Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently my fast idle valve decided to shit out on me, now i have a few questions.
1. what purpose does this valve actually serve?
2. why does the idle of my car only bounce around when im going under 20mph
3. whats the part number on this piece, cuz the one i got from honda doesnt match the one on hondaautomotiveparts?
the number i got from the honda dealership was 16500P13900
on the site it says its 110078 http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...+SI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=THROTTLE+BODY+(2)

any help would be great :D

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
the fast idle thermo valve allows more air to enter the motor which raises the idle during during the first couple of minutes of operation. it has coolant lines running to it and as the water temp increases the spring inside gradually closes the valve untill its fully closed and your iacv takes over 100% of the idle adjustment process.

if you live in a warm climate just block it off. remove it, make a gasket out of a cardboard cereal box that blocks all the holes and reinstall it. reroute the coolant lines going to it also. you will not throw a code as there is no plug going to it.

if you live in a cold climate replace it. you'll have a surging idle or shitty idle untill you do as the valve is most likely stuck open. which in turn allows to much air into the motor once the car is warm and maxs out the duty cycle of the iacv causing the poor idle conditions.

get one from a junkyard and save yourself some money.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info rick. i doubt any junk yards around here have any preludes which could be a good thing, ill probably just spend the money on a new on and call it a day.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Prlude4Life said:
thanks for the info rick. i doubt any junk yards around here have any preludes which could be a good thing, ill probably just spend the money on a new on and call it a day.

my advice here would be to find a junkyard that has preludes, since ur gonna need more parts sooner or later... and why pay an arm, a leg, and a kidney from the dealer?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hobie237 said:
my advice here would be to find a junkyard that has preludes, since ur gonna need more parts sooner or later... and why pay an arm, a leg, and a kidney from the dealer?
i bet this part from a junk yard would cost me at least 35bucks, ill pay the 50-55 bucks for it online and feel good knowing that the part is brand new. i called honda yesterday and they told me 82bucks, if u look at my first post the part is only like $52.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
Prlude4Life said:
i bet this part from a junk yard would cost me at least 35bucks, ill pay the 50-55 bucks for it online and feel good knowing that the part is brand new. i called honda yesterday and they told me 82bucks, if u look at my first post the part is only like $52.

hey, i would get the junkyard part and save 20 bucks, but thats just me...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hobie237 said:
hey, i would get the junkyard part and save 20 bucks, but thats just me...
id rather pay the extra 20 the first time around and know im gettin a brand new part without taking the risk of having it go bad and spending more money in the long run. i like to do things right the first time. thats just me and its my car, thanks for the advice though

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have a crx with b16 and it idles good when its cold then itll be fine until i start driving and stop at a light and then itll surge for like 15 seconds do u think this could be the prob and also i just replaced my iac valve and it was fine until this happend so advise?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.