Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello to all sho riders i just purchased my first bike ever last saturday july1st its a 06r6 felt very uncomfortable on it being my first bike, but i am learning fast and taking it slow, will post pictures up soon or maybe send pictures to someone so they can post, just wanted to share that im a new rider and i love it. :number1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the only other bike ive ridden was a dirt bike and that was one time but i didnt like because it was a 2 stroke it felt jumpy and twitchy, the bike is fast but it not like you think it would be, its very docile if you keep it under 8grand and the power band is smooth its not like it reaches power all at once, its very smooth ive still got some chiken strips on my tires but im slowly getting more confident, i know everyone says its alot of bike, but i think the bike doesnt matter its the attitude of the rider and im not going to do anything to hurt the bike or me not intentionaly anyway, but anyways ive almost got 500 miles on her, will talk to later byebye
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,017 Posts
I would have recommend you on buying a used bike first for a starter bike to learn on, because if you drop it you wont feel as bad as dropping a brand new bike.

the plastic aren't cheap, i see alot of people go out and buy a brand spanking new bike when they have no kind of experince at all, then a week or 2 later they wreck it. that just my opinion im not trying to flame you or anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
blueSI said:
i know everyone says its alot of bike, but i think the bike doesnt matter its the attitude of the rider and im not going to do anything to hurt the bike or me not intentionaly anyway, but anyways ive almost got 500 miles on her, will talk to later byebye
Absolutely right. As long as you are a responsible rider you will be fine. However its easy to develop bad habits that will eventually limit your abilities on a sport bike. I'm speaking from experience here. I started out on an f4i, never wrecked, never even dropped my bike. Went to several track days and felt i was pushing my bike as hard as i could, eventually knocking out all my chicken strips. But then i took a performance riding class that involved class time and ride time on small 250 Ninjas on a track. You wont believe how much better you will be able to ride once you master the basics on a less powerful bike, then apply what you learned to a larger bike. Good luck, be safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41,903 Posts
post up some pics man, im in the same boat as you. I have dirt bike riding experience, but im lookin for a used r6 or a gsxr 600. Let us know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
2KLuder said:
Absolutely right. As long as you are a responsible rider you will be fine. However its easy to develop bad habits that will eventually limit your abilities on a sport bike. I'm speaking from experience here. I started out on an f4i, never wrecked, never even dropped my bike. Went to several track days and felt i was pushing my bike as hard as i could, eventually knocking out all my chicken strips. But then i took a performance riding class that involved class time and ride time on small 250 Ninjas on a track. You wont believe how much better you will be able to ride once you master the basics on a less powerful bike, then apply what you learned to a larger bike. Good luck, be safe.
And I've been whining :cry about the low end of inline 4 liter bikes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im going to a track day in september for beginners, where they have an instructer follow me and then i get to follow them and they tell me how to improve, im looking forward to that alot but as far as dirt bike experience i only rode one for like 5 minutes and i didnt like it cause it was jumpy, ill snap some pics tonight and try to get them up asap
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
blueSI said:
im going to a track day in september for beginners, where they have an instructer follow me and then i get to follow them and they tell me how to improve, im looking forward to that alot but as far as dirt bike experience i only rode one for like 5 minutes and i didnt like it cause it was jumpy, ill snap some pics tonight and try to get them up asap
Good for you, wish i'd done the same. By the way, with years and years of street riding experience, i'm still totally uncomfortable on dirt bikes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
2KLuder said:
Good for you, wish i'd done the same. By the way, with years and years of street riding experience, i'm still totally uncomfortable on dirt bikes!
I learned to ride dirtbikes in the desert of California when I wasn't even old enough to drive yet. Dirtbikes and 4-wheeler/quads are by far more fun than any streetbikes. You can only safely experience the potential of a supersport on a closed track, not the street. I've told people since I can remember that the best place to learn control of a motorcycle is in the dirt. No cars, trucks, buses, and people talking on cell phones in the dirt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
I learned how to ride on a dirtbike, even did some motocross action at local tracks. But that doesnt mean i'm comfortable on them. Especially since i've spent the last 6 years devoted to track days on street bikes, where wheels leaving the ground is a bad thing. But i do agree, dirt riding is helpful, especially when getting used to sliding and the backend squirming around. I just dont enjoy it. But i'm sure that comes from the fact that my crashes on dirt (fractured skull, broken elbow, broken foot) have hurt way more than the ones i've had at street tracks (bruises).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
Sirfallsalot243 said:
hondacura, youre exactly right. Did you know a person who learns to ride on dirt is 70% less likely to wreck on the street?
That might be right because I started on dirtbikes when I was a little kid and knock on wood....I have never dropped any of the half a dozen streetbikes that I have owned because it was my fault. It took almost 18 years before a guy running a red light made me finally drop a streetbike. I walked away from that one!

2KLuder said:
I learned how to ride on a dirtbike, even did some motocross action at local tracks. But that doesnt mean i'm comfortable on them. Especially since i've spent the last 6 years devoted to track days on street bikes, where wheels leaving the ground is a bad thing. But i do agree, dirt riding is helpful, especially when getting used to sliding and the backend squirming around. I just dont enjoy it. But i'm sure that comes from the fact that my crashes on dirt (fractured skull, broken elbow, broken foot) have hurt way more than the ones i've had at street tracks (bruises).
True True everyone definitely doesn't learn the same way, but getting some good experience and control of a motorcycle first far away from traffic helps. It doesn't matter if it's a dirtbike or streetbike but usually off-road you don't have to worry about traffic. You can later get the motorcycle that fits you best no matter what cc size. BTW, the MSF beginner class is just mostly only another way to get your motocycle endorsement and doesn't get you much experience. Most newbies can't get lots of experience at a track on a supersport unless they're an up and coming pro racer. It scares me :eek when an amateur first learns control of a motorcycle on the street in traffic. I don't even want to think about having to dump your bike on the ground and then getting hit by a car coming up on you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,822 Posts
umm i ride and race dirt and i HAD a 600 RR and i can tell anyone it is NOTHING similar, the only thing in commmon is the controls, i grew up on dirtbikes, i love dirtbikes, and i couldnt make myself learn street, they are totally DIFFRENT, anyone wanna argue that point AIM me i totally respect street riders , but learning to ride a dirt bike does not prepare you for a sport bike at all, if anything it will confuse you, the riding postures are just to difffrent and the philosiphy is diffrent EX on dirt the front end contact in optimal race condition should be only in corners otherwise all the weight is in the rear the front wanders freely beacause you want the most power delivery, so "headshake" is not an issue because it does happen, and you are able to adjust your weight quickly to compensate where streetbikes in my experience all your weight is foreward.(bad bad bad in my MX upbringing) and no matter how far you try to transfer weight back you just cant the seat just wont allow it..........anyways the only point im getting at is that learning to ride a dirtbike in hopes of learning to be a better street rider, all youre gonna learn on dirt that might apply to street is clutch control, otherwise its a totally diffrrent animal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
AEgeus said:
While I don't doubt that dirt experience counts for something riding on the street, I'd like to know where you got this figure?
Did you know that according to a scientific study by Purdue, 78% of the time if you come up with a random number and quote it as a statistice people will believe you.






:bash
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top