Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now i have the jrsc running at around 5 pounds of boost on my d16.

for fuel i have a blox fuel pressure regulator with a B&M gauge, and no sort of FMU or Map Controller or whatever

after doing research and with what i have, instead of going the FMU/Map controller route i'm leaning towards the Apexi AFC with a tune.

i would like to hear why or why not i should go this way. to me it sounds more ideal, and i'd just like to add that i am on a bit of a budget so hondata is out of the question

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So as of right now you are running the SC with no means of getting the proper fuel you need at boost????

before i was yes. i had the stock fuel pressure turned up enough to run fairly rich at full boost, but which also meant i was running very rich under no boost.

right now im actually borrowing my friends vortech FMU which is a 6:1 ratio i have the fuel pressure turned up a little higher than stock just to be safe, it runs much better but i have had some detonation, rather than no detonation before the FMU, but im sure that will help my fuel economy a little bit :rolleyes

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
before i was yes. i had the stock fuel pressure turned up enough to run fairly rich at full boost, but which also meant i was running very rich under no boost.

right now im actually borrowing my friends vortech FMU which is a 6:1 ratio i have the fuel pressure turned up a little higher than stock just to be safe, it runs much better but i have had some detonation, rather than no detonation before the FMU, but im sure that will help my fuel economy a little bit :rolleyes
I cant believe that thing even ran right under boost or not under boost the fmu that come with the kit is 5:1, what did you have the FPR set at it had too be running mad lean under full boost,, you did have a wideband on it right?? I personally am not a fan of the AFC if you do more research on the AFC you will see that ALOT of people hate them because they inheirently advance your timing under boost. You were planning on getting bigger injectors right?? i dont think you have given much thought on this definately stay with the FMU to keep it somewhat safe. The FMU I used for a while caused lean and rich conditions throughout the rpm range.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cant believe that thing even ran right under boost or not under boost the fmu that come with the kit is 5:1, what did you have the FPR set at it had too be running mad lean under full boost,, you did have a wideband on it right?? I personally am not a fan of the AFC if you do more research on the AFC you will see that ALOT of people hate them because they inheirently advance your timing under boost. You were planning on getting bigger injectors right?? i dont think you have given much thought on this definately stay with the FMU to keep it somewhat safe. The FMU I used for a while caused lean and rich conditions throughout the rpm range.

it honestly didnt run that bad at all when i had the pressure set right. my friend ran his 91 civic for almost 2 years with just a pressure regulator, but he said this was back before they even had FMU's ha.

and i actually had a conversation with someone who ran an AFC in there boosted integra and ended up going with hondata right after, they said to stick with the FMU and dont bother with the AFC because over time i'll end up spending just as much as if i was to invest in hondata.

the FMU is decent it does its job but under some conditions my motor still detonates and im barley pushing 5lbs

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah thats true.. so what do you set the fuel pressure to with the fmu? do you set it to OEM or kick it up a little.

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
run OEM fuel pressure, get prelude 370cc injecotrs (i believe they are that rating) and tune it

the d16y8 maxs its 240cc injectors with ZC dome(p29) pistons, header, and intake, so I dont know how you have been running with a supercharger so far

chip your ecu. if you are good at soldeirng, its a 15 dollar cost

or you can go to phearable.com or xenocron.com and buy a chipped ecu with a fairly decent basemap tune to get you to your tuner

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
run OEM fuel pressure, get prelude 370cc injecotrs (i believe they are that rating) and tune it

the d16y8 maxs its 240cc injectors with ZC dome(p29) pistons, header, and intake, so I dont know how you have been running with a supercharger so far

chip your ecu. if you are good at soldeirng, its a 15 dollar cost

or you can go to phearable.com or xenocron.com and buy a chipped ecu with a fairly decent basemap tune to get you to your tuner

where can you buy the chips to chip your own ecu?

·
Registered
10,346 Posts

you can remove your current ecu, remove the 5 screws and open up teh ecu and look in the bottom right corner, if you are holding the ecu so that the connectors for the harness are on your left

RT256, something like that, 27 thrown in there

do some research on chipping honda ecus and you will find all your answers as you read

·
Registered
10,346 Posts
and dont try soldering in the chip socket without a large amount of soldering experience

it is NOT for the average person to do, the soldering is tiny and one little mistake will cost you an ecu

no one wants to be without a car :( you might be able to find a chipped P28 ecu online, ebay.com

xenocron.com and phearable.net are 2 good sources for information, and they both allow you to ship your ecu to them to chip it and they will provide an extra chip, and a basemap for teh supercharger if you tell them exactly what parts you are using. theyb are reliable enough to get you to the tuner to get it dialed in so teh motor wont blow :btu:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
soldering is extremely easy, heres a tutorial.

Honda ECU Hacking & Editing Windows Software. Uberdata / Crome

Theres a jumper in there that you can replace with a off/on switch, this will let you go from your modified ecu setup to stock with the flip of a switch. Check up on that too.

Moates.net has everything you need.

PGMFI.org will be good for you to look up if you have not already, and check this out.

http://www.grapeaperacing.com/tech/superchargers.pdf
http://www.grapeaperacing.com/tech/fuelsystems.pdf

I would not run a FMU(piggybacking sucks IMO). I would just chip the ecu/get a chipped one, modify the injectors as Matt said. Get it tuned and be done wit it.

You also need to understand forced induction camshafts.. not just superchargers, so check this document as well:

http://www.grapeaperacing.com/tech/turbochargers.pdf

I realize its a turbo doc but when you get down to it nitro/super/turbos are all forced induction, thus knowing info on all of them will help you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
awesome thanks a lot guys thats great information, luckily i have about a year of experience with soldering when i worked at a circuit board company so chipping will be cake. never thought it was that easy to slap a chip on and throw some bigger injectors in.. well maybe not quite...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts