Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason my 96 civic has been drinking a lot of gas lately. I pump 89 octane when I go get gas and I keep the car tuned. Does anyone have any ideas of ways to get better gas mileage?

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
how many miles a gallon/tank do you get?
you do mostly city or highway driving? i see you're from queens (me too) so most likely you're in stop and go traffic all the time.
any mods done to the car?

things that you can check and/or replace are:
oxigen sensor
air filter
spark plugs
fuel filter
tire pressure
brakes (to make sure calipers release fully and that they dont drag)

Reactions: jon

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yea, I would try the things he suggested. I keep my air filter clean, and I also add fuel injector after every oil change. I have been keeping off the gas pedal and in my '98 civic a tank lasts me about 2 weeks. Tonite when I filled up I almost had gotten 260 miles from my tank. Which to me, is not really that good. That means I am only gettting like 23mpg... I will try some of those other things and hopefully it helps. With gas prices these days, every little bit you can save sure makes a difference. :)

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I am going to replace my fuel filter. I am getting about 200 miles to a tank, but its all city driving. Actually, there is some open roads, but they are all bak roads and I sometimes like to wind it out. :)

·
Registered
41,903 Posts
I get about 260 to the tank too.. But im running rich in the low rpms.. I need to fix that and maybe it will change.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
check your primary 02 sensor before anything,9 times out of 10 this is what it is

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just pumped 93 oct into the car and dumped a bottle of stp fuel injection cleaner with jet fuel into the mix. So far the runs great and I get a lot of acceleration. I'm gonna keep driving to see if there is any difference in the mileage. Thanks.

iLLeFFeKt CiViC said:
how many miles a gallon/tank do you get?
you do mostly city or highway driving? i see you're from queens (me too) so most likely you're in stop and go traffic all the time.
any mods done to the car?

things that you can check and/or replace are:
oxigen sensor
air filter
spark plugs
fuel filter
tire pressure
brakes (to make sure calipers release fully and that they dont drag)

·
Registered
412 Posts
///M3ssican said:
yeah the best I have ever gotten was 299

getting 150 at half tank point
That's not too bad of mileage.... I try to keep off the gas pedal and drive like a grandma to preserve the gas. The octane is alot lower here in Colorado...I think ours is 87 octane for the regular unleaded. I use Shell gas, and it seems to run well so I don't feel the need to go up to mid-grade. I used to do that, and I felt like I was spending more money for nothing because I didn't see any significant changes when I used a higher octane.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Marty2916 said:
For some reason my 96 civic has been drinking a lot of gas lately. I pump 89 octane when I go get gas and I keep the car tuned. Does anyone have any ideas of ways to get better gas mileage?
Dont you have any lower grade of octane?

Damn you guys are getting horrible gas mileage it seems. I thought i was gettin bad and i get anywhere from 26-34.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
a Dx hatch should get like 370 or more per tank....shouldn't it?

I was getting abotu 350 with my old d16z6.....now with my b16 I get about 220 if I drive like a maniac.....a little over 300 cruising.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
there are lower octane gas that I can pump into my ride, however 93 oct helps clean the fuel system when you add a fuel injection cleaner. It is always a good idea every now and then to pump 93 oct into your ride. It does not impove the performance but it may help keep the fuel system a little cleaner.

VtecAddict said:
Dont you have any lower grade of octane?

Damn you guys are getting horrible gas mileage it seems. I thought i was gettin bad and i get anywhere from 26-34.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Marty2916 said:
there are lower octane gas that I can pump into my ride, however 93 oct helps clean the fuel system when you add a fuel injection cleaner. It is always a good idea every now and then to pump 93 oct into your ride. It does not impove the performance but it may help keep the fuel system a little cleaner.
.......And how does it help keep the fuel system cleaner?
:rolleyes
That makes no sense whatsoever to me.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
commador said:
I have magic gas.....smells pretty bad tho....:hehe
Now that was uncalled for

:ninja *filters the mouth and nose with the ninja mask*

1 - 16 of 16 Posts