Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody now where i could find a place that fixes rims around the los angeles area, or how to fix it yourself?
i just got my teggy about 3 months ago and the previous owner hit the curb before :mad , i did got a little discount though to get that fixed, but i couldnt find one anywhere :( . i really need help

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
it all depends on how much damage has been done.
many of those places that fix rims are expensive and if your wheel has extensive damage you're probably better off just buying a new wheel rather
than fixing your old one.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i hit a pothole last night in the center lane on the highway going into boston. It only bent the rim a very small amount but it broke the outer belt in my tire. No air has been leaking but im worried the tire is going to blow out now.

Also im sure if i used a piece of plywood to prevent dents i might be able to hammer the little bow out of the rim. Has anyone ever done that?

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
it all depends on how much damage has been done.
many of those places that fix rims are expensive and if your wheel has extensive damage you're probably better off just buying a new wheel rather
than fixing your old one.
I agree; a local shop wanted like $175.00 to fix mine,
(still held air), and the rim itself costs $100.00, new.
If you've got $500.00+ rims, or discontinued rims,
it might be worth it, but otherwise....

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Try Bolton's in Gardena.
16516 Western Ave.
310-538-5046

I've used them multiple times and have been satisfied with their workmanship. Basically they'll take a torch to your rim, mount it in a jig and rebend it back into shape. They'll take calipers and measure the distances between lips to insure they're parallel & then clean your lip up.

If you hub is off center, they won't work on your rim.

Try www.TMengineering.net

Send Todd an e-mail and ask him for a quote, since he works by "appointment only". He's an IASCA national champion & veteran import drag racer, so he knows the scene and is very careful in his work. But he's almost x2 what Bolton's charges. BTW: He works outta Carson.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Or.... Take a mallet to it and tap it back into approximate shape if it's not too bad (cosmetic damage). :aww (Rubber mallet NOT hammer, etc. ;) )

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
Or.... Take a mallet to it and tap it back into approximate shape if it's not too bad (cosmetic damage). :aww (Rubber mallet NOT hammer, etc. ;) )

hell yeah thats what i was hoping i could do. I just wasnt sure if i was going to take the rim off and find out you need superhuman strength to bend it back. I only have a very slight bend on the lip

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Just watch out for the rebound! :eek

BTW: Bolton's has always charged me between 60-75 bucks.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Are these steel rims or come other metal. If it's Magnesium or Aluminum, I wouldn't try to fix them. Those metals are strong when forged, but when they break it's really hard to fix them. Usually when you hammer on them they shatter/chip into pieces. If you weld them back together you will change their physical properties. Now for steel you can just hammer it back into place, but it will be weaker in that spot.....

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
GSRGreenSleeper said:
Are these steel rims or come other metal. If it's Magnesium or Aluminum, I wouldn't try to fix them. Those metals are strong when forged, but when they break it's really hard to fix them. Usually when you hammer on them they shatter/chip into pieces. If you weld them back together you will change their physical properties. Now for steel you can just hammer it back into place, but it will be weaker in that spot.....

They are konig appeals, im not sure what they are, I think its aluminum or an alloy. I dont have a picture of the dent but its barely anything. You wouldnt even notice it just glancing, so it would only require a small amount of bending

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
logikal x said:
They are konig appeals, im not sure what they are, I think its aluminum or an alloy. I dont have a picture of the dent but its barely anything. You wouldnt even notice it just glancing, so it would only require a small amount of bending
Hmmm.... if it was me I wouldn't try it. I've seen a lot of stuff when I worked at the tire store. I just wouldn't feel safe. If you think it'll be ok, then go for it. If you get into it and think something just doesn't feel right, scrrape it and buy a new one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i got the stock gsr blaze, the previous owner scraped the spokes of the rims, i think he hit the crub or something

1 - 12 of 12 Posts