Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay i have a 92 civic hatch VX...it has a hydro tranny i believe...i plan on running a LS/Vtec setup...im goin to get my hands on a ITR tranny axles and ecu so i waz goin to start with that....the LS block it from a 90-93 teg...the waz i was goin to use is the typical SI head...i would love to run the ITR head but my other friend bought it before i did...now i want to know about the obd1 and II.
would the ITR ecu run the SI head with no complicantions...and would i need to change the engine mount to like the HAsport ones...caust they cost to much...can i jus use the engine mounts from the ITR....would the axels be okay for the car...things like clutch and cams and other mods i was going to worry about later i jus wanna put in the setup i have....:ssj:

· Registered
113 Posts
the Si head is probably the most recommended head for the ls/vtec application.
-you could p&p the head, and upgrade the valvetrain, beef up the internals and you're just as good, if not better, than an b18c5 head*

yes the ITR ecu would work ok
yes the axels will be ok

OBDI - lesser throwbacks from the ECU, hence lesser headaches....is what it means in a nutshell

*there is a flow comparison chart of the b16a/b18c heads by randyman by using the search function to access that information...

· Registered
7,625 Posts
Don't use an ITR ECU. It's OBD2 and your car is OBD1, it's not good to move up into that, it requires extra sensors like a secondary O2 sensor after the cat, and stuff. The OBD stuff is not in the head it's mostly sensors and whatnot in the block. You'd need to install a knock sensor in the block to use a Type R ecu. Use a modded P28 sohc VTEC ecu (92-95 Civic VTEC) or a B16 ECU from del Sol dohc.

You don't need Hasport mounts for a B-series in a Civic, just get the integra mounts with the motor if you can.

· Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well the block that i can get my hands on is the 90-93 teg for a reasonable price....$100-$150...which i think is good...just the motor...yea my friend said i wouldnt really need the upgraded motor mounts...to tell u the truth im not sure if my car is obd 1 or 2...can someone tell me if my car is...is it costly to have the knock sensor and the 2nd o2 sensor to be put in...or can i put it in myself...

· Registered
7,625 Posts
Every car from 92-95 is OBD1 so you have that. 96-00 are all OBD2. If you must use the ITR ECU at least that's better than a GSR ECU since the GSR is trying to operate butterflies for the secondary intake runners. You don't want to mess with that stuff!

If you are going to convert to OBD2 for the ITR ECU, it's really no big deal. There should be a knock sensor spot on the backside of the block. What year is the ITR the ecu would come from? If it's 99-newer, get a GSR or Si wiring harness from those years. If it's the 97-98 ITR, use a GSR harness from 96-98. Then the connectors for the knock sensor and O2 sensors will be there, just get the sensors and plug them in. If you do that I got a knock sensor cheap I'm trying to sell...
hehe, check out that shameless plug! :D

· Registered
84 Posts
klungemonger said:
Every car from 92-95 is OBD1 so you have that. 96-00 are all OBD2. If you must use the ITR ECU at least that's better than a GSR ECU since the GSR is trying to operate butterflies for the secondary intake runners. You don't want to mess with that stuff!

What year is the ITR the ecu would come from? If it's 99-newer, get a GSR or Si wiring harness from those years.
Actually 92-95 are OBD1, 96-98 are OBD2, 99+ are OBD2b, for the civic. As far as the secondary intake runners operating, it’s just an output from the ECU, you don’t have to use it, but if you want to use that UCU, be sure to get the different fuel curve to compensate for not having the dual intake runners.

I would get yourself a P28 (92-95 Civic SI) or if you can find one a P30 (92-95 DelSol SI) which is better because it has the Knock Sensor which keeps your idle a lot smoother. Then throw in a chip to get the added fuel you will need. Your stock VX ECU (P07) isn't a good ECU to chip. It has the Heated LAF sensor which is expensive and twitchy. For the most part all the chips are approximately the same but the vtec point is the big factor.

As far as the ITR ECU (P73)... if it's 99 or newer you basically need the original car to use it, they started using what's called the Immobilizer, it's the stupid key with the code in it. The ECU is basically worthless if you don't have the programmed in key/antenna assembly. The pre-99 P73’s didn’t have this feature.
To make matters worse to get an OBD2 ecu to work properly in an OBD1 car you have to drill a hole in your fuel tank to put in a fuel pressure sensor. . . . that just doesn’t sound like fun to me. (I'm doing a '00 ITR swap in my VX in two weeks)

If you decide to get serious and want to throw in an OBD2 ECU with your stock harness, I have a OBD1 to OBD2 ECU wiring chart if you would like it, just PM me or hit me up with an email.

Last but not least, your clutch isn't going to handle the additional HP well. I would replace that with the engine. Also your trans is geared really high, hitting vtec with it means getting above 40mph, if you are investing the money, save up, do the work once and do it right. I know all too well how difficult that is, it took me three years to save up.

The VX has a hydro tranny.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.