Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im almost seventeen and ive been into imports scince i was about 13,

would it be worth it to tune a 98 civic ex that is auto. i have about 5k to buy a car and my dad being the complete a** and won't let me get a standard. my plans are to put a cai and a header back exhaust for starters any more advice aobut what i should do ? or if it is even worth it to tune an auto would be great thanks.

·
Registered
240 Posts
well you can tune a auto but you won't have the same feeling as you get through a manual, the whole manual transmission gives you and the car a kind of connection :hug and it makes you a better driver imo i would try and get manual its better to learn younger than older after spending all that money on an automatic car. and if you really want to race then manual is the only way to go.

convince the father figure or at least try your hardest

but if you do have to get automatic then yea just do a:

Cold air intake

Full catback exhaust

and some decent rims

that should keep you happy and give the car the style and the noise without spending over much

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
dont buy a cai,header or anything else like that, work on the suspension and tires first and for most. Trust me man these cars arent fast with I/H/E at all. Invest your cash in the suspension when you crave more power boost that bitch.

I went the i/h/e route and I give it a thumbs down it made the car a nice sound and mabby 10whp in all after around 700bucks.

I re-did the suspension and the car is a dream, it is very light and so easy to drive.(it loves the twisties now)

now im in the turbo buildup stage, Idid about 3 moths work on the reasers and now its the parts colection time.

so far I have just the ECU taken car of a chipped p06(converted to a p28) and setup for dataloging through it and a conversion harnes.

Ill prorbalby go through ebay for the IC,bov,and the turbo, the pipe BOV and WG and manifold will be all high quality stuff.

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
sell it and buy a manual.. autos just dont respond to upgrades well. like speedjunky said, work on the suspension first. it makes the biggest difference.

·
Registered
518 Posts
ide just use the momey to get a 5th gen civic auto, because that will be around 3gs, then after a few month, if you prove to your dad you are a good driver then get it switched to a standard

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
why not get a 5th gen manual, prove youre a good driver, and save a couple grand in the long run?

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
driving a stick isnt very hard. I had learned how to drive on an automatic buick. Then went and bought my manual civic, drove it home with no manual driving experience at all. Stalled it alot on the way home, but i dont regret the decision.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
if you spend less than $1800-$2000 on a auto-to-manual switch, i'd be very surprised. that price includes all parts and labor for install btw, if you install it all yourself, it'll obviously be a lot cheaper.

parts you'll need:

ECU from manual car
Transmission
Shift Linkage
Pedal set from manual car
Flywheel
Clutch
Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch Slave Cylinder

...and maybe a few other things, i have this feeling that i'm forgetting something. i looked into doing that swap when i had teh D15B VTEC put into my EG8, but it was just too much money at the time. i think that if i'd been able to keep that car, i might have eventually done the swap though, there really is no comparison between and auto and a manual.

·
Registered
518 Posts
tranny fluid lines
resovior

im in the process of doing this but lack of money is holding me back, i havent spent any money yet lol ive got all the part from my friends parts civic, but i still need to buy a tranny, cause i got the dx which wasnt the one i wanted, and i need a new clutch, a flywheel cause i didnt have the time to take the other one off, and new tranny lines then the project begins :number1

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
if you got 5g and you have to get an auto, are you dead-set on a honda? IMO an auto foxbody gt will respond well to bolt ons w/auto trans.

just try talkin to your dad man, cause bolt ons for hondas=the slow. even more for autos. like that other guy said, work with suspension or save for turbo, youll be glad you did in the long run instead of wasting money on bolt ons. i have my old bolt ons laying in the garage still.. :mad let us know how it goes, what you decide to get, and post pics when you can ;)

welcome to SHO

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks alot for the advice i gonna just try to prove to my dad but he is dead set on not letting me get a standard because he said he thinks it gonna be to hard for me while im still learning how to drive but i had already dirven my uncles eclipse standard when i was 14 so it really is pissing me off.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
no shit it will be hard...but for like an hour maybe.

You'll have to learn sometime!

I've driven stick my entire life. In fact I feel unsafe driving autos.

BTW are you male or female?

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
shima60 said:
but if you do have to get automatic then yea just do a:

Cold air intake

Full catback exhaust

and some decent rims

that should keep you happy and give the car the style and the noise without spending over much
If you just want to be decently fast, get an auto foxbody or F-body. If you're dead set on imports or a civic for that matter. I wouldn't do an exhaust or rims. In my opinion and in the opinion of my peers that just makes you that much closer to being a ricer. If I were in your situation and wanted a civic. I'd get the auto like you're dad requires, work on the suspension and tires and use it for auto-x. It will be easier for a new driver with the automatic anyway, really teach you how to drive, and be a blast. Once you turn 18 tell your dad to fuck himself swap in a B18c or H22 whatever makes you happy and you'll than have a new peppier engine with a stick and the suspension set-up and driving ability to back it all up at auto-x or the strip.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I agree with the stick being saver then auto, you cant eat,talk on the phone anything like that since well you NEED both hands to drive safley.

tell him that with an auto you can talk eat beat off(j/k) while driving. with a stick it makes you pay atention to the road. when I drive my moms auto I start looking of the road and spaceing out or fideling with the radio. in a stick car all you do is drive making it safer.

·
Registered
274 Posts
we did my brothers mt swap in 4 hours and for about 200 bucks :D

that one civic said:
if you spend less than $1800-$2000 on a auto-to-manual switch, i'd be very surprised. that price includes all parts and labor for install btw, if you install it all yourself, it'll obviously be a lot cheaper.

parts you'll need:

ECU from manual car
Transmission
Shift Linkage
Pedal set from manual car
Flywheel
Clutch
Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch Slave Cylinder

...and maybe a few other things, i have this feeling that i'm forgetting something. i looked into doing that swap when i had teh D15B VTEC put into my EG8, but it was just too much money at the time. i think that if i'd been able to keep that car, i might have eventually done the swap though, there really is no comparison between and auto and a manual.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.