Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Front Sway Bar...

997 views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  99civ 
#1 ·
Ive been watching sway bars on ebay for while now...I may get a BLOX rear 21mm sway bar...but now for the front...will a front one help with body roll any or should i just be looking for a rear one? Im also plannin on gettin H&Rs soon and maybe new shocks/struts but havent decided which ones yet...

#2 ·
#4 ·
I would start with springs and struts and not think about sway bars until you see how much the handling characteristic of your ride has changed when you are lowered.

Which H&R spring are you planning on using? That can make a difference on which shock to be recommended.

#6 ·
I love my h&r sports with koni yellows. You could always throw the h&r sports on the stock struts and save your money until you can get the konis. The stockers may very well blow with the h&r's on them, but better than settling for inferior shocks... I got the chance to run the h&r sports + koni yellows on a road course a few weekends ago. They handled beautifully :)

The only rear sway setup that I would recommend is the comptech 22mm rear setup (which I have and love) or the ASR rear setup which is a lot like the comptech setup. Take a look at the threads that I posted earlier.

#7 ·
Yeah, would recommend Tokico Illuminas, Bilstein Sports, or Koni Yellows with those springs. KYB AGX would probably get you by too, but you might as well save up an extra $100 and do it with the best.

I'll disagree with kommon_sense though on running the springs on your stock shocks. I just wouldn't do it. There's no reason to if you can save up to do it right. Running the springs on blown shocks is no real "well if it happens, it happens" type of thing. Not with springs like that anyways. It can be dangerous if you aren't able to replace the shocks immediately, and obviously, that doesn't make them cost any less than they would if you just replaced them to begin with.

Sorry, not to contradict or anything, it's just one of my pet peeves.

#8 ·
LordAccord said:
I'll disagree with kommon_sense though on running the springs on your stock shocks. I just wouldn't do it. There's no reason to if you can save up to do it right. Running the springs on blown shocks is no real "well if it happens, it happens" type of thing. Not with springs like that anyways. It can be dangerous if you aren't able to replace the shocks immediately, and obviously, that doesn't make them cost any less than they would if you just replaced them to begin with.
Normally I say the same thing... So whats different about today? I'm pumped full of nyquil :p yeah baby....

But yeah, you are right, better to wait and do it all right the first time. I'd also recommend replacing all of the rubber in your shock/spring assembly while you are at it. I recently did this on my shocks and was amazed at how squashed and deformed the rubber bits were...

#9 ·
Im lookin on ebay now and damn yellows are pretty high priced...but the illuminas arent bad and neither are the Bilsteins...KYB AGX are pretty damn well priced...are they good enough or would i be wasting my money and just save another 150 and get the illuminas? thanks guys

#11 ·
i'll be different and say just get the kyb agx....unless you plan on seriously doing autox (being competitive..not just some events, if any) or some type of racing, you definately do not need yellows...you won't even max out the potential of the agx's on the street or a few autocrosses with a novice driver...if you DO have enough money to afford the yellows then definately get those...but it doesn't seem like you do...but then again i'm a cheap and poor bastard =)

#12 ·
yea me too...im thinkin of either the AGX's or KYG GR-2's or Tokico HP's or dropzones but im almost goin to go on my instinct that u get what u pay for...are the GR-2's good enough? or how bout the HP's? they are in my price range and are both made by some dcent companies...thanks guys

#13 ·
You can listen to whomever you want to.

From damper ability / durability standpoint, I would not, from my experience, recommend any of the ones you listed. If I were picking from only the ones you listed, I would only look at the AGXs.

I've been at it a long time, and I know people that are both fully satisfied and fully dissatisfied with an H&R / Neuspeed sport and KYB AGX setup. I know nobody that is dissatisfied with those springs on any of the dampers I listed above.

Make your own call.

And for the most part I disagree with you azian. If I had AGX's on my car, I guarantee you I would be pushing their limits on county road ZZ behind my house. But then again, maybe I drive my car as if I were on a track, so, I will give you the benefit of the doubt in your wording. Still, I don't know how many setups you've dealt with, but AGX's really have the damping power to give those springs an acceptable ride and decent road feel. As for maximizing their potential, sorry, I just don't think so.

#14 ·
let me explain myself real quick...I hate body roll...Thats why im gettin rid of my slop arospeeds for some H&R's...But there is no way in hell ill run H&R's on stock struts...But im pry goin to have around 400 to spend on both and i've found H&R's for 150 so that leaves me with 250 which is right where the AGX's are...I'm most likely goin to get these. I really dont have the money LordAccord and im not looking for the perfect set up just something nice and will get me by @ my pleasure. IF you guys think this is a bad idea w/ these springs on AGX's...What other springs would you reccomend? Obv. eibachs are out(thank you kommon), neuspeeds are bein related to H&R's...What bout Tein's? Thanks guys, i really do appreciate it...

#15 ·
it's not the springs, it's the dampers.

I'll say it more clearly: The AGX will probably get you by and give you something close to you're looking for. I still don't recommend them. If my purpose in a spring / damper setup was to eliminate as much body roll as possible, then I would not choose AGX, nor would I choose any spring softer than the one's you are getting.

This back and forth is getting you nowhere. You have 250 dollars, you don't want to save up more money, and you have already said that you are more than likely getting the AGX. My prediction? Nothing else I say is going to make you change your mind. So just buy them already, you're right, anything at this point will probably be better than what you've got.

--kory

Reactions: 99civ
#16 ·
you know my shock recommendation, but I understand if the budget doesn't allow. Only one out of your list that I would consider is the kyb agx's. kyb gr2's are OEM replacement shocks, so they are just stock shocks...

One word of caution... My h&r sports dropped the front end lower than I wanted. I used the height adjustability of the konis to raise it back up a notch. This may be because the EX is heaver than the other civs. However H&R offers a different spring set for the 99-00SI, probably to account for the additional weight (nearly 100lbs heaver than EX). You may want to call H&R and ask them if you should use the springs for the 99-00 SI instead of the normal spring for 96-00 civs...

#18 ·
I read all this....

I am much like kommon...don't run race springs on stock struts...but in your case.....freakin run the springs on your stock struts until you can afford some good struts. Or just wait until you have $600 to spend.

I ran Koni reds on my civic and was happy with them. So you may look at them as well. Bilstein HD's, yellows. Good struts. Just save up.

You'll be fine running your stock struts for a couple months before they'll blow. You won't be running at optimum but you won't hurt anything and in the long run you'll be happier because you'll have better struts. So I agree with what Kommon said earlier on.

Besides it only take a couple hours flying solo to pull out, dismount, mount, reinstall.... so it's not that big a deal.

Personally...I say save up. Shouldn't be that long for a couple hundred more.

#20 ·
i dunno hwta im going to do as of now...i think i wanna save my money so i can finish my b16 and get a nice 4dr EG or Hatch to put it in...I may just leave my car how it is now b/c it gets me around...but thanks guys, i appreciate all the help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.