Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just got the new Super Street and am loving it.....all the skylines!

Anyways there is an article in there about a CRX that was converted from a left hand drive car to a right hand!
My first thought was Wow, how expensive, how cool, HOW?
The article doesn't go into much deatail but I can Imagine how stressfull that conversion might be, and trying to get all the parts imported!
I thought the article was awesome.....I don't think I would ever do that conversion even if I had the money, but its cool though!

What do you think about that? Do you know how much that might have cost?
Would you do it if you had the extra money to blow on something?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
legally about 6 grand to import a jdm crx...and be able to drive it here....or u can import a front clip way cheaper to do the conversiona dn if ur handy enough to weld the firewall in then u can do the labor urself and save a ton....it can be done

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
As for all of that dash stuff I believe your mistaken. The way I understand it, the complete front clip includes everything up to like the front of the front seats. That would include the entire dash and steering colum. But ya, everything would have to be re-wired and you would have to weld that shit on. I would be afraid that the structural integrety of the car would be compromised. Those welds will never be as strong as the original frame. I can just imagine the car snapping in half in an accident.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
uhhh the firewall doesnt carry much of a load why dont u explain why that would make teh car snap in half???

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
i wasnt talkin about the whole clip though no reason to do such a thing...the only diff is teh firewall......and the roof but that is welded in by honda anyways.....i heard its easier to drive rhd if ur right handed i imagine it would be better since ur more in control of the steering....but i wouldnt wanna do the work but if someone i knew was doin it and i do know someone doin it soon i wouldnt mind helpping run brake lines and such welding and cutting the firewall is gotta be a bitch

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
there is a difference between a front clip and a front cut....basically what the guy in super street got was a front clip (motor and everything....he even got all the way back to the steering wheel)....then the front cut is everything in front with no motor, the swap would not be that hard if you already had the crap offa the clip or cut....just unbolt and rebolt and unplug and replug......i have made my mind up...im gettin a glass top....oooo sexy

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
I've seen it done to a CRX (a local shop here called Dragon Auto has right hand drive dashes and some other parts for the conversion in stock!)
all you have to do with the rack and pinion for steering is flip it over.. cut a whole in the firewall, cut out the pedal assembly support and re-weld it to the right side, and move all the cables over (since the clutch is cable, the speedo is cable and the throttle is cable, it's a simple matter of moving the mounting points from one side to the other). in all, the swap would cost around 600 if you did it yourself, about 1200+ if you had a shop do it.

but the payback.... oh my god... show winner all the way... judges love that shit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts