Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boosted Lude update

I'm writing this as sort of a documentary of my prelude and what im doing to it. I hope to update this thread occasionally with updates of my progress.

Current plan for the prelude is a built sleeveless bottom end using mahle's unique pistons, eagle rods, etc. (have not decided on many brandnames). I plan on finishing this build withing the next 2-4 months.

I started off with a very basic and cheap XS Power turbo kit. This is a good starting point imo since allows me to boost without doing anything crazy. Ill be using this kit until my engine is fully built and tuned. After completion i will be replacing turbo parts for better ones. BOV, wastegate, turbo and manifold. Doing it this way allows for alot of customization and eventually a more powerful and reliable turbo setup.

Anyways heres a pic of the turbo kit. Ill have pics up this weekend of it installed.

(I dont expect much out this kit, cant wait to get rid of some of the components)

Wish me luck on this!

Thanks, Johnny.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You know, I've thought of doing something similar. Just buying a kit, only boosting 6 or 7psi until I can get a build. But then the motor has to come out anyway, but I've still thought about it, just because it gives you everything you need, then upgrading the parts later. Good luck, can't wait to see how it all turns out. I'm thinking about the Mahle pistons down the road too, so you've got my interest :number1

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nslude said:
is that the xs power kit from ebay and is made in china?????? turbo will fail for sure....
Agreed. Turbo will be the first thing upgraded once the engine is built. Pushing 7psi it shouldnt have problems holding up for the time being.

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
ragethemachine8 said:
I'm writing this as sort of a documentary of my prelude and what im doing to it. I hope to update this thread occasionally with updates of my progress.

Current plan for the prelude is a built sleeveless bottom end using mahle's unique pistons, eagle rods, etc. (have not decided on many brandnames). I plan on finishing this build withing the next 2-4 months.

I started off with a very basic and cheap XS Power turbo kit. This is a good starting point imo since allows me to boost without doing anything crazy. Ill be using this kit until my engine is fully built and tuned. After completion i will be replacing turbo parts for better ones. BOV, wastegate, turbo and manifold. Doing it this way allows for alot of customization and eventually a more powerful and reliable turbo setup.

Anyways heres a pic of the turbo kit. Ill have pics up this weekend of it installed.

(I dont expect much out this kit, cant wait to get rid of some of the components)

Wish me luck on this!

Thanks, Johnny.
:eek

oh man. I would have done your research before purchasing. good luck. I dont see why you would go threw the trouble an build the bottom end then slap that shit to you motor. to risky for me. better hope every thing works first try..if not..its :byye motor :eek:

·
Registered
99 Posts
ok as long as you know....a guy here had ssautochrome shit last year i think.....and his turbo lasted a couple rips b4 the housings came apart...they were glued together....good luck with yours, maybe you were lucky and got a good one!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nslude said:
ok as long as you know....a guy here had ssautochrome shit last year i think.....and his turbo lasted a couple rips b4 the housings came apart...they were glued together....good luck with yours, maybe you were lucky and got a good one!
lol yeah i heard about that. however i know a couple folks in my area that are running this kit and have been for several months now. I just need it to last me 2 months max. The turbo breaking is a possibility, but i dont see how that would result in a broken motor (correct me if i'm wrong). To be safe i might actually wait until i at least replace the turbo, maybe also the wastegate, before i install anything. I'm not in a hurry to put this thing in even though im tempted to :D

As of now i plan on buying a garrett turbo(not 100% sure which one), tial wastegate, and a hks bov. With these major components replaced this kit is as good as any other. Later on i will have a custom manifold fabricated, but that will be one of the last additions to my kit.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I don't know why you would throw away your money on buying a cheap turbo setup and then having in mind to replace it once you have the motor built completely. I hope that you didn't spend much. :eek:

I do envy you though... I want to turbo my car so bad but I don't have the time nor the spare money to waste on 2nd priorities. Once I finish one of my goals I will save up at least $6000 to do a great setup.

GOOD LUCK!!!! :number1

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
what motor do you have? H23 or 22?

if its a 23, a T3/TO4 or a T3 super 60 should suite your tastes for boost :number1

cuz those are some that i'm lookin @

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Freakin'H22A said:
I don't know why you would throw away your money on buying a cheap turbo setup and then having in mind to replace it once you have the motor built completely. I hope that you didn't spend much. :eek:

I do envy you though... I want to turbo my car so bad but I don't have the time nor the spare money to waste on 2nd priorities. Once I finish one of my goals I will save up at least $6000 to do a great setup.

GOOD LUCK!!!! :number1
For the complete h22 turbo kit plus intercooler and piping i paid 900$. Very low quality parts i assure you (even though they look alright out of the box).

Let me run you guys through what the setup will look like when done:
-Garrett Turbo (like i said still deciding one turbo)
-Tial wastegate
-hks bov
-custom manifold (last)

While yes the tubro kit is weak, with 4 of the major components replaced it will be as good as any other 2500$ turbo kit out there. Turbo 600$, wg200$, bov200$. Ill spend around 1900$ on the turbo part of my build, and i will be selling things that i replace as well so theres more money back in my pocket.
Even if i dont make any money by selling parts it will come out to be fairly inexpensive (dont wanna use the word cheap lol). And the less money i spend on my turbo setup, the more money i can spend on building the engine.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
the manifold will be your problem. i've seen several crack within 2 months of use. they just won't last. i would atleast find a new manifold; even most log styles are better than the one you've got now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nslude said:
i heard the manni cracks and has to be rewelded....bov is fine and so is the waste gate....
if that is the case i guess ill keep em and replace the manifold right away i guess. regardless, at some point ill replace the wg and bov anyway. we'll see how things work out.

Here's one question i got though. Right now im saving up for ecu+hondata+tuning. I know its not a good idea to run boost without a proper tune, and ill probably wait until i have my ecu and hondata set up. What ive been curious about is how obd2 ecus handle boost. Since they are self learning computers they adjust themselves (to a certain extend of course) when u disconnect the battery, correct? Does it make any adjustments at all that would make it safer to run than lets say a stock obd1 ecu? I by no means am relying on my stock ecu to self-tune my car but just wondering if running the stock obd2 ecu is better than obd1 in the event that i chose to have the kit installed a couple weeks before i get it tuned.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nslude said:
what are you using for injectors? you need a obd1 ecu and get some fuel management!!!! crome , uberdata....
yup yup. as i mentioned ill be using hondata, not sure though exactly which version it will be. hoping for s300 if i can get a good price on it. ecu and harness i should have next week.

as of now im using jdm h22 injectors, 350cc. Got em really cheap, they'll hold me over for a while. Once everything is built and running right ill be upgrading the injectors to 550cc.

·
Registered
457 Posts
how big of exhaust piping are you using. and if you are running only 7 psi or so couldnt you use your stock exhaust?
im a noob on turbos

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
kevin13 said:
how big of exhaust piping are you using. and if you are running only 7 psi or so couldnt you use your stock exhaust?
im a noob on turbos
Of course i could use the stock exhaust. I will be for a short time actually, before i get my piping done. You can use the stock exhaust on any psi it shouldnt really matter i just wont get all the power out of it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nslude said:
350cc will limit you to less then 200whp
You know i am not really sure why i bought these injectors. I thought they would hold me over for a bit. Since my goal was to get my car on boost and get it tuned asap i thought i could upgrade to 550cc later on. I might just sell the jdm injectors i have and go with 550cc right away.

Honestly though theres no way 350cc wont let me get past 200whp. I've seen cars boosted on stock lower cc injectors that have gotten way more 200whp.

Regardless, i should just get the 550cc injectors now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.