Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

First Rebuild Ever Y7/Z6

11K views 43 replies 3 participants last post by  Zen Chameleon 
#1 ·
Sup Guys and Gals,
I'm pretty pumped up about this build and wanted to document it to the best of my abilities. If it wasn't for the net and all the info left behind by others I wouldn't have been able to do anything like this. So Thankz !

When I got this car (1995 VX) 3 years ago the only toolz I owned were made up of the bare home basics; a Hammer, couple screw drivers, vice grips, pliers, and 4 of those $5-$10 socket sets that everyone gets you for Christmas. I'm not a complete stranger to having to work on a car (poor folk do what that gotta do) but I never thought I'd attempt to rebuild an engine.

The reason for the build is mostly to get the engine(D15Z1) thats in my car now out. I want to rebuild the Z1 later. So why didn't I just do a quick swap with a used motor do ya ask, cause I can't stand the idea of putting someone else's POS motor in my car and just cross my fingers. Another thing is I was fed up and got sick of mechanics saying "Naw, I don't know nuttin bout dem dere Jap motors". So fine, SCREW THAT I say, I'll learn to do it myself!

The Goal is simple:
Build a reliable All Motor D-series with a lil bump in hp. This engine will be for a fun DD only and if it ever sees auto-x then cool. I just want to know I built it and it worked.
I started buying parts for this rebuild July 2010

EDIT 7/26/2011: ^^^It's a nice story so I'll leave it unchanged (but things do change). A week ago today I bought a 1997 Del Sol S, D16Y7 w/ 138k miles, everything stock with A/C. Needing the extra cash I decided to sell the hatch, it was almost a hard decision. But the engine build goes on and will become apart of the new DD. The build continues.....

:::WARNING!!!::: User name Zen Chameleon is building his first ever engine, this said engine is not running yet. Asking user name Zen Chameleon for help could cause any or all, but not limited to:
headaches, frustration, blurred vision, dizziness, confusion, loss of sleep, constipation, diarrhea, projectile vomiting, bloody knuckels, unnecessary work and research, catastrophic engine failure, crying in front of your girlfriend, cronic masterbation, spontaneous combustion, suicidal thoughts, in some but rare cases could even lead you to achieving your goal or solving your issue.
If you have asked Zen Chameleon for technical advice and experienced any or all of these symptoms please seek professional help from somebody that has real world engine building knowledge and wisdom :::WARNING!!!:::

The "Accomplishment" List:

Head D16Z6:

Work done from Performance Porting:
Mild Port and Polish
3 angle valve job
SuperTech springs, new oem retainers
New oem cam and valve seals
Milled .003 for flatness
Hondata intake gasket
New extended intake studs
Freshly cleaned Z6 injectors

AEM cam gear
NGK plug wires

D16Z6 intake mani
AEM fuel rail
B&M fuel pressure regulator
Marshal fuel pressure gauge
AEM CAI

D16Y7 block:

Vat, Bored (0.020), Prepped, Milled, R&R pistons, Resized rods...
D16Z6 Crankshaft: machined, mains .020/ rods .030
ARP rod bolts
PG6 Pistons, 75.5mm

Y7/Z6, ARP head studs

P28 ECU socketed w/ Neptune RTP

98' EX Tranny

What's left:

Cam
Bearings
Gaskets&Seals
Oil pump
Water pump
Timing Belt
Wideband O2
Header

and most important Tuning

I think that's everything....if I missed something let me know please.

Thankz for all the support

Performance Porting
Zealautowerks

A sneak peek of the '97 Del Sol, New DD/Project:

See less See more
#34 ·
Lol, I know you read the first post...the one that said "give me an hour to post the build up"? Anyway I didn't like the ghost letter idea at all.

Oh and the Z6 and Y7 cranks arn't exactly the same, the Z6 has extra oiling holes. I should have taken pictures to show but the Y7 had 1 hole hole per journal as where the Z6 has 2.

But this is the build in all it's glory for now. Thankz for taking the time to check it out. I'll keep the first post updated and complete :D

#29 ·
I got this crazy looking monster in the mail. It's made by Brownline (I never heard of them) and I only payed $99 shipped w/ the cool "blown plastic" case and all. This 1/2" drive torque wrench is fricken huge at about 22-1/2inch and ranges from 15-150 ft/lbs. I havn't got to really play with it yet but despite the fact it prolly won't do alot of good inside the engine bay I think I can make good use out of it.

Brown Line Metalworks, LLC | Professional Grade Digital Torque Wrench

I'll do a product review on it one day :cool

#36 ·
Being "finished" is so over rated wouldn't you agree? The important thing is that I actually started project and don't plan on quitting any time soon.
Lol, sorry man I just got off midnights, you'll have to excuse me.

Really though, new tires and a tune-up is a must on the Sol before winter and I'm already having a tough time figuring that out right now. No worries though I've accepted the fact that I need to just take my time in order to do it right. I've already been working on this over a year now so it is what it is. Updates will be posted as they happen from this post foward :D

#41 ·
Thankz alot man! I feel like I've missed details but I've been working on getting better at it as I go. Hmmm I stopped keeping up with cost but the only things I put real money in was the machine shop work (and even those I got good deals on), everything else I shopped around till I got it at the lowest price possible. I don't know, I could have done your average Bswap by now maybe.

they help soo much, got some at home and also have free run of my brothers shop on weekends, i like lifts :p dont like the ground.
Yeah I hear ya. I've pulled motors from under the car, I hated it.
^^^he's talking about cheating with a "shop lift", your talking about a "cherry picker". I just felt the need to clear that up ;)

#43 ·
well i was talking about both, have a cerry picker at home, but can use a shop lift when needed, like this weekend, to put the new head on my sol :eek: excited! haha your like me when it comes to a build, loose track of money, dosnt matter, as long as you stay devoted and get it done :p did the same building a 350 for my chevy. if you get a chance and remeber what sites you got your parts from i think that would be a good addition to this thread so others looking to do a simmular build can see some places to get parts. up to you, just an idea. ^^ keep at the good work man i wana see a video of that thing running.

#44 ·
Just to have closure to this thread....

Do to finances and other needs in life....

This engine build is dead and has been sold off piece by piece.

I still have the Del Sol but don't have any plans for it other than to drive and enjoy it right now.

Thankz for all the support, I've learned a lot :w00tz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.