Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty good tires for the money. $228 shipped off ebay.

They are pretty sticky for all weather tires, treadwear seems ok and great handling in wet weather....stickiest all season tire i've used in any weather...

I would have gotten the Azeni's but I live in Southern Oregon and it snows here in the winter.....I'm definitely going to get Azeni's next spring though.

:D

·
Registered
232 Posts
A friend of mine had a set of those Ziex. Maybe he got a bad set, but his were slick. They were scary in the rain. Just a bad set of tires.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
a friend of mine slid his crx in a sprinkler overrun....he was getting onto the freeway and he hit the curb and flipped his car...he was using the ziex at all four corners.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
this past summer was the second year for my set, and i've never had any problems. i don't run them in the winter so i can't say how they'd do in snow. in the rain they're one of the better tires i've ever had. would definately buy another set when these where out.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
gurusan said:
Pretty good tires for the money. $228 shipped off ebay.

They are pretty sticky for all weather tires, treadwear seems ok and great handling in wet weather....stickiest all season tire i've used in any weather...

I would have gotten the Azeni's but I live in Southern Oregon and it snows here in the winter.....I'm definitely going to get Azeni's next spring though.

:D
Please provide more info... what other tires have you tried? what is your driving style? do you auto-x? how is the rode noise? How is ride quality? Can you tell if they have a stiff sidewall? What air pressure are you running front/rear?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
kommon_sense said:
Please provide more info... what other tires have you tried? what is your driving style? do you auto-x? how is the rode noise? How is ride quality? Can you tell if they have a stiff sidewall? What air pressure are you running front/rear?
Driving style ranges from mild and calm to aggressive and shifty on the tranny.
The tires I have tried otherwise are Kumho's given to me from the honda dealership (They sucked ass)
I also tried some tires called Cooper super touring but those were 60 series on my old accord.
I dont auto x.
The rode noise is not too bad at all considering that my 10 yr old weatherstripping makes more noise at around 70mph than the tires.
Ride quality is great compared to the tires I used to run; they grip well and corner well for me.
I wouldnt know a stiff sidewall from a soft one.......
Air pressure i've been told is set 10psi down from the max; the guy at my tire shop mounted and filled them.
Rain grip is great; I am usually pretty cautious in the rain and never try to find out what the limit is on the gripping force because well...i dont feel like losing control but from the times i've had to hit the brakes harder than normal, or swerve or accelerate from a stop the tires did quite well.

I have had to go from a 45mph roll to a stop at a red light cam here in so cal in the rain. The tires did great but the abs kinda fucked it all up and landed me at the 2nd limit line.
I HAVE the Falken Ziex 512

As far as on dry ground, the falkens grip pretty darn good for the stuff i've had to encounter such as accident avoidance, hard braking from 80-100mph and swerving when I needed to. They never lost grip but did screech a couple times but that was a diff story and most of the time on purpose because i was pushing it a bit harder than I should have.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Yes im looking to purchase these tires for the the safe DD. I dont want to be riding on poor rain tires.

Anyone else have any reviews on these. Also please be sure to state what kind and how they handled all conditions encountered. Any emergency situations or other useful infos.

I think we are all talking about the 512 ziex tires. So please let us know what type you have.

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
I had mine put on today and balanced (getting alignment tomorrow)

I can instantly feel the throttle response go to the wheels and they are M+S rated so I am sure to be able to drive them up to 115 MPH w/o a problem.

They have a treadline right in the middle for rainy conditions which acts sort of as a "rudder" on wet roads.

Handling is great, as good as my Traction T/As, however I do notice that it is a softer compound so I may be able to take slightly sharper turns than before.

Road noise is literally non-existant, these are very smooth tyres and at I got mine all set for:

$480 at my local tyre shop.

That includes

tyres
mounting and balancing
alignment (they are a Euro/Japanese tuning shop so they do better alignments for lowered vehicles).

These are performance all-season tyres, so they are going to last you roughly 50,000 miles (or 80,000 kilometers) before you are due for a new set.

Because these tyres have rounder sidewalls, I have not noticed any rubbing on my fenders like my old set used to do, a lower profile design also means tyre pressure must be more consistent and should be checked weekly if possible (as if that wasn't easy).

I am very happy with these Falken Ziex 512s and I sure hope they last me the duration I depend on them.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Falkens are good tyres and the Ziex is okie for price but get the grb451.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
when i had the rims on the accord (now sold) i had the 512's, and absolutley LOVED them! for the price, these tires kicked ass.
amazing traction in the dry, and really good traction in the wet.

the only thing is i got about 15,000 miles per set, not even CLOSE to 50,000.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
GRBs are better performance tires. You can tell from the design and the fact that they're more expensive.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Well got the Ziex-512's on the DD. Lets just say compared to the stock michelins. Its pretty sloshy. Seems like the car has more roll , response went way down, needs more correction and they dont inspire much confidence.

I pressed on the sidewall. Very flexy. The aggressive looking design really means nothing. I got the cheaper lower mile rated tires.

The only good thing about the tire is its lightweight. I believe 19lbs vs the 22 or so for the michelins. I also did +zero sizing. So its a wider tire. Looks better, not sure if it would effect the results.

In the wet they seem ok...havent really dont much testing. But with the lighter tire the car accelerates and brakes a bit quicker.

Road noise is fine. I dont notice it, but im also used to loud cars on the interior. So fine to me might be intolerable to someone else....but from what I hear these are good on noise.

Ride , with all the squishyness you would think better. Over serious bumps the car will almost hop in the air. Potholes and holes in the road. Seem to be way more harsh.

All in all , will save more money for a better tire in the future.

·
Registered
10,384 Posts
for the money spent on these tires, seems like you're paying for the aggressive-looking tread. as mike said, they don't inspire much confidence compared to other tires i've had, but they are decent for the price.

seeing as how it's rained all damn week long here, i got some good wet weather time in with these tires. i was pretty impressed with their performance in this situation. but of course, i was coming from an almost bare tire that would hydroplane at the thought of hitting some water.f

i also plus-0'ed my tires from 185-65-14 to 195-60-14, while leaving the back stock size (185's). i don't know if the two differing sizes affect the drive that much, but the tires seem very prone to steering themselves in either direction. although, i've tried to get these to ''squeal" going on cloverleaf exchanges and such, and haven't been able to break them loose, so they much have some grip to them.

all in all, after 2 weeks, i'd give them 2 1/2 of 5 stars... ok tires for the money, but there is much better to be had at nearly equivalent prices.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I have sooo not experienced anything Mike_SHO names. Not to say he is full of crap but on my 5th gen Accord I havent noticed any sloshyness, or car jumping over bumps.
There is a NASTY bump on the 405N in my area, as you head into long beach, it's like a 3-4 inch raise in the pavement on the fwy that occures all within about 8 inches so if you are in that lane and hit this thing, it'll make you hop (Or seriously compress your spring/shock) if you are going anything higher than 60 and me usually doing about 80, my car wont jump.

Road noise is not bad at all, going from barrel bottom cheap tires to these is great. I had Kumho super tourings on stock rims before and had the same amount of noise, which was minimal.
I've hit potholes with these tires and the car has never jumped or gotten any hint of going into the air at all. I hit, came, saw and kept going.

The GRB FK451 tires suck in the rain. They are only good for dry runs, after that it's hell.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
heh, you probably haven't driven your car to the tire's limits yet....or the car's limits are lower than the tire's. i've driven hard on the mr-s w/ these tires and they really aren't that great compared to other tires that can be had for the same price (but way less tread life)

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
What good is low tread life if the tire can exceed the performance of these?
It is no good. At least for me, I use the car daily so it makes absolutely no sense to go get really high performance tires that get chewed up in no time.
With that thinking, I would be reallly broke, have a car that handles beyond that which pavement can stomach and I would be buying almost every month.

For the price paid, the tread life, the wet handling and the overall of this tire, I'ma keep it for now. I may not have driven the car to the tires limits but after reading about people who do that, I can confidently say that at least my car hasnt flown off the road and hit a mountain side or crashed because of me trying to "test" my tires limits. On the accord, it handles as well as it should.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts