Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HERE.

hehe.....I taught myself how to paint.....figured it was alot cheaper than going to a body shop all the time with every new mod......especially since I'm not done.

Whatcha think? (Oh and I know I have to drop it, I still have the coilovers sitting next to me...That, I think I will take to a shop for.)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm?

What do you say is different? The fenders, or the paint color?

If its the color....its because I took the pic with the paint still wet...

·
Registered
601 Posts
You need to put a clear coat on it, goto wal-mart, they sell the Dupli Color stuff, works great... Other wise, good job... Get those coil overs in bro!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm...does it look that bad?

It must be the fact that the paint was still wet when I took the pic....

Its all professional PPG paint, DBU, reducer, clearcoat, and medium activator...

The picture is the labor finished, waiting for complete dryness condition.

I am going to let it all set for a day, and then I am going to give it a nice glaze with some wax...I'll change the pic then, see if there's a difference......

But thanks for the compliments.....considering I just bought the equipment, and learned to use it out of manuals...I'm actually shocked how good of a job it is...

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uhh...

I am guessing people didnt read all the posts..

Its all pro stuff.......PPG paint, and clearcoat......just in the process of drying...

I'll post a new pic after I throw a coat of wax on there tomorrow, when it is fully dried.

Anyone know how to make pics in the sig smaller?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Hmm...I guess for a 1st time it looks good. Better than blue like before. But I'm very picky when it comes to paint. I can pretty much tell any aftermarket job to OEM paint. If I were you, keep it like that until you can afford to have it done professionally. Not trying to be rude at all, just giving my input. Post pics tom. so we can see how it turns out after everything.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
um, are you aware that you should never wax a freshly painted surface. If you have zaino you can wax in three weeks, normal wax you should wait like two months before waxing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
looks decent! gj none the less

powdercoat your rims bronze/gunmetal
and then repaint yourcar white,
then get your coilovers in, and drop it 3' front 2' rear
then get some sort of body kit
then hood with a scoop like the new nsx-R
then wax it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
looks good man, if you don't mind, will you post how you did it and with what tools and supplies and about how much it cost. I am getting some z3's soon and instead of paying someone to do it now and then paying the same person a in a couple months to paint my whole car, i'd wrather save some money now and get the whole car painted at one time.

thanks

looks good man

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
About the wax thing....

Really?

I never heard you can't wax before 2 months or so.....

Any reason why? Does it affect the paint......?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Re: About the wax thing....

xxxHondaGuyxxx said:
Really?

I never heard you can't wax before 2 months or so.....

Any reason why? Does it affect the paint......?
Technically, the paint is still drying, or curing. When I worked at honda autobody though, we would buff it and wet sand it about 2 hrs after something was baked. But we would still tell people not to wash it for 2 weeks, and not to wax for 2 months like cyrogen said. Paint that fresh is actually still really fragile.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What did you use to paint?

Did you use spray can stuff? Or do you have an air compressor and paint gun?

I'm going to be changing fenders and adding new bumpers, side skirts, etc. I know a professional paint job will run 2-3K, and I can't afford that right now.

But I do have an air compressor and my dad has a spray gun. How hard would it be to repaint a whole car?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm..

Well,

Yes, I used all professional equipment, I spent, even after buying all the equipment, less than I was quoted at Body Shops for the fenders to be painted.

Compressor - $399
HVLP gun - 100
touch up gun - 69
Honda paint/reducer - 110.
Clear coat/activator - 78.
Prepping cleaner - 15.
Labor - FREE (hehe)

That all adds up to like a dollar or something.

Anyways, I was quote $1600 to have the fenders prepped and painted at local bodyshops, which I thought was insanity.

If your dad has the equipment, maybe he knows how to use it, and can show you. Just, make sure you take apart the gun and clean it afterwards.

Also, STRAIN the paint before it goes into the gun. I learned the hard way that they clog if you don't and had to sand down a half finished fender and start over. Anyways, check out my other new POST I have, to see what happened to the same car not 24 hours later.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well, I'm probably gonna be doing a lot of painting in the future. I'm modifying my 94 accrod now, but I'm going to start building a race car soon. Probably a 240sx. And, cars bang around on the track, so feel like painting is something I'm going to need to learn.

Glad to know that someone else out there isn't afraid to try it!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I think your painting job looks great. It looks much better than it did before with that light blue color. How long did it take you to paint both your fenders. And also man that sucks that someone would do that to your car!!! Keep holding down the spot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hmm...

Well,

I started around noon, and finished about 5...

It would have been done ALOT faster....if I had some place I could have left my compressor plugged in at..

Its a 33 gallon tank.......and runs out in about 5 minutes of spraying with a paint gun...

I had to spray as much as I could, and then drag the compressor back in the house and let it charge up for like 5-10 minutes again and keep repeating.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts