Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey do you guys know if having better tires in front really can spin you around when you brake?

I used to have good tires in the front, but a couple weeks ago one went flat so I had to replace the front ones. When I got new ones, the tire shop put my old crappy rear wheels in the front and put the new ones in the back. I thought that since the car is FWD the good tires should be in the front.

The guy said that it would be dangerous, because there would be more grip on the front than in the back, and when braking it could cause the car to spin around.

This annoyed me, because the front tires now really suck and I can't steer as well. Then yesterday I had some work done, and the mechanic said that the new, better tires should be in front (which I would prefer, but not if it sacrifices safety).

So I have two conflicting views on this from people who should know what they're talking about. What do you guys think? Have they done any studies on this to prove it either way?

thanks

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Yeah it could slide since the tires in the rear have less tread. Thats only if they get wet and you try to corner really hard. Now keep in mind your drive wheels are in front, so the crappy tires up could cause them to slip easier too. Either way they can slip. How bad are these tires that you are talking about? Bald? 70% tread left? If the latter, you will be fine where ever the tires are.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
put the new tires in the front and the messed up ones in the rear.
dont worry about skidding. most of your braking force (75%) is generated by the front brakes. the rears will never fully lock up, unless you pull the ebrake.
also civics understeer quite a bit so with messed up tires in the front and bad in the rear will do so even more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts