Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday I got in my car and when I hit the gas petal the lights began to flicker uncontrollably, but very steadily. pulled the alt and the battery. battery was dead, alt was good. got a new batt, put the alt back in, and the light still doing it, but only after I've hit the gas.

called honda, they said its a common problem. there is a wire between the engine block and the intake that has worn down to bare wire that is "shorting" out from the vibrations of the engine. they also said it was only visible from underneath the car.

so I get underneath, not only do I not see that many wires, but I don't see any bare wires. everything is wrapped tight in tape or loom. can anyone direct me to the general area I should be looking in?

oops forgot: 1998 civic dx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
great, to make things worse...called honda again, gave me a more descriptive location...still no bare wire. they told me to check for a blown 15 amp fuse. checked all of them (one of them the fuel pump). checked a few more "starting" related fuses and found the alternator sp sensor fuse blown. replaced it, and now the car won't start at all.

did pulling the fuel pump fuse cause it to not start?

·
Registered
496 Posts
have you gone back and rechecked to make sure all the fuses are in securely and properly and that the ones you replaced were replaced with the correct fuse? That kind of behavior makes me think that it would be a bare wire somewhere, that only touches metal when the engine is above idle and shaking more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HondaGuyEli said:
That kind of behavior makes me think that it would be a bare wire somewhere, that only touches metal when the engine is above idle and shaking more.
yeah thats whats causing the lights to flash that way, we are having problems finding the wire itself...but the car wont start now, so thats first priority now...prob taking it to honda this weekend...

·
Registered
496 Posts
same thing happened to my friends 78 Jeep CJ-5 this week, bare wire, caused a short and he had to tow the thing back home and hunt for the bad wire. He found it after a while.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts