Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the GSR what happens when you hit the 8100rpm fuel cut off (I don't really feel like trying it and risk breaking something). does it just cut back so you'll stay around 8100. Or does it just die? what exactly happens? I've also heard you can get chips that let you set this for clutch in and clutch out. So you can do things like set it at 3K with your clutch floored then drop your clutch to launch.

· Banned
2,834 Posts
01gsr said:
On the GSR what happens when you hit the 8100rpm fuel cut off (I don't really feel like trying it and risk breaking something). does it just cut back so you'll stay around 8100. Or does it just die? what exactly happens? I've also heard you can get chips that let you set this for clutch in and clutch out. So you can do things like set it at 3K with your clutch floored then drop your clutch to launch.
The fuel cut off for the B series and many other Honda products is Computer controlled by the ECU which electronically "Cut's" or "limit's" the fuel injected into the cylinders. Thus emitting a "sputtering" sound almost like a "Da-Da-Da-Da-Da" stutter as it hit's and is ridden and as it cut's power made by the car.

This happens as you are driving the car and it is in gear and under load it revs into the redline and you hear this sound. It is a safety measure so you don't drive it into the dangerous zone of the redline where mechanical failure will occur.

BUT, You can mechanically override this electronic safety measure, "IF" you accidentally misshift or downshift at high RPM in a higher gear into a lower one like say from Redline 5th gear and you misshift into 3rd, then BLAM!!! you have overridden the ECU and probably floated a few valves and bent some rods.

For those of us who race frequently, we know and love the revlimiter. The first time you hit it, it's scary like "what did I do to my car?" But, over time you learn to drive as aggresively as possible and hit the limit, sometimes ride on it slightly but, try as hard as possible to hover near it sometimes hitting but, trying to stay just below it by a few hundred RPM to carry the maximum amount of speed and power without cutting it off.

When racing, every time you hit the limit, you are losing power and thus speed but, sometimes it just can't be avoided and Thank God it's there to save your motor.

It is NOT a good idea to ride it often or long since starving the motor of fuel under extreme conditions like racing is also a BAD thing, but, better off then revving it to the sky and blowing it right there.

Hitting it an be scary but, if just touched or graced for short periods, it is not Bad and is actually saving your car from serious damage.

Changing the revlimit like with a VAFC or programmable ECU is electronically changing the limit or raising it. THIS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE WHEN TUNING THE CAR ON A DYNO AND FOR RACE PURPOSES OR WITH AFTERMARKET CAMS THAT ACTUALLY MAKE POWER IN THAT ZONE, since for most stock cams you will peak earlier than the revlimit and the power will just fall off after the limit itself. People raise the limit on cars that have been tuned and with aftermerket cams that either make power in that zone or for race applications where the car maintains power in stock form but, they do not want to get the power cut on certain courses to lose power and speed.

Besides the stock valvetrain for all B series Sans the ITR for the sake of this post and argument are NOT designed to function well above the limit. Valvetrain componants are a different story and on other posts.

Raising the limit just to say: "Yo I rAiSeD My LiMiT tO 10,000 Yo! AnD mAdE mAd PoWa Yo!" is just dumb as Hell since the motor can't safely spin that fast Stock OR Aftermerket AND NO stock or aftermerket cams make power in that RPM zone.

Stay away from chips altogether for the Integra, I haven't heard of a chip that does this but, of course it could exist I can't imagine why though... Learning how to launch is the way to go, NOT modifiying your cars revlimit to compensate for lack of knowledge and skill.;)

Good luck,

A.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.