Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah Yeah, i know i am about 3 years late in asking this question but...

by 2002 (last year for Camaro) who was the winner of the whole Ford Vs Chevy rivalry?

Had a conversation earlier today that ended in a stalemate because no one could decide if there was even a winner.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
IntegerDr3vr said:
Yeah Yeah, i know i am about 3 years late in asking this question but...

by 2002 (last year for Camaro) who was the winner of the whole Ford Vs Chevy rivalry?

Had a conversation earlier today that ended in a stalemate because no one could decide if there was even a winner.

Depends on who you ask? Its a never ending topic. Some say Chevy cause they were typically faster, others will say Ford because the Mustang is still around and the Camaro is gone. The Mustang was the original pony car and is still around. Personally I'm a Ford guy. I like GM a lot too. You can make great power for dirt cheap, but my personal preference is Ford.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
The only reason the camaro is gone if from the greedy ass canucks. GM already answered back with the LS2 GTO. More comfortable, more refined, stock to stock has enough balls to keep the blown cobra at bay, for less money even. I do like the new mustang body style,but I have ridden in one, and while the handling geometry is finally decent it still feels like a ford. If it comes down to a new camaro with an LS2 power plant versus a blown pony car? I'd take the camaro any day.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Right now there isnt a car Ford makes I would buy. As for those engines Fuck the LS2. I cant wait for the LS7 to come out. Its going in the '06 ZO6. Its a 427 small block, dont quote me on this part but I think the internals are Forged. And to top it all of its got a output of 500 horsepower. Cheapest Supercar on the market. This car will probaly be able to beat therr SRT-10. Since its 300lbs lighter. Damn I wish I had enough money for a new ZO6. Price estimates are between 55gs and 70gs. Lot of car for the money compared to Ferrari and Lamborghini.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
FutureFbodyOwne said:
Right now there isnt a car Ford makes I would buy. As for those engines Fuck the LS2. I cant wait for the LS7 to come out. Its going in the '06 ZO6. Its a 427 small block, dont quote me on this part but I think the internals are Forged. And to top it all of its got a output of 500 horsepower. Cheapest Supercar on the market. This car will probaly be able to beat therr SRT-10. Since its 300lbs lighter. Damn I wish I had enough money for a new ZO6. Price estimates are between 55gs and 70gs. Lot of car for the money compared to Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Umm yeah they're forged internals, do you actually think GM would make a 500hp all aluminum engine with cast internals????

The Z06 will cost $65K+. You cant really do too much to the engine because its compression ratio from the factory will already be high, any forced induction would have to be minimal. Z06 is a great car, but its still a $65k+ car. Compare that to the supposed 450hp $40k Cobra that will be coming out, I dont know about you, but I can find a lot of things to do with $25k+.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Personally, I don't get into the "Ford vs. Chevy" thing. I go with what looks good and has the performance to back it. For example - I used to have/love the Chevy Silverado Z71, but I can't stand the current front-end. Therefor, I'd take the sweet looking F-150 anyday. Back in 02, I was looking at 03 Cobra's and 02 WS6s. I like the performance of the 03+ Cobras, but the WS6 wasn't that far behind (without a blower). And since the Cobras don't match the mean look of the WS6, I went with the WS6.

P.S.

With Chevy's LT1/4 and LS1/6, they had been ahead of the game for a while.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Up to 2002? Ha. Not even a competition. I have no idea how any Ford fanboy could say shit from 1993 on up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
spray004 said:
Umm yeah they're forged internals, do you actually think GM would make a 500hp all aluminum engine with cast internals????

The Z06 will cost $65K+. You cant really do too much to the engine because its compression ratio from the factory will already be high, any forced induction would have to be minimal. Z06 is a great car, but its still a $65k+ car. Compare that to the supposed 450hp $40k Cobra that will be coming out, I dont know about you, but I can find a lot of things to do with $25k+.
I'm with you. 40K for a 450 hp Cobra sounds pretty nice, but if that Z06 is anywhere near 55k (highly doubtful)... I may have to take a look. Depending on how the Camaro looks, I may take a look at that as well.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Nathan123 said:
Up to 2002? Ha. Not even a competition. I have no idea how any Ford fanboy could say shit from 1993 on up.
I'll agree, the 94-02 Mustangs were horrible. They had a few good one offs, 95 Cobra R and 00 Cobra R, but for the most part pretty poor cars.

·
Registered
346 Posts
spray004 said:

You cant really do too much to the engine because its compression ratio from the factory will already be high, any forced induction would have to be minimal. Z06 is a great car, but its still a $65k+ car. Compare that to the supposed 450hp $40k Cobra that will be coming out, I dont know about you, but I can find a lot of things to do with $25k+.
What would you want to do to a 500hp car? I would say exhaust like headers and everything and an intake. I dont really know what else you would need. Personaly I would be happy with just 500hp out of a stock car. If I could afford it.

I cant afford anything to do with $1k. Since Im a college student.

·
Registered
964 Posts
chevey engines take very well to bolt ons. i gained 20+ whp with my headers. imagine that with a better built engine. then doing the catback and playing with the intake a bit. i dont see why you couldnt get 50whp from all boltons. then you could tell everyone you have a 570hp corvette.
before i get flamed on the math.... i said 50whp and 570hp. drivetrain loss!?!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I'm a ford guy but both companies have their ups and downs. The camaros look ok but I think the pontiac f-bodies are nasty as fuck looking. Ford's pre-2000 mustangs were nasty too. I do like the fox bodies though, and they're cheap cars that you can make pretty quick for little money. Go 5.0, hehe. In the same way you can make a hell of a fast car with a LT1. I think the 00 and newer ponies look nice and they didn't run too bad either. I just don't like when chevy fanboys always argue "oh well how come camaros are faster than mustangs?" well shit lookie there your 'maro has a whole extra liter of engine... but shit every brand of car has a whole fleet of **** who talk the wrong kind of shit.

FutureFbodyOwne said:
Right now there isnt a car Ford makes I would buy.
What about the '05 ponies? You can't say that you wouldn't drive one of those... ;) (if not you must be a very close minded fanboy, because i can say that about chevy. I would drive a camaro or vette if i had a better deal on one than a mustang lets say)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Up until 2002, like Nathan said, GM absolutely dominated. Nobody can doubt how well the s/c Cobras take to bolt-ons though. 450rwhp just by letting the engine breathe and getting a new pulley is great. To get that with an LS1 without spray or forced induction, you'll need a huge cam along with every possible bolt on which would be way more expensive than for the Cobra. Parts for the Fords have always been significantly cheaper as well.

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
LoPeY said:
Up until 2002, like Nathan said, GM absolutely dominated. Nobody can doubt how well the s/c Cobras take to bolt-ons though. 450rwhp just by letting the engine breathe and getting a new pulley is great. To get that with an LS1 without spray or forced induction, you'll need a huge cam along with every possible bolt on which would be way more expensive than for the Cobra. Parts for the Fords have always been significantly cheaper as well.

Ford aftermarket parts have always been higher priced when compared to GM parts. Just glance through the Summit catalog, you'll always find that comparable parts are cheaper for GM versus Ford, why do you think most local racers run small block Chevys or big block Chevys? When I plan on building my race car, I plan on using a Chevy engine because of the price of parts mainly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What I can't stand is the prices on most of these after-market parts; especially, for my LS1. I know.. I know.. if you wanna play, you gotta pay. For example - I've been shopping around for a supercharger for a while. I guess I'm really taking my time with the hopes that the prices will go down, or I can get a killer sell. Vortech just started advertising a supercharger for the new Mustang, and they want about 4.5K. Vortech has had a supercharger for the LS1/6 for several years now, and they still want +6K! Man, our cars are money pits.

·
Registered
371 Posts
spray004 said:
Ford aftermarket parts have always been higher priced when compared to GM parts. Just glance through the Summit catalog, you'll always find that comparable parts are cheaper for GM versus Ford, why do you think most local racers run small block Chevys or big block Chevys? When I plan on building my race car, I plan on using a Chevy engine because of the price of parts mainly.
I should've been more specific, I mean't parts for the 5.0 and OHC Ford (especially the 5.0) engines versus the LSx engines. For example: fully assembled AFR ported cylinder heads for a 5.0 run $1779 at Thunder Racing, equivalent cylinder heads for a LS1/LS6 run $2389. If you go back to the older engines, then yes the Chevy parts are cheaper.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Extinct said:
What I can't stand is the prices on most of these after-market parts; especially, for my LS1. I know.. I know.. if you wanna play, you gotta pay. For example - I've been shopping around for a supercharger for a while. I guess I'm really taking my time with the hopes that the prices will go down, or I can get a killer sell. Vortech just started advertising a supercharger for the new Mustang, and they want about 4.5K. Vortech has had a supercharger for the LS1/6 for several years now, and they still want +6K! Man, our cars are money pits.
I agree man. For my headers, y-pipe, and catback it cost me about $1600. Bear in mind I bought top of the line stuff and I could've bought a setup for half the cost, but that's still damn expensive. If you're in the market for a supercharger, I'd give Tbyrne a call. www.tybyrne.com They're always posting sales up on LS1tech.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
hobie237 said:
only one still stands.... the mustang sells, the camaro really just didnt sell toward the end, so it was cancelled...

i would give it to chevy tho.... they made a good car that just didnt sell... its kind of a toss up tho.... :confused

HUH?

The sole reason the F bodies were cancelled was because of CAW, Canadian auto workers union. http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0409phr_camaro/ CAW went on strike because GM wanted to phase out their plant and move F body production elsewhere. The gotcha was that they have a contract with Canada to be the sole makers of the F-body until 2017, and Canada won't release the contract because they are pissed off at GM for closing the plant, despite the $100Million + in loans that GM gave the canucks.

·
Registered
578 Posts
LOL MY FRIEND HAS A NEW GTO AND ITS NOT ALL THAT FAST

1 - 20 of 26 Posts