Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, noob here.

I noticed there was a similar thread about this but my issue is not quite the same so I didn't want to hijack that thread.

I recently bought a 2002 Accord EX with 36K. It seems to be in great shape except that so far I'm only averaging around 17miles/gal. The car runs and drives great, it just gets bad mileage. Any ideas on what might be causing this? What can I look at? I'm fairly handy, what can I check myself?

THanks :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
well i think the car gets 20-26 or something from the factory..someone can fix that if needed. i was averaging about 18 until i got intake and exhaust and now i get about 20. however when i first got my car, i was averaging under 15 but that was fixed when i got the egr valve recall done. driving conservatively will help alot, i drive relatively conservatively and average 20, im sure if you drove even more you could get 22-23
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
keep your rpms under 3,000 and get your EGR valve replaced. Then you should be doing better. I get 320 miles to the tank and I drive pretty rough. I don't understand why you would be getting that low of mileage. It's probably the EGR valve.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cc00rdpower said:
keep your rpms under 3,000 and get your EGR valve replaced. Then you should be doing better. I get 320 miles to the tank and I drive pretty rough. I don't understand why you would be getting that low of mileage. It's probably the EGR valve.

OK, I'll check into that. We did take a trip this weekend and I got around 26 on the highway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
26mpg sounds good to me. Next time your sitting at a stop light, watch your rpms and see if they move, even the slightest bit. That's a sign that your EGR valve is going bad or is clogged.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cc00rdpower said:
26mpg sounds good to me. Next time your sitting at a stop light, watch your rpms and see if they move, even the slightest bit. That's a sign that your EGR valve is going bad or is clogged.
I thought that was pretty great too, it's just the 16-17 I seem to be averaging in the city that has been bumming me out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
I don't know where you live, but around here I use cruise control in the city for those straight un-busy roads. As you probably know, cruise gives you the best gas mileage, but you can't use it in bumper to bumper traffic. 16-17 is kind of low, should be about 19-20 but still, what can you expect from a V6 with a 4 speed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cc00rdpower said:
I don't know where you live, but around here I use cruise control in the city for those straight un-busy roads. As you probably know, cruise gives you the best gas mileage, but you can't use it in bumper to bumper traffic. 16-17 is kind of low, should be about 19-20 but still, what can you expect from a V6 with a 4 speed?
Cruise control, in Chicago? :D Ha ha.

I suppose it's not that bad, perhaps I just had highter expectations.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Gas mileage increased

I have 99 Honda Accord V6 automatic. I used to get an average of 22-23mpg, then my friend introduced me to MPG-CAPS (Miles per Gallon pill), in the very first use of the pill, i got an average of 25 miles per gallon mostly city driving and then second time, I tried again, results were amazing, I saw big increase in car mileage, I got an average of 31mpg. Not only, i saw an increase in mileage, I also realized my car is running better, more power, less engine noise. Increase of 35%, Amazing!. I am very happy with my car and the mileage I am getting now.
For more information, you can check at my website, http://www.increasemiles.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Ok... Well, it sounds great and all but I can't find a price. If it's more than $1.50 a caplet, its not even worth it. I'm not worried about engine wear either. Honda's powertrains and valvetrains will last 200,K - 300,K miles if you take care of it. Now, if you made a pill that cured my drivetrain ( :bomb )components I would buy it!!
P.S. - I like engine noise :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
639 Posts
Dump the spam, power caps my ass.

17 seems very low, my '04 gets around 25 even with stop and go commuting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
Gas Mileage

!! With the price of fuel today it is costing the average driver more and more to drive their vehicle everyday. You are paying more at the pump and getting far less mileage for your money. With Fuel Freedom International (FFI) remarkable FUEL Pill you can increase your gas mileage by up to 30% and even more!! Save money on every fill-up. Just drop 1 MPG-cap in your tank before you fill up and you’re ready to save money. If you have a 20 gallon tank you could save up to $15 every time you put gas in your car! One pill retail costs only $2.00 and treats up to 20 gallons of gas or diesel. Guaranteed to get better gas mileage, save money, increase engine performance and reduce vehicle emissions for life.
http://www.increasemiles.com


cc00rdpower said:
Ok... Well, it sounds great and all but I can't find a price. If it's more than $1.50 a caplet, its not even worth it. I'm not worried about engine wear either. Honda's powertrains and valvetrains will last 200,K - 300,K miles if you take care of it. Now, if you made a pill that cured my drivetrain ( :bomb )components I would buy it!!
P.S. - I like engine noise :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
!! With the price of fuel today it is costing the average driver more and more to drive their vehicle everyday. You are paying more at the pump and getting far less mileage for your money. With our remarkable FUEL Pill you can increase your gas mileage by up to 30% and even more!! Save money on every fill-up. Just drop 1 MPG-cap in your tank before you fill up and you’re ready to save money. If you have a 20 gallon tank you could save up to $15 every time you put gas in your car! One pill retail cost is only $2.00 and treats up to 20 gallons of gas or diesel. Guaranteed to get better gas mileage, save money, increase engine performance and reduce vehicle emissions for life.
For more information, check http://www.increasemiles.com

I have 99 Honda Accord V6 automatic. I used to get an average of 22-23mpg, then my friend introduced me to MPG-CAPS (Miles per Gallon pill), in the very first use of the pill, i got an average of 25 miles per gallon mostly city driving and then second time, I tried again, results were amazing, I saw big increase in car mileage, I got an average of 31mpg. Increase of 35%, Amazing. Not only, i saw an increase in mileage, I also realized my car is running better, more power, less engine noise. I am very happy with my car and the mileage I am getting now. Check at my website, http://www.increasemiles.com


Dave H said:
Hey everyone, noob here.

I noticed there was a similar thread about this but my issue is not quite the same so I didn't want to hijack that thread.

I recently bought a 2002 Accord EX with 36K. It seems to be in great shape except that so far I'm only averaging around 17miles/gal. The car runs and drives great, it just gets bad mileage. Any ideas on what might be causing this? What can I look at? I'm fairly handy, what can I check myself?

THanks :)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top