Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally finished swapping in a B16A2 into my 99 civic ex coupe. Man, it is totally different from my old turbocharged D16Y8. The b16 has no low end, but has good top end. My old turbo was faster though. nothing like a turbocharger. i'm thinking i shoud have gotten a B18C1. oh well, overall i am happy with the new engine, except for the lack of low end. I'm thinking of getting ctr or itr cams with adjustable sprockets, when funds permit. What else do you guys think i should do? i wanna stay n/a, so i dont want nos, turbo, or supercharger. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Wow, I'm glad you posted this! Last week I was all set to do my B16A2 swap, but after driving one in a DX, and driving a stock Si, I'm not convinced that the B series offers a $4,000 difference over the D series. So I have been looking into some other options, like Turboing my D16, or swapping in a B18B and turboing that. Superchargers are also a possibility.
Now that you've been on both sides of the Turbo D-series and N/A B-series fence, what do you think is more worthwhile?
What type of turbo did you have on the D16, how much boost did you run, what fuel and boost management systems did you use?

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
dont swap in an LS into your hatch....the P/W ratio is just not worth it....if you swap....get a GSR or ITR....gsr is good for turbo....ITR is more of an N/A machine

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
the dohc engines have more potential in the long run.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, i had a greddy kit, type 31 intercooler, type s bov, turbo xs mbc, jg throttle body, aem pullies, tanabe racing medallion, exedy clutch, and gsr fuel pump. i ran 8 pounds of boost. it was fun, but i feel it was maxed out in terms of stock rods and pistons. made more power than the b16. however, like someone metioned b-series have more potential than d-series motors. i'm debating on whether or not i should put on the greddy kit again, but am leaning towards, and will probably stay n/a.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
true the b series has a lot more potential then D series....but like i said...dont drop an LS into your hatch....P/W ratio sux ass (that is power to weight if you dont know).........GSR or ITR is better suited for the weight of your hatch.........

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I know the power to weight ratio sucks ass on the b18b1, but it's dirt cheap and it's better than the P/W I have now. I could swap for the LS motor and turbo that for less than an ITR engine and maybe even less than a GSR engine (I'm sticking with USDM). That's my reasoning. I agree that DOHC is better, and I sure am anxious to get back into a vtec (lost my '94 accord EX in a rear ender) but overall cost is just as much a factor as P/W. I have the P/W ratios for a bunch of engines on my CX (b16a2, d16y8, b18b1, b18c1, b18c5) normally asp. and blown at 6 lbs all laid out. I'm going to look at what each option will get me and what each option will cost me before I drop any serious dough.

·
Registered
118 Posts
that's a bunch of crap an LS may not be as good but for the money i'd rather turbo an LS motor. They're not that slow either. My friend put an LS in my old hatch and it run's 15.0's all day long in Tucson, almost 3,000 feet. Faster than most geezers, and walks all over SI's. only intake and exhaust. dead even with or beats all of my friends hatches with b16's. That's garbage, power to weight is horrible, plus you can just slap a VTEC head on it. It's a good platform to build off of it you don't have a buttload of money to spend.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
That's somewhat encouraging. I agree that P/W isn't everything; nothing is everything, but everything matters. Tranny counts for a bunch too - did your friend use the LS tranny?
I wish 'slapping a vtec head on there' was as easy as you made it sound. Unfortunately I think the LS-vtec article on this board has a lot of credibility - b1 pistons and the crank are not designed for the c1 or c5 heads. Reliability goes to shit and you might as well be driving a ford. If I decide I want vtec I'll spring for the GSR motor up front rather than spend the dough later on the head and then pay up the ass when the thing goes pop. Sigh. Decisions, decisions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts