Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard some bad stories of autometer gauges not exactly reading correctly, i'm tryin to find the best gauges (boost, EGT, oil pressure) that i can get without putting a huge dent in my wallet. Does anyone recommend anything else than autometer or are the stories i'm hearing BS?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
put it this way . Pro's use Autometer . Why? becuase they work and are proven and pay you when you win with them .

I run them and always have. i think spending ther moeny on theother bling gauges are worthless. unless you think the diff diplay backround is worth the extra money.

I got autometer carbon fibers and love them .

·
Registered
223 Posts
Autometer get the job done for the money. I have their boost gauge and it reads like 11-12psi when my hondata reads 10.3. I would recommend the greddy gauges for the money. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
i think its the diff in where the vac source is taken from . the hondatas arent always right either.
Im trying the new GE vac log to get more constant and accurate vac readings. i think that will clear it up a bit

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
If you wire up a Autometer A/F guage close to the ECU it be will alot more accurate than hooking it close to the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
no it wont. it has nothing to do with where you wire it , your wiring it to a narrowband o2 to do the job of a wideband o2

·
Registered
212 Posts
guages

i have always used autometer because they work great and look damn good. i would go with the phantom series. they look great and for a lil extra really dresses up the interior nicely

·
Mowing ur Mom's lawn
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a cobalt tach so i'm just gonna get the cobalt gauges to go with the tach..but i'm gonna send the tach back first and get a new one...it isn't sitting on idle..it like sticks at 1200 and i have to tap the gauge to make it move down and it like stutters when it goes up in revs....i've rewired it like 40 diff times and it does the same thing no matter how i wire it...oh well

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
itr206 said:
no it wont. it has nothing to do with where you wire it , your wiring it to a narrowband o2 to do the job of a wideband o2
I'm sorry but that is a Autometer Tech told me over the phone, it gives a cleaner signal. I think they know their products.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
itr206 said:
put it this way . Pro's use Autometer . Why? becuase they work and are proven and pay you when you win with them .
Finally someone that has their head screwed on right.

I mean why do people think nascars run autometer gauges and not apexi? hmmm

I run autometer pro-comp ultralites in my car.

I would run VDO gauges but they don't have the types I want in the sizes or schemes I want :p

I'm sorry but that is a Autometer Tech told me over the phone, it gives a cleaner signal. I think they know their products.
The autometer tech was filling your head with shit just like a mechanic will tell a woman that the exhaust ticking she's hearing is actually a rod knock so she needs a new engine :rolleyes:

The only place you can't tap for signal on an o2 harness is on the coated wires coming from the sensor itself. Signal strength is the same throughout the rest of the wire. If it were any weaker they'd move the ecu closer to the actual harness to avoid any signal degradation which would cause emissions problems from the ecu reading the signal wrong on accident.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
stackz said:
Finally someone that has their head screwed on right.

I run autometer pro-comp ultralites in my car.

I would run VDO gauges but they don't have the types I want in the sizes or schemes I want :p

The autometer tech was filling your head with shit just like a mechanic will tell a woman that the exhaust ticking she's hearing is actually a rod knock so she needs a new engine :rolleyes:

The only place you can't tap for signal on an o2 harness is on the coated wires coming from the sensor itself. Signal strength is the same throughout the rest of the wire. If it were any weaker they'd move the ecu closer to the actual harness to avoid any signal degradation which would cause emissions problems from the ecu reading the signal wrong on accident.

couldnt have said it better myself. granted thru a little more wire you will get a tad more resistance, but not enuff where it will make a sensor that is deisnged for narrow band mesurements read wideband measurements.
rememember they arent Honda techs, they are Autometer techs , some cars do come with o2 sensors that will actually have a useful reading , unfortunalty hondas dont.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
stackz said:
that'd be blasphamy thats why
imagine how crazy a nascar fan would go if they popped there head into a car saw some "yellow skinned, slant eye" gauges on the dash

Autometers are good gauges
but its like any product, some people prefer to spend more money on something that will give the same result

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
i've always used autometer boost gauges. i had two in my impulse and now i have one in my gsx. never had a problem with them. i purchased the boost and egt gauges at the same time. most of my dsm friends advised me against the autometer egt (after i got and installed the gauge). most of them said that the probe that goes in the exhaust manifold takes longer than others to get up to temperature. but the gauge is fine. so i want i could get the greddy probe for example.
no one i know said anything bad about the boost gauge from autometer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts