Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this here b/c i have an accord and would prefer someone who has an fmax to have an accord and also posting this in the turbo section.
Im sure that everyone on this forum is tired of hearing about fmax but since the resent loss of information on superhonda the search forum comes up empty. So i am going to ask questions abou it. I have an 02 accord coupe 5 spd. I am coming into alot o money maybe and I want to do a turbo and do it so that my car will be extremely reliable and will never blow up. I just heard that the fmax is a good turbo that inlcudes everything you need to keep your reliablilty in your honda. I am also looking at getting an APEXI avc for the turbo. GIve me some informative feeback,,not "fmax sucks!" tell me why of why it is good
thanks

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
giantxtc19 said:
I am posting this here b/c i have an accord and would prefer someone who has an fmax to have an accord and also posting this in the turbo section.
Im sure that everyone on this forum is tired of hearing about fmax but since the resent loss of information on superhonda the search forum comes up empty. So i am going to ask questions abou it. I have an 02 accord coupe 5 spd. I am coming into alot o money maybe and I want to do a turbo and do it so that my car will be extremely reliable and will never blow up. I just heard that the fmax is a good turbo that inlcudes everything you need to keep your reliablilty in your honda. I am also looking at getting an APEXI avc for the turbo. GIve me some informative feeback,,not "fmax sucks!" tell me why of why it is good
thanks
informative feedback: turbo'd honda motors suck ass unless you have mega cash to blow (around $4k in motor buildup, not including the turbo kit)....but then it becomes a question of maintaining it constantly and it gets super expensive. if you want reliability, look to spend gobs of cash. no turbo kit will offer the same reliability as a motorswap unless you spend the cash to bullet proof the engine.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
turbocharged on stock engine.. yet extremely reliable. hmmm....it seems that you want the best of both worlds but as you know that is really hard. you will have to build up your bottom end before turbocharging. seeing that you have a new car, i will wait until making any big decision.

if you really want 50+more hp yet have more reliabilty than a turbocharger, i would look into getting a new engine. (h22)
besides, maintaing turbocharger could be a pain in the neck~

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes my car is a 2002 but it has 37,000 miles on it. To build up my bottom end what would i need to do?

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
giantxtc19 said:
yes my car is a 2002 but it has 37,000 miles on it. To build up my bottom end what would i need to do?
lower compression pistons, rods, rings, wrist pins, resleeve the block, tap the block for an oil line...hmm.....i can't think of anything else right now....and that's only the block. turbo wants high end performance, so you'd have to strengthen the head so you don't drop a valve on those pistons.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
where would i go (aka website) to find these parts to build up my engine esp. for a 6th gen accord? so all these people out there that drive a honda and have a turbo are riding on engines that are half way from blowing up or have invested 7500 dollars to drive a reliable FI honda.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
giantxtc19 said:
so all these people out there that drive a honda and have a turbo are riding on engines that are half way from blowing up or have invested 7500 dollars to drive a reliable FI honda.
indeed....but if you still wanna do it, i have hookups on parts. do some research, find the brands you want, let me know, and i'll get you a price.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
once you turbo a honda you throw away it's great reliability. if this is your daily driver and your not an experienced mechanic that can monitor the engine and maintain it propery, i would not pursue this.

look into trading in your car in and use the money for the turbo towards a car that is fast stock.

·
Registered
328 Posts
UltraMagneticAL said:
indeed....but if you still wanna do it, i have hookups on parts. do some research, find the brands you want, let me know, and i'll get you a price.
ultra is the man! :tu2:
i wished i lived in socal

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ultra. most of H22 hybrid accord dun have power steering right
that not good here in SF ha ha ha ha
maxrev also make a kit for accord btw

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
gideonkho said:
Ultra. most of H22 hybrid accord dun have power steering right
that not good here in SF ha ha ha ha
maxrev also make a kit for accord btw
ps can be kept, i just took it out cuz i didn't wanna keep it. (and the workout is the SHIT....and it deters friends from wanting to drive my car) lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can someone give me a brand or website where i can find stuff to build my engine up in my 6th gen (aka pistons and so on)I have looked all over and alot of places have stuff for the f22 but not the f23.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ultra - i would like to know how a motor swap is the only way to keep a honda motor reliable? how do you know how the person before you ran the motor? the motor you get could have been run for 50,000 miles with the original oil in it. hell it could have been run with a quart of oil in it. i had a friend that got an H22 that didnt have an inner valve spring and it blew a week later. turbo hondas arent reliable because people turn the boost up too high and think they can get away with it. my Accord ate H22 Accords for breakfast. i walked Preludes. why would you do a swap that makes you still slower than a Prelude? due to weight. you dont need to build a motor to be turboed. yeah it would be better but not needed

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
DC2TegNA said:
ultra - i would like to know how a motor swap is the only way to keep a honda motor reliable? how do you know how the person before you ran the motor? the motor you get could have been run for 50,000 miles with the original oil in it. hell it could have been run with a quart of oil in it. i had a friend that got an H22 that didnt have an inner valve spring and it blew a week later. turbo hondas arent reliable because people turn the boost up too high and think they can get away with it. my Accord ate H22 Accords for breakfast. i walked Preludes. why would you do a swap that makes you still slower than a Prelude? due to weight. you dont need to build a motor to be turboed. yeah it would be better but not needed
i never said it's the only way. and that's your friend's fault for not checking the motor before putting it in.

·
Registered
96 Posts
so are you really gonna take the whole motor apart to make sure its ok? do most people take the blocks apart to make sure the bearings are alright? do most people take the heads apart to make sure everythings there and moving right? no to all three of them

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a turbocharged 4cyl accord with about 5,000miles on it currently running 6Ibs of boost. I daily drive it so far I haven't had any problems with it. Really fun to drive but getting gas every other day really sucks and oil changes every 1500k with syntetic gets expensive. Keep in mind that no turbocharger on a stock bottom engine will last very long. My car is leased (yes I know i turbocharged a lease car) and is going back to stock allready have some parts backon Im thinking of getting a used prelude just becuase I think the h22 NA has alot you can play around with without worring about blowin it up.

·
Super Ban-Finger Mod
21,367 Posts
DC2TegNA said:
so are you really gonna take the whole motor apart to make sure its ok? do most people take the blocks apart to make sure the bearings are alright? do most people take the heads apart to make sure everythings there and moving right? no to all three of them
i have and always will whenever i do motor swaps. if you don't know how, then why are you doing the swap on your own in the first place? most places i know of test compression before they sell the motor, then you get a warranty. turbo just gets hella expensive in the long run and i wouldn't recommend that for people that don't know what they're getting into.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts