Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well finally just said screw it and got down with it last night. I was inspecting my paint with the flashlight and noticed a lot of almost grey like streaks/swirls to where they were right on top of each other. So it was like one big uniform swirl, but you couldnt really see it.

I tried #7 by hand, nothing. I then tried S100 Paint Cleanser by hand. Used the flashlight to check it out and really nothing.

So this is when I setup the PC. Got myself the DAS Blue Pad (finest). Took the s100 paint cleanser and started on the fender I was working on.

Within a few minutes of buffing with the pc. I buffed off the polish (which btw was the easiest polish to remove , pc + s100Cleaner combo). Checked my results....and TADA exactly what I was going for. Nice clear and dark.

I then continued on my CF hood which is the oddest thing in the world. It has tons of little pin like holes in the paint as well as other tiny tiny scratches.

Went off on it and bam, just enhanced it nicely. Seemed more flat , uniform and less swirls. Continued on my terrible front bumper. Really brought up the depth, clarity and shine. I was stoked.

Then the side of the front bumper was kinda nasty. Again gave it some rounds and bam, much better.

I cant wait to do the whole car. Definently a great tool, I feel has probably now taken over all my paint needs. I thought by hand was working good, but its nothing compared to this.

As well I was much much much less tired. I did the whole front and was barely even tired. I did it in far less time and the results were much greater. This thing is a major plus in almost everyway.

Ill have photos soon.

·
Registered
403 Posts
fucking internet, i just typed a whole page on shit and lost it, but oh well..
the pc is great, since i got mine for x-mas ive done my car twice, (compund, polish and wax). really works great. i use it everyday now for customers cars. as long as you have the right pads and chemicals you can get the results you want. have u checked out www.detailcity.com yet?

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah with the PC I wouldnt mind starting a little detail biz. It for sure makes it easy and quick. Im just amazed at how little effort it needed to remove the polish.

Heck I would just use the s100 cleaner on every car I would see. It doesnt get rid of big scratches or anything. But it removes a lot of the crappy stuff and fine lines. Its funny cause people on this other website I goto. Talked about how it would fill things in and doesnt remove scratches. On the bottle itself , it says "removes scratches"....and it does. Oh well guess I use products differently than others.

It would seem the website I visit they would like to use DACP or #80 first and go from there.

Also with most big scratches they wont come out anyway. So Im pretty sure I found my combo. Ill probably only be using this on my car from now on. Very little clear is removed and you get amazing results.

·
Registered
403 Posts
s100 is expensive to use on customers cars. ive never used it though. I have DACP but havent tried it yet. i heard its really good though. Level 6 on the cutting scale. Speed glaze is level 4 which if you work it in long enough you can get rid of swirls with a pc. Today i did a blue Nissan Murano. Used megs. #82 with a green edge pad with rotary. then went over it with Prowax's swirl remover with my pc. then topped it with ardex gold wax. came out really nice. There are so many products out there, you just need to find what is right for you and what you like working with. I found that #82 splatters with a rotary and it gets caked in the door jams.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I used what seemed to be a light amount on my car. Im guessing I could do 8 cars with it.

Also for pad cleaning ive been using the detail brush. I also noticed the right and wrong way to do it as I kinda marred up a pad a very tiny tiny bit....but still made me sad....hurting my new pad :cry I guess im anal like that...its almost hard to see. :lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mike I'm glad you "finally" used the PC. Isn't it frickin fantastic at polishing!!!!
As for the pads, cleaning them with a detailing brush is to hard on them.If you find the pads filled with polish or you want to use the same pad and switch to a differant polish, you can just hose it clean to get most of the polish out of it. Squeez as dry as you can then go back to polishing. If you are done polishing for the day clean this way. Put the stopper in the kitchen sink, squirt a little dish washing soap(hand wash type) and fill the sink 1/4 of the way with warm water. let the pads soak for 20 minutes(dirty side down) then work the soap into the pad with your hands by squeezing them. Then rinse, rinse, rinse. Make sure the soap is completely gone from the pads and squeeze dry. Then take a towel and squeeze the pad with the towel around it to remove any remaining water. Then place somewhere to completely air dry. Once completely dry put in a big freezer bag to keep them dust free for the next time.

Hope this helped!!
Jon

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I just went and washed the car. So I could apply some wax.

Seems like a lot of swirls are back....or im thinking my CWB caused this. It seems to go along with the way the blade was wiped. So im going to polish it one more time and then apply the wax right away. Then im going to switch to this aqua dry towel I have. See how things go.

Have any of you experienced this with the CWB. It says something on it about how it scratches less.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also have the CWB(California Water Blade). "Theoretically" it wont scratch. I say theoretically because in theory the blade by it self will not scratch. What will scratch is dirt left on the surface from improper washing, grabbing a bit of dirt from other areas(stuck under trim, dust, etc) if the blade finds these then gets spread around the paint, yes it will scratch the paint.
I only use mine now for drying glass. The paint gets dried by my Sonus Ultimate drying towel.
Another thing is the S100 Paint cleaner is only a "chemical" type of cleaner. it also has oils in it to act as "fillers" Sometimes when you use a "filler" polish the swirls come back once the oils in the cleaner is washed away.
To fully get the swirls gone, you need to polish them(actually remove a mil of clear coat.(Think of flatten the clear so the swirl is now not there).
One way to see if a polish has "fillers" is to use the polish, then once wiped off take some Isopropyl alcohol and wipe the area. The IP will remove the oils and leave the paint naked. If you see the swirls, change polishes. (A lot of used car dealers do this to make the paint look perfect) Until you get the car home and wash it..........

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I think it does have fillers. Also seems to remove scratches some, looks like I will probably go a bit more aggressive.

I heard the SFX polishes dont have fillers. What would you suggest though?

Something that has no fillers and isnt something super aggressive. Basically just a step more aggressive then the cleansing lotion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Sonus SFX polishes are a LOT more aggressive than the cleanser.
You might start with the SFX-2. for swirl mark removal. It indeed has NO fillers. What you see is what you get.
The SFX-1 is great for knocking down orange peel or buffing 1000 wet sanding marks. the SFX-3 is a final polish (also with no fillers) to be used right before waxing.
The paint cleanser would fall in after the SFX-3 in polishing abilities.

·
Registered
403 Posts
ive never used the sfx or the sonus pads. but on my car i got rid of every swirl with poorboys ssr 2.5 and the orange lake country pad. then went over it with megs #9 with the megs polising pad. you have to work it for a while if your using a pc.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Finally went and got my PC tonight. I like how on the Lowes website all they list is the 7336, then when you get to the store they don't have to 7336 but the 7336sp (which is actually the one I needed). Went to see if they even had it, and to my luck they had 1 left :D Now I can't wait to use it. Probably going to order the Sonus pads. Where did you get them Mike, Autotopia? I have vacation next week, so I'm sure I'll go crazy cleaning the car, haha.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
so where would I find all of these products. Mike I hear you talk about the s100 a lot and wonder where ya got it from

·
Registered
864 Posts
Mike, by S100 cleanser, do you mean the S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser, or are you just speaking of the S100 Paste Wax? I ordered my Sonus pads and am going to get a few new products to go along with it. Let me know.

·
Premium Member
13,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
snackpacks said:
Mike, by S100 cleanser, do you mean the S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser, or are you just speaking of the S100 Paste Wax? I ordered my Sonus pads and am going to get a few new products to go along with it. Let me know.
Yes thats it. I have the cleanser and the paste wax. Its a pretty good product and you get them at local harley stores.

The combo is really nice. Ive had these products for awhile and finally got around to trying them.

I just need something to reduce my swirls before using the cleanser. Cause the cleanser doesnt seem to really remove swirls. Just the real real small micromarring?, helps the clarity big time. I can see the flecks in my paint more.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
i saw that stuff they sell in an aerosol can, the cleaner or whatever? does that stuff actually work that well, or is that product just mainly used on harleys and wouldnt be good to use on a car?

·
Registered
403 Posts
yesterday i had 2 jobs on. a f250 Red. and an accord. the f250 was loaded with swirls. Took my pc on speed 5 with LC orange pad and some poorboys ssr 2.5. lightend them some what. then took the pc on speed 6 with megs . polishing pad and #9 and took about 80% of the swirls out. i was happy, so i topped it with some ardex gold wax. just a tip!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Anyone got any nice vids or anything to demonstrate how to get the most out of the buffer? I've done quite a bit of reading, hopin to see some demos or somethin too (would be nice). Figured I could see it before I use it, you know?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts