Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 Teg GSR. I know the final drive ratio is 4.40to1. Do any of the newer Type-R's have a lower final drive(i.e. 4.66or 4.77)? I planning on installing a LSD in the near future and would like to lower my gearing at the same time.

·
Premium Member
18,247 Posts
sometimes you'll find a used ITR LSD with the final drive installed..

i know i missed a damn good one that had the final drive gear set on it for 500 bucks...i was pissed lol

·
Registered
928 Posts
The final drive will definately make you car faster, and I would suggest that you get it. However, you know that your 5th gear RPM's will be around 4000 at 70-75 mph, this leads to increased engine noise on the freeway and worse gas mileage. These things don't matter to me, but I just wanted you to be aware.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Only the JDM TYPE R has a lower final drive at 4.785:1. The USDM TYPE R IS THE SAME 4.40 that you already have. Don't waste your money buying a USDM one.

·
Registered
127 Posts
White98LS said:
Only the JDM TYPE R has a lower final drive at 4.785:1. The USDM TYPE R IS THE SAME 4.40 that you already have. Don't waste your money buying a USDM one.
What he said. ATS also makes a 4.928 FD for the GSR/ITR tranny (former moderater 1Greyteg uses one on his car) as well as a close gear ratio set for 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears.

I belive there was one other company that makes one too, but I forgot their name. CUSCO supposingly makes a 5.xxx one. Cost less than the ATS.

If you want bang for your buck, go for the JDM ITR FD. For both the ATS and DM ITR, you'll have to replace your first gear as well.

And if you plan on doing the LSD too, you should do them all together to save on labor.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
won't a JDM shorter final drive limit topspeed even more so unless you can rev higher than stock? Say you have stock GSR redline which is...I dunno, but wouldn't you hit the revlimiter in 5th gear sooner than you would if it was a stock final drive? Just trying to understand, I get that it makes the car accelerate faster, but doesn't it make the gears shorter limiting top speed? :confused:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Yes, I think this is true for the GS-R. It is only designed to rev to 8000 RPMs, therefore the top speed is limited because at 8000 RPMs it cannot keep going like the type r could.

This is due to the type r having a 8600 RPM redline, (I think it is 8600 RPM, may be 8700?) This wouldn't be true though if the GS-R could rev as high as the type r.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
GS-Rs don't top out at redline in 5th gear though, they are drag limited and can't reach the end of 5th stock.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I've redlined my 5th gear in my LS trans in my LS/VTEC and we were giong about 140 something, but will a shorter final drive ratio ultimately lower your top speed potential?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yes it will lower your top speed potential since you can't go any faster than your rev limiter. With long stock gearing, you could modify your car so that it redlines in 5th.... but with a shorter final drive and thus a shorter 5th gear, that top limit will be lower. Most people don't realize that the vast majority of cars will simply stop accelerating before reaching redline in top gear.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
White98LS said:
Yes it will lower your top speed potential since you can't go any faster than your rev limiter. With long stock gearing, you could modify your car so that it redlines in 5th.... but with a shorter final drive and thus a shorter 5th gear, that top limit will be lower. Most people don't realize that the vast majority of cars will simply stop accelerating before reaching redline in top gear.
Mine does it, but I also don't have an electronic speedometer or fuel cut off like most hondas these days, but top speed is really important to me so how would I go about getting fast acceleration (besides adding more horsepower I know that much ;) ) and keeping my high top speed?

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Ideally for performance you'd have gearing that allows you to hit your drag-limited top speed right before or at the limiter. This would allow as short gearing as you can have while still not having your top speed limited by your rev limiter. This is not necessarily the gearing optimized for top speed (you'd want to be at your engine's peak mechanical effective power at top speed to maximize speed), but it is the best compromise between top end and acceleration.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Question

Will the JSM LSD with final drive bolt up directly with no modifications? I have a friend that said that the Teeth on the JDM gears differ from the USDM ones. :confused: Is what he is saying true or is he just full of s#!t.:eek:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've redlined my 5th gear in my LS trans in my LS/VTEC and we were giong about 140 something, but will a shorter final drive ratio ultimately lower your top speed potential?
i have an LS that I topped out at 135 once...which was b4 redline. once i put the GSR trans on (shorter gear ratios) i could only hit 129 at redline

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
RedTegra said:
i have an LS that I topped out at 135 once...which was b4 redline. once i put the GSR trans on (shorter gear ratios) i could only hit 129 at redline

This doesn't sound quite right.

Even with GSR gearing and lowering the revlimit to lets say 7000 RPM, your gear limited top speed would be 137 MPH.

So it sounds like your car is either weak or out of tune but, for certain it isn't the GSR gearing that limited your top speed to what you reported.

And where are you "topping out" your car anyway?

Don't even say on the street.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
Yes but with a structurally much weaker open differential.... the ITR has a stronger, limited-slip diff.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Even with GSR gearing and lowering the revlimit to lets say 7000 RPM, your gear limited top speed would be 137 MPH.So it sounds like your car is either weak or out of tune but, for certain it isn't the GSR gearing that limited your top speed to what you reported.
I know my car could have barely gotten to 137 even with the LS trans and i know my car isnt weak...i ran 15.7 on stock tires which i was told was decent for a i/e LS

1 - 20 of 32 Posts