Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 96 dx hatch, I've bled the brakes twice trying to fix this issue, but about 2-3 days later, the pedal travel returns to its horrible state. You have to basically push it all the way to the floor to come to a slow stop.

My dad took it to the Honda Dealership (Hendrick Honda) and had them take a look at it. They claimed it was a faulty master cylinder. I go to pick the car up, about 7 pm and as soon as I pull out of the lot, I realize the pedal travel is the exact same as it was before. Again, it was 7pm already, and the shop had been closed, so I couldn't go back and talk to the guys.

My guess now would be a leaking/faulty brake line? Anyone have any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
trilla_hatch said:
So, I have a 96 dx hatch, I've bled the brakes twice trying to fix this issue, but about 2-3 days later, the pedal travel returns to its horrible state. You have to basically push it all the way to the floor to come to a slow stop.

My dad took it to the Honda Dealership (Hendrick Honda) and had them take a look at it. They claimed it was a faulty master cylinder. I go to pick the car up, about 7 pm and as soon as I pull out of the lot, I realize the pedal travel is the exact same as it was before. Again, it was 7pm already, and the shop had been closed, so I couldn't go back and talk to the guys.

My guess now would be a leaking/faulty brake line? Anyone have any idea what this could be?
Does your fliud level ever change? If you have a leak the level will be low. Look around your calipers for leaks, sometimes they get bad seals and you wonrt notice it a lot of the time unless your looking for it.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
My first guess was m.c., but if that didn't solve the problem yes you need to inspect all 4 corners and see if fluid is around any pipe/hose joints or at the calipers/drums. The dealership certainly should have inspected that stuff before jumping to the conclusion that the m.c. is bad, unless fluid levels were always good.

Also perhaps they didn't bleed properly after putting the cylinder in...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
klungemonger said:
That would be pretty lame. It is an absolute necessity in every instance that the complete system must be bled all the way through when replacing an m.c. Any mechanic should know that. If they didn't they need a vicious slapping.
Yeah if they are anything like the dealer here... they dont do any more work then they think is needed. They might have just assumed the m c and didnt even bother with anything else... thats why I dont like dealers... every time I've dealt with lazy pricks.

·
Registered
33,541 Posts
i saw this kind of problem a few weeks ago, turned out someone put the calipers on the wrong side of the car, so the bleeder valve was on the bottom of the caliper and not the top

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
jon said:
i saw this kind of problem a few weeks ago, turned out someone put the calipers on the wrong side of the car, so the bleeder valve was on the bottom of the caliper and not the top
Really? Never heard of that happening before.

And that .gif in your sig is... kinda disturbing yet really cool :eek :confused

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.