Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

some background
I've had my car since 30k miles, its a 99 prelude. Right now its about 90k. 6 months ago i had major work done on the motor's top end because I had a crack in one of the cylinders (had no pressure) and some bent valves.

Even before the motor work I would notice (at around 75k) that when the car idles I could feel the shakes especially if my hands are on the steering wheel. Since the shakes were there before the rebuild I am assuming that the motor work is irrelevant. Now I read in the faqs that doing an engine flush and degunk helps the idle but I think the shop probably did all that when they opened up the engine since they had to put in new valves.
Any suggestions or is this something natural that happens as the car gets older. Just wondering if others w/ similar mileage experience the same thing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also wanted to add that the shaking is felt not only when the car is warm and idling low but even when the car is cold and idling at 1k+

·
Registered
486 Posts
my motor is at 88k and it feels the same. I mean it doesn't shake like it's gonna blow but enough to annoy the heck out of me.

Also this dam shaking is making my AEM cai rattle against the metal, freakin load sometimes.

would a tune up get rid of this?

·
Registered
148 Posts
does the car shake in neutral also? does it make a funny noise when going over bumps or potholes? does it make a sounds when you put in the key and start it up? if so it could be your motor mounts. you may need new motor mounts. if so you can get aftermarket ones that hold stronger and reduce wheel hop, etc. but these make your car vibrate a little in neutral because it holds the engine tighter and distributes the shaking from the engine throughout the chassis of the car. stock ones are way too expensive. you can order the same ones that honda uses from places like ac delco and they work just as well. if that's not your problem then g'luck finding out the real problem.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I remember 5 month ago, when I changed the Timing Belt, did a Valve Adjustment and changed the timing tensioners, I think they are 2 of them. It fixed like 75%! :D
Hope it help. I think you can start fron a valve adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts