Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
DDR2 said:
FWD is better than AWD in snow according to car and driver
No no no. That's not what they're saying at all. They are proving that snow tires on a 2WD vehicle will perform better than shitty stock tires on a 4WD vehicle. That makes sense. The 4WD's with snow tires still destroyed the 2WD's, though.

·
Registered
5,405 Posts
Nathan123 said:
No no no. That's not what they're saying at all. They are proving that snow tires on a 2WD vehicle will perform better than shitty stock tires on a 4WD vehicle. That makes sense. The 4WD's with snow tires still destroyed the 2WD's, though.
Ditto.

AWD/4wd > FWD/Rwd tire for tire.

But going back to what DFDR2 said, in a way, AWD cars are harder to stop just because of the added mass of the AWD system and while AWD is useful in overall handilng and accelerating on such conditions, it does nothing for you in terms of stopping quicker. But the tradeoffs are more than worth it in my opinion. The last two 6+" of snow days we've had were a Saterday night cruise for me:D and a nightmare for all the other 2wd vehicles on the road.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
5.0 said:
Ditto.

AWD/4wd > FWD/Rwd tire for tire.

But going back to what DFDR2 said, in a way, AWD cars are harder to stop just because of the added mass of the AWD system and while AWD is useful in overall handilng and accelerating on such conditions, it does nothing for you in terms of stopping quicker. But the tradeoffs are more than worth it in my opinion. The last two 6+" of snow days we've had were a Saterday night cruise for me:D and a nightmare for all the other 2wd vehicles on the road.
a couple of weeks ago, we got a little over half a foot of snow. i was driving around with my stock tires and had very little trouble. i was following in the tracks of the SUV tires though, otherwise i think i wouldve had alot more trouble. but i saw SUVs sliding around all over the place. it took me a couple of minutes to get used to the new conditions, but once i did, it seemed like i was actually handling better than some of the suvs out there. i think i was the only compact car out there that day. it was the first time, i actually used my ABS and that helped a buttload- i almost ran right through a stop sign once but the ABS stopped me. i think FWD are really underrated in snow and icy conditons and SUVs are too overrated.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
fwd is beautiful in the snow

and the only reason people with 4wd suvs get in so many accidents is that they overestimate the vehicle's ability to get them through the snow and drive like lunatics...

4wd should be the best, but people tend to be more careful with 2wd, either front or rear, and therefore get in less accidents...

when it comes right down to it... its the driver... if 0 wheels have traction, who cares how many wheels are driving?????? 4wd doubles the chances of finding traction, but once you're going, if you hit ice, it aint gonna stop you, and people need to understand that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.