Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been through the hassle of the swap and am willing to answer any questions you might have.

I also have a 93-95 h22 ecu that im willing to sell for 175 and if you are intrested plz e-mail me at [email protected]

Finding this ECU is very hard and is essential to finishing the job

·
Registered
46 Posts
maybe you can sway me back into getting the h22 instead of a b18c.

1. how's the handling?
2. didyou upgrade the axles(heard breaking axles were common)?
3. were you able to keep a/c and p/s?
4. is there room left for a turbo?
5. any traction problems(also heard this was a common prob)?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a h22 in my accord. It handles fine. Yes I was able to keep my ac and that other crap. no i did not have to upgrade my brakes or suspension. and there is a ton room for a bad ass turbo setup

sry i dont have aim and will somone plz take this ecu of my hands :D

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
PPen131 said:
maybe you can sway me back into getting the h22 instead of a b18c.

1. how's the handling?
2. didyou upgrade the axles(heard breaking axles were common)?
3. were you able to keep a/c and p/s?
4. is there room left for a turbo?
5. any traction problems(also heard this was a common prob)?
it's an accord, of course the handling won't change. it's the same size engine: 2.2L. it's on a civic that handling sucks with a h22 in it. it's also on a civic that you can't keep the a/c and p/s, becasue the engine bay wasn't designed for such a big engine. on an accord it's not a problem because like i already said it's the same size engine.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Damn I wish you had an integra. Then you would be able to answer all my questions. I am thinking about going H22 this summer. I would buy that ECU but I am not sure yet so not right now, sorry.

·
Registered
73 Posts
hey justchillin, you are mistaken. there is a way to keep you a/c with the h22 in a civic and the handeling is not that much worse. the h22 only weighs about 80 pounds more than a d seris civic motor. and in order to keep the a/c all you need to do is relocate it man.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I can NOT stress this enough!

GO TO A REPUTABLE SHOP. RESEARCH. GET THEIR CUSTOMERS TO CALL YOU. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOURE GETTING INTO WITH H22A INTO A CIVIC.

that said. let me go into the specifics. I drove my car with a fresh new swap from NYC to Philly.
-It did not over-heat even with the factory CX radiator.
-It did not understeer more noticably than before. The clutch was heavier. ALOT heavier....its the ACT extreeme street disc. anyway. it only understeers when you throw it hard and i do mean HARD into a turn. suspension tweaks will help to make the car more neutral or maybe even tail happy.
-theres still plenty of room for a turbo. even with the HCP race mount kit in there is still room.
-I did break an axle the second day i had it back. all we know is that the axles the shop used werent correct for the swap. they didnt snap...the splines didnt line up right and the differential ripped the splines right off the axle. the shop...as yet will remain unnamed...if you have the correct length axles then you should have no problems. if you decide to run slicks then you may start to encounter axle problems.
-i never had PS but i did lose the AC. Probably unnecessarily, but i lost it nonetheless.
-traction is FINE. its actualy pretty damned good. it just takes careful throttle modulation. I drove it in the snow maybe 2 weeks after i got it home. i was scared at first but i made it home the 5 miles from work just fine. spun it in first a few times but like i said it takes a careful throttle foot. i have shitty tires but i can still manage to chirp into third. it will break free in 1st even at 20mph. if the tires manage to stick through 1st and you shift to 2nd and drop it the tires will break loose again.
-its just disgusting. the torque is amazing and i guarantee that if youre drag racing you will want this swap. otherwise IM gonna be the one whuppin your turbo b16a! you need not fear lude-vtec, gsr hatches, and all kinds of domestic scrap iron. i havent gotten to the track yet, but when i do i will be clippin off mid 13s.
-i pulled up next to a lude vtec and he heard my exhaust and saw my CX badge on the hatch and he was all like "oooh civic w/exhaust, lemme whup him" i pulled on him like he was goin backwards.
-late 90s 3 series bimmer coupe. same story. `cept he had some fake-ass "ion" blue non-HID headlights. he thought he was all fast. passed him like nothing else. he pulls up like "what you have?" im like "Uh...nothing?....intake exhaust..stock engine?" I had a little chuckle and turned around
-GO WITH H22A YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT

·
Registered
114 Posts
ECU

I WANT THAT ECU DAMMIT
i cant buy it though. i CAN trade. i have OBD2-ecu for h22, audio stuff, 2 16" quantum tek s-11s and 2 205-45-16 yoko paradas-low mileage.
if you need 16s the tires are for sure equal swap. they were 120 each new and they have under 5k on them. i think they still have the "new tire nubbies" on them. they were on the back end of an unlowered civic with factory straight alignment.

·
Registered
46 Posts
found a good shop in the houston area that will do a good job on it. heard only good things as opposed to some of the other places. price for labor is a bit high, but i don't mind paying more for reliability and peace of mind. oh, and i get to keep a/c too...can't possibly go without that here in texas.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
kRaZiEwHiTeRiCe said:
hey justchillin, you are mistaken. there is a way to keep you a/c with the h22 in a civic and the handeling is not that much worse. the h22 only weighs about 80 pounds more than a d seris civic motor. and in order to keep the a/c all you need to do is relocate it man.
yeah you can keep it if you do some custom mounting and crap, but most people don't know jack about this crap. they just have a shop install the engine for them, which means they won't have a clue about remounting the condensor and crap like that. and the h22 weighs like 180 lbs more than a d-series i don't know what you've been smoking man.

·
Registered
376 Posts
PPen131-----Where in houston are you talking about? I am thinking of H22ing my integra and I need a good shop in houston. Is it carboy? I hear they are good but they are really expensive. Did you find somewhere else?

·
Registered
46 Posts
jisatsu racing 832-351-2786. they're in the bellaire area. i talked to carboy about the h22 swap too, and they told me handling would be horrible, and there would be no room left for a/c. that's why i decided to go b18c until i talked to the jisatsu guys...most h22 swaps in houston are done there. they got some customers who will take u for a spin in their h22 hybrids if ask them. i'm at UT in austin right now, but i'm definitely gonna drop by and check them out in a couple weeks when i go to houston.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sry man i cant trade for the ecu and i also live in the houston area. I have not heard very many things about that shop on bellaire but i have heard carboy does great work, your car is not in the shop for months, and there is no bullshit, but like everyone says they are fucking expensive, i would go there more if they didnt cost so fucking much:)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Thanks PPen. I will be looking into them as well. When are you planning on doing yours? I won't have mine put in until the end of the summer. Right now I am at college in Ft. Worth but I live in Houston when not at school.

·
Registered
46 Posts
optimistically, sometime this spring. realisticly, this summer. all depends on how fast i can save up. i've been obsessed w/ doing a swap for quite some time now...i eat, sleep, and dream this thing at the moment.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
ATR- I'm going with a Greddy header and I'm wondering what to do about a catalytic converter. I thinking of a high flow one made by Carsound, but I'm unsure as to what size and style to get.

Also, are you using a lude AEM CAI? I have the accord one, but would like to get a 3 inch CAI.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That Jitasu place on Bellaire specializes in engine swap, ive heard that is the best place to go for motor swaps. I have not been there myself but wanna go talk to them about my h22 swap.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im using the 97 prelude intake and it bolts in place fine and i dont know what to say about the cat. im running a stock cat right now ans some custom work had to be done, but i had as special circumsatnce so the custom cat work that had to be done on my car may not apply to u.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts