Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ford said it is advancing plans to redesign the new Five Hundred sedan, Reuters reported.

Ford hoped to sell more than 200,000 of the Five Hundred and Montego sedans, and the Freestyle wagon this year. But sales of the three cars have yet to meet targeted volumes, the story said.

"We are going to have a freshening not after four years but after two-and-half to three years," Phil Martens, Ford's head of North American product development told Reuters, referring to the Five Hundred.

"And then we will have another freshening about two years later," Martens said.

The Five Hundred is Ford's new flagship sedan but it's been criticized for its bland styling, especially by comparison with the striking looks of the Chrysler 300 sedan, which has been a hit since it was launched in April.

But Martens defended the design of the Five Hundred, saying sales of the large sedan have been increasing steadily, and declined to say if it would get a design overhaul, although he did note that it may get a powertrain upgrade and better accessories among other changes.

c&d

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
I think the styling for the 500 is definitely bland. I think it'll be a good car for Ford when they make it more attractive and boost the power. A 230-260hp would definitely make it more attractive to buyers.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
design too bland better grab some designer from mazda. they got better designers.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
That's really really funny.

Does Ford really need to report this to the public though? It has to be bad for business to admit willingly that your cars are so boring to look at that it surprised even the company that created it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
i work for ford (lincoln mercury) motor as a tech and can honestly say that im not in love with either the 500 or the montego. IMO, the chrysler 300 is lame (a bently for 30,000? who wants to be seen in that?), but to tell the truth i have heard inside rumors and seen pictures of the new version of a smaller sedan called the mercury milan (ford will have a look alike i dont remeber what it is called) it looked pretty sick though, reminded me of the new jetta and audi a4. bottom line, every company makes mistakes...pontiac aztec.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Camry and accord aren't the poster-cars for excitement either, but Ford pushed the blandness envelope a little too far. I'm glad they realize that.

I'm more worried about the weak 203hp 3.0L v6 powering it more than the looks. Get the 3.5L Duratec out quick! 203hp was okay 8 years ago.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
ricertypeR said:
bottom line, every company makes mistakes...pontiac aztec.
Let me just make the side comment that Pontiac makes more mistakes than most....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.