1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Updated: Wednesday, 09 May 2007
Fils-Aime: Nintendo Tapping “White Spaces”
By Tom Ivan

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime has been speaking about the technical divide that separates the technophiles from the technophobes, the active consumers from the potential consumers, and how Nintendo is attempting to bridge the divide by tapping the “white spaces.”
In a new report on CNet, Fils-Aime examines the marketing challenges faced by video game companies. He suggests that while core consumers will always respond to technological advancements, those same advancements will consistently deter potential consumers concerned about costs and demands on their time, hence creating a niche market.

“For us, this raised two fundamental challenges that I believe now, or someday soon, will confront almost every consumer-facing technology business. First, how do you satisfy the core while still expanding appeal? And second, how do you leverage your strengths against entirely untapped audiences--to the so-called "blue oceans" in popular marketing speak?”

The answer is to innovate. Fils-Aime forwards one of Harvard professor Clayton Christensen's models of innovation. “Provide a new product that actually underperforms on an established industry metric for "progress," and substitute an alternative that typically is smaller, less expensive and easier to use.”

Fils-Aime cites a McKinsey study that suggests a middle ground exists where products that follow this model could flourish. “It describes 'white spaces,'" or markets that exist (perhaps unrecognized) between typical product categories. They "fuse consumer benefits" by combining "brands, technological breakthroughs or insights" in new ways.”

According to Fils-Aime, the Wii satisfies the above-mentioned model of innovation and capitalizes on a consumer middle ground. “It is purposely so simple and intuitive that anyone in a household can use it. It also incorporates functions like a photo browser, an Internet browser, and custom news and weather channels, which lead some people to wonder what these elements have to do with video games.” He says the Wii’s multi-functionality is in fact “a conscious move into "white space"--in this case, that sizable gap between technophiles and technophobes where consumers just want an understandable way to catch up with the times.”

·
Registered
19,132 Posts
and so far save for a few games, innovation has not been anyone's priority...mainly a shitty port that involves that you yank the controller left or right instead of using the d-pad that isn't nearly as frustrating.

The main problem with the Wii is it's target audience, they don't know what a good game is from a bad one, and most just own Wii sports...and are happy with it.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dmb said:
and so far save for a few games, innovation has not been anyone's priority...mainly a shitty port that involves that you yank the controller left or right instead of using the d-pad that isn't nearly as frustrating.

The main problem with the Wii is it's target audience, they don't know what a good game is from a bad one, and most just own Wii sports...and are happy with it.
The Wii, like all starting consoles, is having a tough time on the software side at this point. However, the library and number of good games increases every day. I personally think Wii Sports and Wii Play are awesome. If you want something that will appeal to the more "hardcore" audience try Zelda.

The support for the Wii will continue to grow. Many developers still are not yet taking advantage of the motion sensing, but that will come with time. It was the exact same thing when the DS came out a few years back. The touch screen started out by being mainly just a gimmick in most games, but eventually some really good stuff started getting pumped out. The same is sure to happen to the Wii.

At least the 4 games I have(not including my Virtual Console games) make me feel as if my $250 was well spent. I only have one game for my PS3 at this point(I'm still planning on picking up Motorstorm at some point), but that is the system that makes me feel like I was robbed of $600.

BTW, people know the difference between good and bad games regardless of previous playing experience. When people pick something up and investigate it, they are either entertained or not entertained. Those games just happen to be very "pick up and play" if you will. There is nothing wrong with being simple. I am a very experienced gamer myself and I still have a good time playing those games every once in a while. Sure it won't hold my interest for 4-6 hours but I have other games for that purpose. If me and my friends or my GF just want something fun to do for an hour it works perfectly. You thinking Wii Sports amd Wii Play are bad games is just your own judgement. I guarantee you would appreciate these two games more if you would just take them for what they are intended to be.

·
Registered
11,252 Posts
Believe me Wii is an amazing party system. Even girls who think video games are gay, can get into it and actually enjoy it. Wii's target is not what the target is for the ps3 and the 360. Once smash and mario party come out, its only a matter of time before even more exciting and innovative games come out.

However, even though I own Zelda, and think it is an amazing game and is very well made. I got bored with it. I havent touched my wii in about 2 months. Most of my friends are away at school but when they do come home, we bust it out, play some wii sports and have a great time. However, that game is starting to get old, so only a little while longer and mario party and smash will be out and we can enjoy it more. If I bought a ps3 and had the same thing happen where I dont play it for a few months cause I get bored, then I would feel a lot worse since I spent 600 bucks, but since it was only 250, I don't mind waiting a while and letting it gather some dust until the good games start rolling out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.