Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently has a jdm H22a in my accord now, it's run ok, cuz i did not tune it yet. but the q uestion is since jdm ecu need 100 octane to maintain high performance and it's compression. and now if if rev up or normal drive the car, it seems has some metal touching sound in front of the engine. someone told me it's octane not enough high,bbut i am using 94 octane and still has this problem. how can i solove this problem cuz i don't think it's good and the engine is kind of lack of power when those sound are there. will retard a bit the timing will do this up, but continue retard will lose a lot or power...........pls help me, i am kind of worry about it.....

· Registered
1,052 Posts
First check your ignition timing and make sure you jumper the timing connector when do so. Then check your cam timing and make sure everything is TDC. Peace!

· Registered
1,052 Posts
OK first you need to find the connector so you can jumper it. It will either be near the ECU or behind the center console somewhere sorry I know that's not a good discription but it varies on different years. There may be 2 or three of them together. If they haven't been touched they will be in a rubber cover plugged into nothing basically. Just find that and then one will be a 2 pin connector. There may be two 2 pin connectors though in which case try both cause I don't have the wiring diagram for your car. Next step is too take a peice of wire or paperclip and jumper the connector or stick one end of the clip in one hole and one in the other so as to short the connector. Next turn your car on to the run position not start! and see if the check engine light is on. If it is then see if it is blinking. It shouldn't be if your ECU has no faults on it. Next start the car with the connector still jumpered then allow it to warm up all the way the fan should come on and go off twice to be fully warmed up. Next hook up your timing gun and then proceed to time it normally. While doing this don't rev the engine at all just let it idle adjust it then turn it of. Next take out the jumper. Your done and the ECU will now be told basically that's where you want the baseline timing to be set at. A real quick way to check the cam timing is to take off the upper timing cover and start the engine. Still have that timing gun handy? turn it on and shine it on the cam gears as they are spinning do the timing marks line up? The cam gears will appear to be staying still due to the strobe effect. If they do then your good if they don't you will need to adjust them by loosening the tensioner and setting everything to TDC (Top Dead Center) For this the crank shaft pulley has a white mark by itself away from the ignition timing marks (The 3 together) This single mark must be at the pointer on the timing cover and the cam gear timing marks have to be aligned with the head and each other. You can look in a repair manual to get a visual. If you have no idea what I'm talking bout don't do anything and find someone that does. Hope this helps not hurts.

· Registered
9,948 Posts
You are suffering from the dreaded detonation problem. Add in some octane booster to a tank of fuel. Just remember, the more octane the fuel has, the less of an effect the octane booster has.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Tokyo said:
you cannot adjust timing on preludes................................
You are stupid of course you can adjust the timing I have done it many times on my own Prelude as well as freinds. Does it not have a distributor? Of course it does. Does the dist. turn? Of course it does hence you can change the timing.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Civicgotballz said:
is he correct when he says that his car needs 100 octane rated gas? is this true will all jdm motors or what? or just the h22a? man i kinda was planning on putting an h22a inot a civic...but might not now if it is going to ping!!!
No you don't need 100 octane but that is what is available in Japaan at the pump and what they run to extract full potential of the engine.

· Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
heard that retard timing will lose performance. my car is run like crap now, so if i retard the timing, will it be worst??

and one more question, from the driver side, (those pullies) make a high "vvvvvvvv" sound when the car is turn on or driving, it just happen few days ago, i can hear in the car although i close all window. i am almost 100% sure those sound from pullies. u guys know what the hell going on?????

:confused: :confused:

· Registered
1,052 Posts
Tokyo said:
ok, so why does my Helm's shop manual for the 97 prelude says that you cant adjust timing? and the first step in it says to swap out ECU with a known good ECU?
I don't know but it's adjustable. Sorry for calling you stupid but if it has a dist. and it turns it is most definetely adjustable. Trust me I work on Hondas way too much to not know how to adjust the timing on them. They probably don't want anyone messing the car up do to changing the timing. I really don't know why they would print that to tell you the truth.

· Registered
1,052 Posts
97accordsir said:
heard that retard timing will lose performance. my car is run like crap now, so if i retard the timing, will it be worst??

and one more question, from the driver side, (those pullies) make a high "vvvvvvvv" sound when the car is turn on or driving, it just happen few days ago, i can hear in the car although i close all window. i am almost 100% sure those sound from pullies. u guys know what the hell going on?????

:confused: :confused:
That is true about retarding the timing but only if the timing was at stock and then retarded more other than that you don't even know where your baseline timing is set to right now. How do you know where you are starting at if you don't set it the first time.

Just more speculation: but say you got the engine from Japan and the guy that was last running was racing it and had a fair amount of bolt ons and some shit done to it he might be running a pretty high octane and have advanced the timing a bit or maybe even a lot. You don't have any idea do you? So if you do not set it initially then you don't have a baseline to go from. Maybe you engine has too much timing in it already or maybe it was set wrong in the first place. Maybe you have a different problem all together I don't know just giving you helpful hint. But I can tell you right now if you brought the car to my house I would check the cam and ignition timing first and go from there. Maybe your just not getting enough fuel because you have the wrong regulator or injectors or a old fuel filter. There are a lot of problem that could lead to this but more tahn likely you have 87 octane in the tank and too much advance or something silly like that.

· Registered
262 Posts
Hey skid you owned a 94? He owned(owns) a 97. Could there be a difference?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.