Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best Bolt-on Mods!!!

I've been thinking about doing a few mods on my 97' Integra GS (non-VTEC). I was reading some import magazines and I was wondering if I could get your opinion on some of the products if you have used it in the past. I'd like to keep the car N/A.

Injen intake
HP header
5-Zigen Fireball catback

How do these measure up to the popular bolt-ons like AEM CAI, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, Greddy, Apex'i, or other cat-backs? If you believe that other products are better than others, i/h/e, please let me know which ones they are and why.
Also, after the basic three bolt-on's that everyone does, what would be a good next step? A cat? An intake manifold? A throttle body? Cams? New electronics?

Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
3,213 Posts
dragontegz said:
I've been thinking about doing a few mods on my 97' Integra GS (non-VTEC). I was reading some import magazines and I was wondering if I could get your opinion on some of the products if you have used it in the past.

Injen intake

HP header

5-Zigen Fireball catback

If you prefer another product that's comparable but you think is better, let me know.

Also, after the basic three bolt-on's that everyone does, what would be a good next step? A better flowing cat? An intake manifold? New ignition? A new chip?

Thanks in advance.
Injen intake- There cold air is one of the best right along with Comptech Ice box.

HP Header- LS??? For a civic in Import Tuner Magazine it made 13hp Peak. (that's very uncommon)

5Zigen- Haven't heard anything good about them or bad , IMO they look Sweet as Shit.

After your basic 3 go for a suspension upgrade, i.e. Adj. Coilovers and then if you still need some go, get some Crower 403's I hear they're da shit too and try out a LAndspeed Cat. It made 4 hp on Project B16 in Sport Compact car but that was a VTEC Motor.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!;)

· Registered
44 Posts
Well if you do decide to go turbo, theres no need to get the headers. The Injen Intake sounds pretty nice and loud on my friends 97 Integra LS. He just recently got a 5Zigen Fireball exhaust on it. Sounds a little high, not the deep sound, but its nice. Performance wise, the intake and exhausts didnt do much but it'll do for now.

· Premium Member
3,213 Posts
95gsr said:
Why AEM? they are #3 in the Cold Air Market Now. Injen and Comptech have surpassed AEM. Really they have.:eek:

· Premium Member
3,213 Posts
dragontegz said:
AEM CAI, Injen, and Comptech. What's the difference among these? Price, performance, build quality, sound...
Injen and Comptech will give same performance gains.
Comptech louder under WOT
All good Quality
I believe Comptech is the cheapest, i really don't know though.
Hope this helps

· Premium Member
3,213 Posts
Hybrid Fever said:
Since when did Injen and Comptech surpass AEM?
uuuuuummmmmm, way back when the old sho was up, they even had a Dyno chart of all 3 tested at the same time on same car in the TECH Articles. READ and RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

· Registered
13,201 Posts
Hybrid Fever said:
Since when did Injen and Comptech surpass AEM?
They're all good, but for a little while now some dynos and test were bought up showing that these were in fact doing a little better then AEM. Tuan, in the version 3 of SHO, in the Tech Archives posted some information about Intakes....too bad the archives are gone now, it would clear so much up, so many of the questions here were answered in there, like header, turbo and such.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When they tested the Injen intake, was it just the intake unit or was it with the cold air kit with the intake? I believe the Injen unit is just a RAM, right? Also, what's the difference between ceramic and stainless steel headers? People seem to prefer ceramic but why?

· Registered
13,201 Posts
dragontegz said:
When they tested the Injen intake, was it just the intake unit or was it with the cold air kit with the intake? I believe the Injen unit is just a RAM, right? Also, what's the difference between ceramic and stainless steel headers? People seem to prefer ceramic but why?
I think some people liked the steel because it looked nice, but it would start to change as the engine got hot, and the stainless steal would turn different colors and start to look nasty. Also I can't remember if it was the ceramic or steel that generally lasted longer then the other.
~Jason

· Premium Member
3,213 Posts
dragontegz said:
Injen Makes a short ram and CAI. the test was CAI vs CAI.
Ceramic headers hold up better agianst rust from my experience(5 years in the scene) and hold less heat in the engineand light weight. SS look good for a while and they really do rust!!! Stainless my ass and they make your engine Hot as shit and are much heavier. SS is really for SHOW CARS IMO.

· Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SohcVtecTurboHB said:

SS look good for a while and they really do rust!!! Stainless my ass and they make your engine Hot as shit and are much heavier. SS is really for SHOW CARS IMO.
First of all, are DC Sports headers that good? It seems like you don't hear a lot about other headers at all. Which headers might be good for a 97 Integra LS besides DC Sports? Landspeed Racing has a header for Civic EX and it tested really good. Does anyone know if they make one for 94-97 Integra non-VTEC? Does anyone have one on their car and if so, do you like it?

· Registered
1,017 Posts
GSR-T said:
buy a turbo.
All I have to say is:

The very first post on this thread posted by dragontegz says:

I've been thinking about doing a few mods on my 97' Integra GS (non-VTEC). I was reading some import magazines and I was wondering if I could get your opinion on some of the products if you have used it in the past. I'd like to keep the car N/A.

Injen intake
HP header
5-Zigen Fireball catback

How do these measure up to the popular bolt-ons like AEM CAI, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, Greddy, Apex'i, or other cat-backs? If you believe that other products are better than others, i/h/e, please let me know which ones they are and why.
Also, after the basic three bolt-on's that everyone does, what would be a good next step? A cat? An intake manifold? A throttle body? Cams? New electronics?

Thanks in advance.
The key words are underlined. I know the way to make serious power in an LS is to boost, but I don't think that is what he is looking for.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
I mean he is right. Putting turbo on your engine will give you some serious power, but when you don't want that and say that you don't want that people shouldn't suggest it.

I had a post a while back about which pistons I should put in my LS engine and I got a bunch of replies saying I should put a VTEC head on there. That wasn't what I was looking for in an answer, you know what I mean.

I like the AEM CAI because it comes with a K&N filter. I don't know if the other ones do or not. I picked mine up for 180 shipped. I picked up my GReddy EVO for about 450 shipped I think. Both are very nice pieces.

Good Luck.

· Premium Member
3,213 Posts
dragontegz said:

First of all, are DC Sports headers that good? It seems like you don't hear a lot about other headers at all. Which headers might be good for a 97 Integra LS besides DC Sports? Landspeed Racing has a header for Civic EX and it tested really good. Does anyone know if they make one for 94-97 Integra non-VTEC? Does anyone have one on their car and if so, do you like it?
As far as DC Sport goes, yes they are good headers and i had a ceramic 4-1 on my 94 gs-r for a year and it never discolored! It provided great topend rush too. Greddy,Airmass, and Comptech also make headers that are 1 or 2 peak hp off DC, as far as the great header test in Sport Compact Car went.

· Registered
39 Posts
I have a '96 LS w/ AEM CAI, as far as catbacks I had GReddy SP, now have 5Zigen Fireball. I like the 5Zigen better, it sounds just as deep and looks different so that makes the difference for me. Besides, the resonator on my GReddy went bad after 7 months. Another good investment would be to upgrade your ignition: spark plug wires, distributor, coil, etc. I noticed a difference there too. I have headers, but I dont remember the brand :( , but I saw a dyno on a sohc civic where it got 12hp and it was a new product and cheap, so I got it. Tires are a great upgrade too for acceleration, breaking, cornering - just dont get 17" rims if you want speed!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.