Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Drove my car(93 Civic EG with LS swap)and all was fine except for every now and then while lugging at low RPMs it would seem to stumble a little bit like it was starving for fuel. I only noticed it a few times but as soon as I would down shift and hit the throttle it would clear up..I just went out to head into town..put key in and turned ignition and the engine started but only ran for a split second and died. I looked at the dash to see my CEL on. WTF I was thinking.

So I turned the ignition switch off and back on..Fuel pump is not starting and usually as we all know you can hear the fuel pump kick on and when it goes off the CEL goes off with it. Well the pump won't start up and the CEL stays on. I jumped the ECU but it won't give me any codes, CEL just stays solid when ECU is jumped,Checked the wires going into the fuel pump under the seat and all looked ok. So I thought maybe my main relay took a shit. My cousin was with me..so we went over and grabbed her Del-Sol. I unplugged her main relay and plugged mine into her car and her pump still came on with my relay in.

Anyone else have any idea on what it could be? Maybe the fuel pump itself took a dump?

Thanks for any responses..I searched as usual but mostly found articles dealing with people that had cars not running correctly and thought it might be a fuel injector or pump problem. I will also take my multimeter and try and check the fuel pump tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,

Matt.

· Registered
4,086 Posts
agreed, fuel pump is hitting the end of the road. might take it to someone to check pressure that the pump is putting out, not sure if multimeter would tell the whole story.

· Registered
10,346 Posts
my car would not start the other day loss of power. it ended up being a relay (pgm-fi) try that too they do break often enough....
He checked his relay wih another car. Im thinking the pump is going as well.

Easy way to tell is mount a fuel pressure gauge somewhere and watch it while a buddy starts the car, if it dips or acts erratic, you know for sure its the pump. Be aware hondas like going through distributors, so keep that in mind.

· Registered
10 Posts
pump problem

thats true but you can also hear the pump turning on for two seconds when you turn on your ignition so if there is no noise then check your relay, i'd check this first as its minium effort and only takes five minutes!

· Registered
10,346 Posts
Well maybe todays events can help you. Ive had an engine light for the past week, random "misfires" more often as each mile I drove, today it finally died and cant go 3 seconds without misfiring, and cant go 2 minutes without dying. Fuel pump is bad on my car. Ordered a 255 walbro. Sorry if I posted this already (if I did at least lol) Im too lazy to read above :lol sorry, its been a long day at the jefferson swap meet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.