Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally boosting after months of planning and deciding. Im boosting 7 psi for now because i dont want to put too much stress on the tranny (its auto!)

Now for the problems..... I was driving around last night for about an hour then i noticed my temp guage started to rise and then my car started overheating. We checked it out and the overflow bottle was filled all the way up and was even leaking a little. Im thinking it might be the thermostat. My friend told me to drve with the heat on and the temp went back down to half.
Du u guys have any idea what this could be?
:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,254 Posts
are u sure its not leaking from anywhere? If it is the resivor may be full but your radiator empty. check that when the engine cools down. If it starts to over heat again turn on your a/c to get the extra fan on and move the switch to hot air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Well, I also have a turbo accord. And I bet you, you don't have your ac fan anymore? do you

And that happened to me about a week after being turbo. You have to upgrade your radiator because your stock rad can't hadle it, so it overflow into your overflow tank and that tank starts to leak it after its full, and then you never notice, you don't have any coolant left and you will overheat. So atleast once in the morning, open your radiator (when its cool) and dump whatever is in the overflow tank into the radiator. I have to do it everymorning and its about a quarter of my overflow that I have to put back in. :rolleyes: its anoying but I will have to do it till I get a racing radiator.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gob_2k said:
Well, I also have a turbo accord. And I bet you, you don't have your ac fan anymore? do you

And that happened to me about a week after being turbo. You have to upgrade your radiator because your stock rad can't hadle it, so it overflow into your overflow tank and that tank starts to leak it after its full, and then you never notice, you don't have any coolant left and you will overheat. So atleast once in the morning, open your radiator (when its cool) and dump whatever is in the overflow tank into the radiator. I have to do it everymorning and its about a quarter of my overflow that I have to put back in. :rolleyes: its anoying but I will have to do it till I get a racing radiator.
OMG ...... u r right. My turbo performance manifold does not allow both fans so im only running on one fan now..... and when i was overheating last night the overflow bottle was full all the way and started leaking. Ill do what u said and keep u guys posted. Why does the temp gauge go down when the heat is on though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,629 Posts
sounds just like when I blew my headgasket...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,555 Posts
will one of those slim fans fit in there? if it doesnt then change the one you have to an aftermarket one.
do you have a FMIC?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do have a starion FMIC and a tranny cooler........a friend of mine mounted a motorcycle fan in front of the radiator and it worked for his turbo accord.
All the accord turbo kits that dont require u to rmeove one fan seem to be free of this problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
that only one of the benefits I saw from using the fmax kit, but I am not paying 3700 dollars for half the performance and parts I have now.

Yes a slim fan will fit, Like a Fal one.. but they don't make one for the accord:rolleyes: I am experimenting with one right now though. It will be a lot better once I get my aluminum racing radiator by fluidyne. hehe.

also, what weight oil are u running? I have a oil cooler installed for my engine, really really helped it out and gave me more oil capacity. Aswome. Only one problem, when you get the oil cooler adapter (if universal) make sure your seal from your oil filter sits right on it, sometimes you have to find a different oil filter. I am also running 20-50w oil synthetic. Regular is too hard. But the 20-50 is kinda hard in the morning, but that made it run a little better too. I wouldn't go with the 20-50w but defeatnally something higher then 10-30w or you are asking for problems. also, wrap your downpipe and dump tube with heat wrap, it really cooled down my engine bay. Also, Royal Purple oil really helped. I was really scared about how long the oil would last since its race or whatever and found out that its actually synthetic and will last longer then regular oil.

Nice to hear your are finally running a turbo man. Its addicting isn't it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,555 Posts
20w50, 15w40 or even 10w40 might not be that great for him. remember we live in NYC. it gets quite cold here during the winter (unlike cali where you're at:D )
for the winter his best bet would be 5w30 or 10w30 at the most.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol....its already starting to get cold here too!
Dont mind if i start asking some questions......cuz there's hardly any turbo accords out there for me to get info. We seem to be running the same setup. I do plan on doing the thermostat drilling mod and trying to see which slim fan will fit.
What kind of mani do u have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
I did the thermostat holes already, when I put the new engine in. It is a Honda thermostat and I only drilled 4 small holes all around. I don't know if it helped because I did it before we put the motor in. The manifold I purchased it from diamond star motorsports . com they actually located in new jersey or new york, they were really nice, and they make 3 inch exhaust, i am sure if you went to there shop they will make something for you. Check them out. Anyways, they said they had to order themanifold from turbonetics.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
95accordlx said:
I'm finally boosting after months of planning and deciding. Im boosting 7 psi for now because i dont want to put too much stress on the tranny (its auto!)

Now for the problems..... I was driving around last night for about an hour then i noticed my temp guage started to rise and then my car started overheating. We checked it out and the overflow bottle was filled all the way up and was even leaking a little. Im thinking it might be the thermostat. My friend told me to drve with the heat on and the temp went back down to half.
Du u guys have any idea what this could be?
:confused:
haha and I remember you saying that you don't have a problem with your car after a turbo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Re: Finally turbo!!!!!!!

mayhem2 said:
haha and I remember you saying that you don't have a problem with your car after a turbo.
I ve been turbo for a few days and this is my only thread since......so u must have me confused:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Finally turbo!!!!!!!

95accordlx said:
I ve been turbo for a few days and this is my only thread since......so u must have me confused:rolleyes:
then it was another guy, laughing at me when I said I knew 2 guys who blew their motor after the turbo. You're the one laughing when he called me a dumbass. Should I be laughing at you?

I hear all kinds of story about turbo hondas overheating. Tell us exactly how were you driving before the overheat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Re: Re: Re: Finally turbo!!!!!!!

mayhem2 said:
then it was another guy, laughing at me when I said I knew 2 guys who blew their motor after the turbo. You're the one laughing when he called me a dumbass. Should I be laughing at you?

I hear all kinds of story about turbo hondas overheating. Tell us exactly how were you driving before the overheat.
Oh now i remember u from the other thread! U can laugh if u want .......its a free country.
and he called u an idiot not a dumbass...........i just laughed because i thought his comment about the "evil turbo hondas" was pretty funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Look man, if you have your own opinions and you want ot express them, then feel free to. But don't get all butt hurt and start crying when someone expresses their opinion on yours. :lol2:

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.:D

Anyways, as for 95 accordlx, how is everything going man?

Oh, you won't be able to run 10 psi (not for long anyways) without any serious fuel management. Sorry to have to brake it to you. But, you will be able to put down a lot of cars just running 8psi. :D

Try to make any naturally aspirated motor run 8psi and see how long they last.....:lol2:

hondas are nice.

Soon to have True jdm s14 silvia.......:lol2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What if i get dyno tuned? I only want to run 10 when i go to the track and 6.5 daily. Im off today so ill take some pics and post asap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,107 Posts
Why does the temp gauge go down when the heat is on though?
it diverts some of the coolant flow through the heater core which only helps to cool down the engine coolant.

however, if when you turn the heat on, if it is set to defrost (so that the a/c is on too) then the a/c fan will come on and thus...you'll get cooling through the use of the a/c fan.

why don't you pick up a copy of summit racing catalog and look in the cooling section for maybe a low profile radiator fan and use it in place of the stock one you had to remove.

Or, get a small one that you can mount on the FRONT of the radiator....
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top