Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 Accord LXi has been acting up lately. The fan motor will turn on for hours, long after the vehicle has been shut off. This in 10 degree weather too. If I turn the key to engage the ignition and shut the power off immediatly, the motor will go off. Sometimes it restarts shortly thereafter sometimes not. I just repl;aced the fan relay in the fusebox and nothing has changed. Any suggestions? thanks Tim

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
it's normal. and i bet it's not for hours. alot of the older accords up to the 5gen would have their fans come on and stay on after shutting off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.... I didn't know if I should worry about it. Tim

it also make weird crackling noise from withiin the fusebox that's annoying

·
Registered
365 Posts
err... get that one checked out at a shop... cracking shouldn't be coming from your fuse box, ever.

replacing the relay won't change the fact that your fan turns on after you shut the car off. The relay is just a big fuse... all it does is transfers the energy. eitehr way, It's the fan's job to cool the motor down and keep it at about 175 F so it will do that when you shut it off for that reason. my car does it too, it's nothing to worry about, but that cracking is... get that checked out asap

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
relay is not a big fuse, you doo-doo, it is a an electromagnetic switch that uses a low current circuit to turn on another higher current circuit, and it does make a clicking noise when the contacts snap on or off.

·
Registered
365 Posts
yea, my bad... but relay's should never be put in the under-the-wheel fuse box, it's not cool. like janet jackson... not cool...

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
foozbal said:
yea, my bad... but relay's should never be put in the under-the-wheel fuse box, it's not cool. like janet jackson... not cool...
you are talking about steering wheel right? then why? it is just a switch. DO you know what you are talking :confused

·
Registered
365 Posts
oh, i'm just saying that i don't want relays there, i'm just being crazy, not really serious about that comment... seriously

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
quit whoring my tech forum....you're already in a lot of heat from the administrators and the rest of the staff, so i'd just quit right now :td

where do you think your TURN SIGNAL RELAY IS LOCATED? under the steering wheel :rolleyes

·
Registered
365 Posts
k dude, chill. i was only kidding. there are relays in all the fuse boxes (in case of more than 2). and i talked with the administrater and he said everything was cool. so :p

seriously though, i was only kidding. don't make a big deal, it's not serious

1 - 10 of 10 Posts