Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my wife's approval to order a b16 to swap into my 1990 hatch, after my 1.5 accidentaly blue itself up. anyways, i was wondering what i should upgrade on the stock b16 to help make more power? i plan on adding a turbonetics turbo kit in a few months, but i was wondering what cams will work best with this kit? should i change to an after market intake manifold and throttle body or should i keep those stock? what else can i do with out touching the bottom end? any info is greatly appreciated. oh yeah, how do i get the wifes approval for the turbo kit? any ideas????

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
imaimportnewbie said:
I just got my wife's approval to order a b16 to swap into my 1990 hatch, after my 1.5 accidentaly blue itself up. anyways, i was wondering what i should upgrade on the stock b16 to help make more power? i plan on adding a turbonetics turbo kit in a few months, but i was wondering what cams will work best with this kit? should i change to an after market intake manifold and throttle body or should i keep those stock? what else can i do with out touching the bottom end? any info is greatly appreciated. oh yeah, how do i get the wifes approval for the turbo kit? any ideas????
buy her something nice instead of focusing solely on yourself since you love her more than your car, right? thats what id say. then buy kit.

if you order a turbo kit, any turbo cams would be good. toda,crower make good cams but they are expensive. try www.inlinefour.com or www.kingmotorsports.com they are my fave 2 sites to get my shit. what are your whp goals? IMO leave the intake mani and throttle body alone, they arent worth the minor gains. maybe if you were into an all motor build. without touching the bottom end, get the turbo kit(any good kit should come with bigger injectors), temporarily use whatever FMU comes with the kit and get crome/ubderdata/hondata and have it dynotuned. youd have no prob smoking some v8s.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
honestly, id reccomend getting an LS swap and boosting that. You will easily hit 250hp reliably.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
if you don't plan on upgrading the bottom end then I would just stick with the b16 OEM cams...or....b18c1 cams are a nice, cheap little upgrade that works very well with turbo...

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
OnBoostD16 said:
honestly, id reccomend getting an LS swap and boosting that. You will easily hit 250hp reliably.
tons cheaper too. and you get a tq monster.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
huh?

what is an ls engine? how much more would it cost to have it swapped in? i was told 3800 for a b16 installed in my hatch. i could do it if i was back home on the mainland, but i am in hawaii with the military and no tools. is 3800 for a b16 and instalation a good price? what is the difference between a b16 and an ls?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
imaimportnewbie said:
what is an ls engine? how much more would it cost to have it swapped in? i was told 3800 for a b16 installed in my hatch. i could do it if i was back home on the mainland, but i am in hawaii with the military and no tools. is 3800 for a b16 and instalation a good price? what is the difference between a b16 and an ls?
LS is the nickname for the b18b out of an integra LS. no vtec, but it is preferrable for boost because of its low compression,larger displacement, and the torquiest engine of the B series. and its the cheapest. a complete changeover probably less than a grand plus labor to install. but 3800 for an installed b16 is not too bad.

but if you got the $, get a b20z out of a crv and boost it. those motors are also extermely cheap and are favorable because of low compression and displacement, but the stock cylinder sleeves are weaksauce so if you go this route make sure you got the $ to get the sleeves done.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
LS has 142hp/127tq stock vs the 160hp/111tq b16a, and my mistake, the type R engine(b18c5) has 134 tq which would be the most, but thatd cost you 5 grand plus install. might as well get a k20 for that price.

but if you swap that LS into a hatch, you wont be disappointed stock. especially over whatever d15b7/d16a6 you had in it.

ask the place that quoted you for the b16 if theyd do the b18b instead if youre interested.

if this is your first honda build, try to keep in mind that these are tiny displacement engines. bolt ons might add good power on v8s but they dont do shit on 1.6/1.8 engines. you can make power out of them all motor, but it takes serious money. its just a waste unless you go turbo or supercharger.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what can i do other than adding a turbo for more power whille keeping streetable balls to the wall feeing? i had a supercharged 5.0 convert that ran 12's i would like to do the same in my hatch and keep it a dd. do they my swap kits for an ls motor? with a turbo kit for a b16 fit the ls or who makes a turbo kit for a 90 hatch with the ls motor?

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
imaimportnewbie said:
what can i do other than adding a turbo for more power whille keeping streetable balls to the wall feeing? i had a supercharged 5.0 convert that ran 12's i would like to do the same in my hatch and keep it a dd. do they my swap kits for an ls motor? with a turbo kit for a b16 fit the ls or who makes a turbo kit for a 90 hatch with the ls motor?
when you buy turbo kits, buy it for the engine, not car specific. if you wanna keep it stock block and still dd, just turbo and a good set of cams should set you in 12s if you can drive good, maybe some good tires/slicks at the track. qauife makes lsd. hatches are tons lighter than foxbodies. but if you want more theres always nitrous. make sure you get a good tune for relaibility and better power.

for swap kits, visit www.hmotorsonline.com very reputable site, good prices, etc. there is plenty of aftermarket support for the b18b.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.