Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here we go...

Forced induction will be coming to my two Prelude's sometime within the next year, year and a half... Now, my initial plans were to get one larger sized turbo... But, I am being told by some smart-ass whom is going to college for engineering and mechanics that two smalller sized turbos would allow me to put out more boost with very little/if any lag... He's telling me it'll be better in the long-run and will be more cost effective...

I look at like this, and I could be wrong so if I am please go right ahead and correct me... Would the H22 even put out enough exhaust to power both turbines without incredible lag? Secondly, I can't see how this will be more cost effective... The cost of buying two turbo's, cost of labor for the installation, maintenance/repairs. That pretty much doubles the cost right there... Isn't a single "good-sized" turbo more logical when it comes to our smaller 2.2 liter engines? I can see twin-turboing a big v8 or inline-6 like the Supra, but for a Prelude? :rolleyes:

I mean hell, if it can be done then sure I'd want to try it... But, doesn't seem to "sane." What are your thoughts? I've already asked three shops in my area and all 13 men whom have been building engines for 25+ years tell me that a twin-turbo on my car just isn't the smartest move to take. But, this college student is dead-set on twin-turboing being the best bet. I'd like to prove him wrong... :D

· Registered
1,402 Posts
it can be done but as most the of the work will be custom you price of such a project will be extremely high. I also seriously doubt the power gains will be better than a single TD04/5. and yes the turbos will have to be extremely small for just 2 cyl to push. I wonder if the guy you were talking to thinks your car is a V6 or I6, not an I4.

· Registered
1,402 Posts
well if you do it you'll be the first prelude owner to do it. I still say the gains will not justify the cost.

· Registered
1,507 Posts
it could work, but where would you put them...?

a single turbo is easier to do, as there are kits for it... if the dual turbo would be so much better, someone would have done it...

to date, i have seen only dual turbo drag specific cars... apex'i's integra is a tt i believe, and there is an east coast civic that is tt... runs 9s.

you aren't dealing with a huge turbo as it is on a 4 cyl car, so it doesn't make sense to go for 2 even smaller turbos

· Registered
2 Posts
The kid is hopped up on crack!What is the point?You're not going to run high boost pressures.Twin turbos are for low compresion motors that needs lots of boost to make power.Instead of one massive turbo which makes lag they use 2.It's mostly for large displacement motors that run a course type track where they need the power right away.In yor prelude you have a high compresion motor that doesn't need a lot of boost to make make horsepower.You're best bet both finiacally and because of lack of room under the hood would be to run a small turbine with a larger compressor housing to get the boost you want(no more than 10-11 psi)without the lag.Just remember you need the proper fuel supply or you will run lean and detonate.Not good.But anyway's I hope I've helped you somewhat and enjoy boost.Nothing feels better a honda running boost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.