Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nintendo Restarts GameCube Production
Does this mean people are buying GameCubes?

November 05, 2003 - Japan's Nihon Keizai Shimbun newspaper reports that Nintendo has, as of October, restarted production on the GameCube hardware. According to the paper, the stock of four million systems held over from the previous financial term have all been sold, prompting the renewal of production.

Nintendo, back in January, revealed that it would be temporarily stopping production of the GameCube due to excess stock.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
nintendo seems to be doing better market wise...i read somewhere that there supposedly 2nd now to Sony

·
Registered
131 Posts
i think the price drop and the color changes had everything to do with that. i remember when it first came out in purple or whatever you wanna call it.... i was like "that thing is hideous, nobody is gonna buy that. it doesnt even play music or movies"

i dont even think gc sold out on launch day. now at $100 i hear more and more people saying "damn.... thats not bad"

ill take my ps2 and xbox over gc any day.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i forgot where but i think in Europe the GC is number one, but i could be wrong.. ill look for the article in a bit.

*EDIT*

In the week following the price cut, Nintendo said it sold 61,000 consoles, up from weekly average sales of 15,000 during August and September. Nintendo's senior vice president of marketing, George Harrison, believes this figure is sustainable throughout the holiday season, and cites the introduction of over 100 new games before the end of this year as a major factor in that belief.
Andrew Burnes IGN.com
Sales Surge in Europe
UK GameCube price drop spurs sales.

October 22, 2003 - Nintendo of Europe Tuesday announced that sales of GameCube have increased by 10 times since the company dropped the price of the console to 99 euros in the region last week. Sales of the system were up by 400% in the first two days alone, according to Nintendo.

David Gosen, managing director, Nintendo of Europe, said: "With the very best games now combined with a truly unbeatable console price, GameCube is flying off the shelves across Europe. Add this to a software line up that's increasing to over 200 games by Christmas, including the launch of the long awaited Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and the Nintendo GameCube will prove itself as the console of choice."

Nintendo of Europe will support the new, low price of GameCube with a wealth of software releases spread out throughout the year, including everything from Mario Kart: Double Dash!! to 1080: Avalanche, Soul Calibur II, FIFA Football 2004, WWE WrestleMania XIX and Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike.
IGN - GC News
im glad to see the Big N is doing well :)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
any word on if they are planning on another console? seems like xbox and playstation is becoming more and more popular

·
Banned
3,307 Posts
IntegraTypeRS said:
any word on if they are planning on another console? seems like xbox and playstation is becoming more and more popular
nintendo has said numerous times they wont be so late to the market like they have been in the past..so expect them to be first or 2nd for the next gen consoles

·
Registered
896 Posts
I just hate them b/c they are "mini" disc and some games need 2 discs, thats just retarded, are they even dvd format? They are way behind if you ask me. Drop in cost will help parents buy them as Xmas gifts b/c they just don't know better IMO

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hooked_on4 said:
I just hate them b/c they are "mini" disc and some games need 2 discs, thats just retarded, are they even dvd format? They are way behind if you ask me. Drop in cost will help parents buy them as Xmas gifts b/c they just don't know better IMO
dont mean to bash on you but since when did the media of a system matter? the N64 was cartrige based when all other systems were CD-ROM based and that system produced some of the best games to date.. and i do remember FFVII for the PS1 was 4 disk and i dont think that was retarded..

MEDIA: 3 inch NINTENDO GAMECUBE Disc based on Matsushita's Optical Disc Technology, Approx. 1.5GB Capacity..these optical disk are often refered to mini-DVD but its based off of that format..

"They are way behind if you ask me." LOL nah they are not behind or else how in the world would they be pushing systems left and right.

IMO Nintendo's innovations in the gaming scene is what leads to better Next Gen systems.. who was the first to have an ‘Analog Stick’ on a console controller? who had the first ‘Rumble Feature’ on a control? (which both are now standard on all current systems) who had the Four Controller Ports on there system? those are just little examples but what about Nintendo’s Disk Drive idea.. the ability to add/edit content to a game? now this concept is being used in Microsoft’s Xbox with the used of a Hard Drive, and soon to be PS2 Hard Drive.. some people just don’t give Nintendo the credit it deserves.. just because Nintendo’s GameCube uses “mini-disk” does not mean the system is retarded, that is a completely ignorant statement.. just think about it, if all system manufactures used the same ideas as each other, we might not have the innovations we have today.. with competition between manufactures leads to innovations which leads to better quality products..

and just to prove that the GameCube is "way behind" here are some facts on the current systems out in the market to prove the GC has the technology to compete with the big boys
Polygon Power

[Note: We're unable to accurately compare the specifications for the below consoles because the method the companies used to measure performance are so different. Sony and Microsoft's numbers are unrealistic and denote the raw (read: not real) performance of their respective systems, while Nintendo's and Sega's numbers are based on real performance during gameplay. With that said, the figures you see are just smoke and numbers. We refer you to compare the actual games.]

GameCube: 6 to 12 million polygons per second (conservative, but realistic estimate)
PlayStation 2: 75 million polygons per second (realistically first-gen games are more like 3-5 million)
Xbox: 150 million polygons per second (does not consider real gameplay environments)
Dreamcast: Roughly 3 million polygons per second
Nintendo 64: Around 150,000 polygons per second
PlayStation: Around 360,000 polygons per second (lacks comparable effects)

Main Clock Speed

GameCube: 485MHz
PlayStation 2: 300MHz
Xbox: 733MHz
Dreamcast: 200MHz
Nintendo 64: 93.75MHz
PlayStation: 33.86MHz

Memory

GameCube: 24MB of 1T-SRAM (main), 16MB of 81MHz DRAM (main), and 3MB of embedded 1T-SRAM in the graphics chip
PlayStation 2: 32MB Direct Rambus RAM (main), 4MB of embedded DRAM on the graphics chip
Xbox: 64MB of RAM (unified memory architecture)
Dreamcast: 16MB (plus 8MB Video RAM, 2MB Sound RAM)
Nintendo 64: 4MB (+parity) Rambus D-RAM (expandable to 8MB)
PlayStation: 2MB (plus 1MB Video RAM, 512kb Sound RAM)

Memory Bus Bandwidth

GameCube: 2.6 GB/s (Gigabytes per second)
PlayStation 2: 3.2 GB/s (Gigabytes per second)
Xbox: 6.4GB/s (Gigabytes per second)
Dreamcast: 800 MB/s (Megabytes per second)
Nintendo 64: 500 MB/s (Megabytes per second) or about 0.5 GB/s
PlayStation: 132 MB/s (Megabytes per second)

Software Format

GameCube: Proprietary GameCube (Optical) Disc, 1.5 GB capacity
PlayStation 2: Proprietary DVD, 4.7 GB capacity
Xbox: Proprietary DVD, 4.7 GB capacity
Dreamcast: Propriety CD, 1 GB capacity
Nintendo 64: Cartridge, 64MB capacity (so far)
PlayStation: CD, 650 MB capacity

IGN.com

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Did they ever release the panasonic version of the GC? I think this is a complete entertainment system.

Plays GameCube software (JAP &USA )

Plays DVD movies (Region 1-6 PAL & NTSC)

Plays Video CDs and MP3

Plays retail CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs

Stainless steel chassis and sturdy handles for lifting

Backlit LCD display for monitoring modes and settings

Consolidated mechanical disc tray holds GameCube optical discs, DVDs, and CDs

Dialogue Enhancer attenuates voices and center sounds

Cinema display modes for brighter or darker movie visuals

Modifications done by third parties, no official warranty through neither Panasonic nor Nintendo applies

Two surround modes to widen normal stereo signals

Bass Plus feature deepens low frequency response for subwoofer owners

Separate subwoofer jack to utilize Bass Plus

Optical out supports Dolby Digital and DTS encoded signal for movies

Two RCA stereo jacks allow for multiple room music playback

Four front-mounted controller ports trimmed with a blue light

Mirrored faceplate protected by polished glass surface

English & Japanese on screen menue (switchable)

·
Registered
896 Posts
210rida said:
dont mean to bash on you but since when did the media of a system matter? the N64 was cartrige based when all other systems were CD-ROM based and that system produced some of the best games to date.. and i do remember FFVII for the PS1 was 4 disk and i dont think that was retarded..

MEDIA: 3 inch NINTENDO GAMECUBE Disc based on Matsushita's Optical Disc Technology, Approx. 1.5GB Capacity..these optical disk are often refered to mini-DVD but its based off of that format..

"They are way behind if you ask me." LOL nah they are not behind or else how in the world would they be pushing systems left and right.

IMO Nintendo's innovations in the gaming scene is what leads to better Next Gen systems.. who was the first to have an ‘Analog Stick’ on a console controller? who had the first ‘Rumble Feature’ on a control? (which both are now standard on all current systems) who had the Four Controller Ports on there system? those are just little examples but what about Nintendo’s Disk Drive idea.. the ability to add/edit content to a game? now this concept is being used in Microsoft’s Xbox with the used of a Hard Drive, and soon to be PS2 Hard Drive.. some people just don’t give Nintendo the credit it deserves.. just because Nintendo’s GameCube uses “mini-disk” does not mean the system is retarded, that is a completely ignorant statement.. just think about it, if all system manufactures used the same ideas as each other, we might not have the innovations we have today.. with competition between manufactures leads to innovations which leads to better quality products..

and just to prove that the GameCube is "way behind" here are some facts on the current systems out in the market to prove the GC has the technology to compete with the big boys
um your stats prove my point, gamecube is "way behind"
polygons per sec are last, memory last, mem bus bandwidth last, and disc capacity last, and when ffvII came out 4 disc was expected but in this day in age when full size dvd discs are superior there is no longer a need for more then 1 disc. Im not arguing that Nintendo didn't do great things in the past but the game cube is left in the dust statistically by the X-box.

To each his own, that game cube just doesn't float my boat, its geared more towards children

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Hooked_on4 said:
To each his own, that game cube just doesn't float my boat, its geared more towards children
Sadly, I have to agree. I have a GC and I only have 2 games, Viewtiful Joe and Super Smash Brothers Melee. I've basically played all of the big titles for it such as Zelda the Wind Waker, Sunshine, Metroid Prime, RE, and none of them have been able to grasp my attention as other games.

Only reason I'm holding on to my Cube is that I hate selling systems, and being that I am a HUGE Metal Gear Solid fan, I want to get The Twin Snakes when it comes out. Yes, I am actually holding on to the GC for this one game, oh, and Viewtiful Joe which is plain awesome. I just hope Mario Kart Double Dash will be spectacular when it comes out.

·
Premium Member
33,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
xtremefusion said:
Sadly, I have to agree. I have a GC and I only have 2 games, Viewtiful Joe and Super Smash Brothers Melee. I've basically played all of the big titles for it such as Zelda the Wind Waker, Sunshine, Metroid Prime, RE, and none of them have been able to grasp my attention as other games.

Only reason I'm holding on to my Cube is that I hate selling systems, and being that I am a HUGE Metal Gear Solid fan, I want to get The Twin Snakes when it comes out. Yes, I am actually holding on to the GC for this one game, oh, and Viewtiful Joe which is plain awesome. I just hope Mario Kart Double Dash will be spectacular when it comes out.
Have you tried Animal Crossing? Or how about any of the Resident Evil games put out for the G.Cube? My main prob w/ the Cube is the lack of 3rd party support for it. But that's a problem Nintendo needs to address at a corporate level.

BTW: Anybody else see the Nintendo commercial with the Japanese school kids mobbing over to buy the new Mario game? I thought it was pretty good.:)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:

BTW: Anybody else see the Nintendo commercial with the Japanese school kids mobbing over to buy the new Mario game? I thought it was pretty good.:)
I like the commercial too, but some of the shots are in HK. Kind of funny, just my two cents thought.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Shiba-Kun said:
Have you tried Animal Crossing? Or how about any of the Resident Evil games put out for the G.Cube? My main prob w/ the Cube is the lack of 3rd party support for it. But that's a problem Nintendo needs to address at a corporate level.
I haven't tried Animal Crossing, but I have tried Resident Evil. Very good, beat it, but you know, its the same game I played several years ago. Graphics were really really nice, gameplay is the same though, but I will look forward to Resident Evil 4 when it comes out. And yes, the Cube is lacking in 3rd party support.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts