Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
1,508 Posts
Thats easy... STICK!!
With stick you can shift quicker and at higher RPMs which in turn will generally make your car quicker than the same car in auto. For example a Civic EX in stick will be faster than the same exact civic in auto(unless of course the driver really sucks) neways hope that answeres your question

· Registered
224 Posts
stick is faster as the gearings in the tranmission of the stick and auto are different!!! i think stick gets a higher gearing and can rev out more, i think!!!

but we draging stick is more prefered as u can luanch ur car, when auto u cant...

· Registered
1,893 Posts
alot of drag cars (muscle cars, some imports such as 3z's and supras) are auto's. the reason is that an auto allows the motor to be on full throttle from the get go. also with an automatic transmission there is no way for you to miss a shift. there is also no searching for the optimal shift point, in most of the higher tech cars the shifting is done by computer.
in a drag race most of the time a higher power auto car will beat a higher power manual car. however there are occasions where, when equiped with a better driver the manual will win.
generally tho if you want a fast drag car you opt for an automatic or a semi-automatic transmission.
of course i'm also talking about VERY high performance cars. you can't expect a civic auto tranny to stand up to 400+ turbo hp...

· Registered
224 Posts
5gencivic said:
alot of drag cars (muscle cars, some imports such as 3z's and supras) are auto's. the reason is that an auto allows the motor to be on full throttle from the get go. also with an automatic transmission there is no way for you to miss a shift. there is also no searching for the optimal shift point, in most of the higher tech cars the shifting is done by computer.
in a drag race most of the time a higher power auto car will beat a higher power manual car. however there are occasions where, when equiped with a better driver the manual will win.
generally tho if you want a fast drag car you opt for an automatic or a semi-automatic transmission.
of course i'm also talking about VERY high performance cars. you can't expect a civic auto tranny to stand up to 400+ turbo hp...
true about drag cars are auto,...bout yeah our cars is not like them so in our case, stick is faster!!!

· Registered
2,356 Posts
My 1st car was auto and I hated it.. My last car was 5spd, and so is my current.. I've loved it ever since..

It just makes driving so much more fun.. You're in control, and you (kind of) have to be paying attention too (not so much after you've been doing it for a while, b/c.. you just do it now.. it's natural)

I'll probably never buy another automatic car, unless I have to.. For example, Cadillac Escalade.. no manual trans option, but I'd love to own one.. So I guess I'd be forced, haha.. Or a 360 Modena with F1 shifters.. I've witnessed them first hand, and it's incredible..

· Registered
511 Posts
Stick is faster cuz of the fact it allows for more HP at the wheels and it allows for redline. BUTTTTT Autos seem to have more acceleration ( i dont know why) like through first,, cuz they dont have to worry about balancing a clutch...they just go...also on tracks most of the bigger cars are autos, cuz they dont want to take a chance of missing a gear. but in the end Stick is faster, but auto is quicker...(i guess???)

· Registered
50 Posts
Stick is faster. I used to drive a 90 Celica GT auto with intake and exhaust. I raced another Celica, the 90 GTS, which weighed 150 pounds more than I am, and have a passenger in the car. I lost by 4 car lengths at 80 mph and he was still pulling.

But after the GSR I will retire to an automatic car--with high horsepower. Bumper to bumper traffic sucks big time. Still, driving a stick makes you AWARE of your surroundings. It also made my driving safer too actually =)

· Registered
2,917 Posts
Its the same taking into how much u put in..in definitl;y auto is better when dealing with higher tq and hp apps, even with lower #'s you can do a llot

Auto's
TQ converter
Stall speed
Venom kit
Short shifter
Triptronic
ECU programing

Stick
Short shifter
Shift knob (yes can hurt you)
clutch
Flywheel
Pressure plate
Bearings
Discs

But even with that an auto will not screw up...man will

· Registered
226 Posts
for an everyday occasion and most cars you'll ever see, stick without a doubt (given the driver is good)

but after extensive modding, sometime's auto's are better. a level ten tranny would be nice to have esp if you do a lot of stop and go traffic and don't want the stick.

ideally, with a good auto tranny (though honda doesn't really make these) you'll be pretty close to a stick driver and you'd run consistent times. with a stick, if you can't drive, you can't win.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.