Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Are you using the windows firewall or some other type, like zonealarm?

· Registered
11,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have zone alarm, and I have that firewall on, but I'm trying for windows firewall. I guess they both can't run at the same time? Is it safer to run one or the other? Do I need to worry when the windows one is off?

· Registered
10,346 Posts
I dont have much experience behind firewalls, but my idea is that teh zonealarm replaces the use of the windows firewall.

either way if your changing settings every reboot, something is not allowing that registry change to stay changed. Do you have any programs that regulate things like that? Spybots S&D's tea timer plugin does that, but it asks you to verify and/or disregard changes, not switch em at reboot.

· Premium Member
6,822 Posts
download hijackthis and copy/paste to hijackthis.de so you can see what is going on it sounds like something ive run into a few times, a trojan will shut shit off, spybot is a POS especially when you get hit hard, you will end up with a ton of allow or dissalow popups from spybot.....id say run hijack this, then run a GOOD antivirus app, once you get it clean keep the AV on all the time, and as negrodamus recommended to me run comodo firewall its free, and it wont let shit through unless you allow it

· Registered
10,346 Posts
With proper configuration, spybot is very powerful and wont just throw up a large number of pop ups. You can set certain variables and block certain pieces of the registry from even being edited in any fashion, such as preventing program installs and such.

I run spybot S&D, AVG antivirus/spyware, lava ad aware, and malwarebyte's anti malware. no problems hardly, though the few times I had a problems was when trying to run spyware and ad aware at the same time, they conflict with each other if both are performing a scan at the same time. Other than that, It kills most viruses before they run, and the few that do run, they are blocked from doing any damage and are automatically deleted upon reboot.

EDIT also, if you just run spybot to update it for example, and it throws up a bunch of stuff, thats because the user isnt commiting an effort well enough. I scan weekly and if Im downloading a bunch of shit in a day, I defrag and clean my files up, scan, then download a few things, scan again, then reboot, and scan again. YOu gotta be hardcore on that shit to keep your computer safe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.