Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was hoping someone could help me find an online guide or book for installing an H22A4 into a '99 Civic coupe. So far the only things I've found seem to only apply to EG Civics including the "Ultimate H22 Swap Guide". Also, while I'm on the subject, if I were to install an H22A7 instead of an A4 would the emissions be the only thing that requires legalizing or are there other things that would prevent it from being 50-state street legal. Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was mainly concerned with what mounts I needed and where they need the be in the engine compartment and I also read that there is an issue with a belt tensioner, something along the lines of "use a manual tensioner or you'll destroy your engine", so I wanted the full scoop on that without buying the online guide from ultimate resource guides. The ultimate H22 swap guide would have been great, but like I said, it only applies to Accords, Integras and EG Civics, not EK Civics. But it doesn't matter now since I'm no longer sure I want to do an H22 swap. But thanks anyway. :)

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
A good mount kit will come with a guide as to where the mounts need to be

Why would you need a different tensioner?

The swap is fairly strait foward, you need the lude shift linkage, shifter, h22/ek mounts, h22/ek axels, and you need your engine harness to be altered.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is an online guide for this swap that is supposed to be really good that you have to buy, but they give you a lot of information about it before you do. One thing they mention that they stress as being very important is something about not using the automatic timing belt tensioner cause apparently it can break the belt for some reason and cause catostrophic engine damage. I've never even heard of an automatic belt tensioner.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hardedge said:
[...] I also read that there is an issue with a belt tensioner, something along the lines of "use a manual tensioner or you'll destroy your engine" [...]
H22's auto tensioner tents to fail after a long time so many ppl swap it for a manual tensioner from the H23 non-vtec motor, nothing to destroy your motor tho...

A manual tensioner is easy to find so its a good thing to change it now with the motor off the car so you will may save yourself of an extra labor/time in the future, but if you can't find it just drop your motor as it is and you can change it later if it needs to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts