Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help? i drive a '98 civic ex, manual trans. i'm wondering if there's any way i could route colder air to my filter... right now, i have a K&N short ram intake, and the filter draws right above where the OEM air box used to be.... i notice the filter is a little warm, where it's closer to the radiator, so if anyone knows an easy way to make a heat shield or how to route cold air onto the filter, that'd be great. thanks for your time, guys

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
go scouting for stuff at home depot and get creative.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i made a cold air intake for my legacy by buying a piece of flexi tube ($19), and an air funnel ($15) from autozone. i took out the factory intake baffle, and routed the tube from the front bumper to the factory air box (which has a K&N drop in filter).

you can probably achieve the same for considerably less at home depot. as far as a heat shield is concerned, you could just buy some sheet metal, cut out a hole big enough to fit the intake arm through, and go from there.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
take the headlight off and drive without it :D

seriously now, a piece of aluminum bolted from one side to the other between the filter and the radiator. with some foam insulation around the whole thing. then form it to touch the hood perfectly then your good.

·
Registered
908 Posts
But since you already have the short ram, run a piece of aluminum dryer ducting from behind the bumper and up to the end of the filter leaving a few inches of gap. Keep the end behind the bumper at about a 45 degree angle facing in towards the license plate. And surround it with something to direct more air into it rather than around it. Anything from foam to cardboard can do that.

Might be ghetto, but if done right it'll reduce the temperature around the air filter a little bit. Paint it black and you won't even notice it from the outside.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the ideas so far, everyone. i was kinda thinking something similar to how the WRX has an air duct out in front and above the radiator, then feeds the resonator all that air... my idea was was to mimic that kinda, then feed that tube to my resonator, so that could blow some ammount of cold air up to my filter. (the resonator and my filter aren't attatched) i don't want to have anything blow too directly onto the filter since i live in colorado and as i speak, we're getting like... 6 inches of snow.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
civic steve said:
thanks for the ideas so far, everyone. i was kinda thinking something similar to how the WRX has an air duct out in front and above the radiator, then feeds the resonator all that air... my idea was was to mimic that kinda, then feed that tube to my resonator, so that could blow some ammount of cold air up to my filter. (the resonator and my filter aren't attatched) i don't want to have anything blow too directly onto the filter since i live in colorado and as i speak, we're getting like... 6 inches of snow.
i was actually trying to do something very similar with my legacy, since the motor i have has essentially the same exterior geometry (minus the turbo of course) as a WRX. my thoughts were to use the front grill as the induction point, and have the air tube attach directly to it. the advantages of this would be: 1) colder air, and 2) less risk of massive water induction (if you angle the end piece down slightly, you can even help prevent rain from getting sucked in!).

the problem was that there was no way to physically fit the pipe that way while keeping a stock appearance (trying to avoid getting nabbed by the cops!).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yep... that's the problem i'm looking at right now, is i can't really see a way i could mount anything like that and still be able to close my hood. instead, i headed out, bought some drier aluminum ducting and trying to cut a rudementary heat shield.. i figure, as long as i could block the majority of the warm air from the radiator, remove my resonator, then i should get all the cold air that's practical... if not, well... a greddy evo 2 exhaust is on its way anyway...

·
Registered
526 Posts
pvc pipe, dryer duct, 3" silicon hose, intake clamps, tin, bolts, and nuts

remove front bumper
drain and remove radiator

Put the pvc in to hole on the bottom of the stock box. Cut the tin into strips and bend them around the pvc to make the brackets(the ones in red). Bolt them into holes in the frame in front of the radiator. Use the silicon hose and intake clamps to conect the pvc and the dryer duct.

Now you the benefit of the stock box and cold air intake. :D

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
that one civic said:
i made a cold air intake for my legacy by buying a piece of flexi tube ($19), and an air funnel ($15) from autozone. i took out the factory intake baffle, and routed the tube from the front bumper to the factory air box (which has a K&N drop in filter).

you can probably achieve the same for considerably less at home depot. as far as a heat shield is concerned, you could just buy some sheet metal, cut out a hole big enough to fit the intake arm through, and go from there.
I did this w/my teg, its worked well, but you need a good spot in the front bumper for the opening

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
DriftKingB18 said:
I did this w/my teg, its worked well, but you need a good spot in the front bumper for the opening
i have my air funnel wedged in the factory passenger side fog light hole, gets really good air flow there! the only problem is that when i'm actually running my fog lights (which are aftermarket and considerably smaller than the factory ones), the airflow does get heated up somewhat by the lights themselves, but it's not that big of a deal.

i can take pics if anyone needs a reference.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
that one civic said:
i have my air funnel wedged in the factory passenger side fog light hole, gets really good air flow there! the only problem is that when i'm actually running my fog lights (which are aftermarket and considerably smaller than the factory ones), the airflow does get heated up somewhat by the lights themselves, but it's not that big of a deal.

i can take pics if anyone needs a reference.
I have a spot directly under the left turn signal, I had to cut it out a little bit, but the 3" flex hose fits perfectly.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
civic steve said:
please do, that'd be great.... all the help is, well.... helpfull and i appreciate the diagrams and all, thanks!
okay, here's some quick snaps that i did today. unfortunately i couldn't do a more in-depth photo shoot today, but if you need better pics, i can do that.

this first one shows the fog light opening, can't really see anything in there can you? :)

this next one shows the air funnel itself. in the above picture, this would be just behind the fog light itself, and tucked into the bottom left hand corner of the bumper opening. the funnel originally came with a chromed finish, but i painted it flat black to keep it low-key. i'm not really sure what all those wire looms are from!

this next photo shows two things: 1) how white my hand is in direct sunlight, and 2) how the flex tube is routed down from the fender well to the air funnel in the front bumper. when there is heavy rain, i usually remove the funnel, and retract the tube up to just above where my hand is in the pic (very handy function of the tube! allows me to essentially switch to a short ram on the fly).

this last pic shows the engine bay of my leg, specifically the part where the intake system is. you can't see it, but there is a coupler attached to the factory air box which leads into the opening where the factory baffle would be. using this and a hose clamp, i secured the flex tube to the factory air box, the tube is just then left loose, and routed down as shown in the pic above.

if i really wanted to, i could fabricate some mounts which would secure the intake tube to the inside of the fender well, but that's not really too important to me right now. if you notice the small black plastic arm just in front of the air box, that is how air is normally fed into the factory air system. i mentioned above that i had thought of routing the flex tube through that part, and towards the front grill. there is an opening just to the left of that plastic arm, which is where the factory baffle would attach to it. were i to run the flex tube in this manner, i would use this opening (would probably have to cut it slightly wider), route the tube around the front of the engine bay, and then have it end directly behind the front grill (angled slightly down to minimize water ingestion.

i didn't snap a pic of the front grill today, but here's an older pic that should show you what i'm talking about:

altogether, this setup cost me about $100. $60 for the K&N drop-in filter, $20 for the flex tube, $15 for the funnel, and about $7 for the coupler and clamp. you don't really need the funnel, but i'd definitely recommend you get the coupler and the clamp, otherwise the tube won't actually be fastned to the intake box. as was mention above, you might be able to find the tube for cheaper at Home Depot, and K&N filters for civics can be had for far less on eBay than i paid.

i don't know about any actual power gains, but i can tell you that throttle response is definitely a lot better. i hope these pics help out, if you need further illustration, just ask!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
i was thinking about using a second filter myself, because i know that while the K&N filters do flow much better than the paper ones, they don't filter as well. the only problem is that i have no idea what effect using two filters will have on the flow rate, it might actually defeat the purpose of using a K&N filter! my thoughts though, would be that using a high quality foam filter on the tip of the pipe would filter out almost everything bad, and then the K&N drop in would be there for back up just in case. still, this combination probably wouldn't filter as well as the stock paper filter.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.