the K&N Filter that you're going to get as a replacement?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts