Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Fiji Blue Pearl Civic Si Coupe. Picked her up on the March 3rd with 6284 on the clock. I freakin' LOVE this thing. It's my first M/T car. My other car is a 2002 Civic LX coupe with the good ol' slushbox (hence levelsevencivic). The car is a dream to drive, even though I'm not entirely used to driving manual yet.

I now understand what everyone means when they talk about VTEC 'kicking in' even though VTEC is always on. All I have to say is WOWFUN!

Anyways... PICS!

As for mods... The only planned performance mod I have for now is the most important and least expensive one...
Driver improvement.

As for non-performance, I plan on removing the dealer decal and probably the pinstripe too.

· Registered
1,322 Posts
love tha color, nice choice tho u do understand that sooner or later u'll get raped by tha new 4dr si's lol, thas jus how it is...i love tha new si's, quick lil thing...hope u get drivin a manual down pat, good first practice car :D

· Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have no earthly idea but i kno that every coupe thas raced one (stock for stock) has lost
From what I hear, it's so close, it's really a drivers race.
For the record, I believe that the FA5 (4door) is about 60lbs heavier.

As far as racing is concerned... I don't intend on racing any time in the foreseeable future. No track and definitely no street racing. The most I'll do is take the car on 'spirited drives' around the back-roads in my area.
Twisties = bliss.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Lower it about an inch and tint the windows, to top it off.

Nice car, congrats on purchase. I like that color alot

· Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lower it about an inch and tint the windows, to top it off.
Window tint is on my to-do list but, it was also on my to-do list for my EM2 and 7 years later, still no tint. :p

As for lowering the car... that's also something I want to do but, I'm gonna enjoy the car as it is for now. If I start modding right away, I won't be able to truly tell the difference and thus, appreciate the mod.

As it stands, the factory suspension is already head and shoulders above my 2002 LX.

If/when I do lower it, it'll be a modest 1-1.5 inches. Anything more and I feel like I'll be picking up road-kill.

· Registered
624 Posts
enjoy your new car!

just FYI, vtec is not "always on." i-VTEC is a three stage crossover. until approximately 3.5k RPM (sorry, too lazy to look up exact specs right now,) your car is essentially in econobox mode. you will notice a torque curve at 3.5k RPM. the glorious ricer-tested mother-approved VTEC camshafts cross over and engage at 5800 RPM until redline. engine power typically bottlenecks around 7800 RPM, but when racing, it's in your best interest to shift at redline to prevent dropping out of VTEC when landing in your next gear. there's a pretty nasty dip at the VTEC crossover, but nothing drastically larger than any other honda.

and for you guys saying the sedan beats the coupe, what are you smoking? :p any discrepancy between the sedan and coupe is purely driver performance. the sedan does weigh 40 pounds more, but this is negligible.

· Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just FYI, vtec is not "always on."
I respectfully disagree. Although the crossover does give a nice 'kick' effect (@5800 RPM on the current Si), vtec is not turning on at that point.
Vtec is already on and is programmed to choose the 5800RPM point(or whatever point on your vtec equipped motor of choice) to change to the more aggressive behavior.

It's like how, when it's on, traction control doesn't limit your power all the time. It only limits power when you start to break traction. When TCS is off, you can break traction all day without it interfering.

If I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me but, I'm quite confident in my understanding of vtec in that respect.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
i-VTEC is always on, VTEC is only on at a set point

iVTEC like was said, is in multiple stages. The engine needs to be able to have a certain airvelocity, and if the regular VTEC was on all the time, it would be like owning an egay header, shitty low and mid, and only good in hogh range.

iVTEC basically adjusts for airvelocity, as a bottleneck is coming up in the rpms, the iVTEC opens a big more, and so on.

regular VTEC shouldnt function under its OEM set point, yet people dont realize its only beneficial to the motor to leave it alone.

Look at the older toyota performance moptors. THey had 8 runners on their intake manifolds, and one per cylinder was operational under like 4 grand, as the engine got closer, the butterfly's would open slightly, until 4grand or whatever point was reached, then be fuilly open, allowing 2 runners per cylinder to be used.

Hope this clarifies a bit

· Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i-VTEC is always on, VTEC is only on at a set point

iVTEC like was said, is in multiple stages. The engine needs to be able to have a certain airvelocity, and if the regular VTEC was on all the time, it would be like owning an egay header, shitty low and mid, and only good in hogh range.

iVTEC basically adjusts for airvelocity, as a bottleneck is coming up in the rpms, the iVTEC opens a big more, and so on.

regular VTEC shouldnt function under its OEM set point, yet people dont realize its only beneficial to the motor to leave it alone.

Look at the older toyota performance moptors. THey had 8 runners on their intake manifolds, and one per cylinder was operational under like 4 grand, as the engine got closer, the butterfly's would open slightly, until 4grand or whatever point was reached, then be fuilly open, allowing 2 runners per cylinder to be used.

Hope this clarifies a bit
Just when I think I have vtec all figured out... sonofabish! Meh... learning ish good. :hug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.