Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
LOLS, yes! The POV's being what first comes to mind.:hehe

Kinda like a PS3 fanboy saying Killzone:2 and MGS:4 are the same types of game.:ninja
Indeed. Anyone who has taken the time to play both titles will know the similarities end at, "shooter."

·
Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
GoW is nothing like Halo, that's a poor comparison my friend.

Why wouldn't you play it? I haven't played through GoW2 yet, but the campaign in the original was awesome.
From a gow fanboy that hates halo, they have gone alot towards the halo setup. The multiplayer lounges are very similar and not at all like they were in gow1. Some of the game even feels like it went that way.

The reason not to play the game is simple, I just don't care about it. I preffer online multiplayer. I honestly don't care at all about the storyline, and achievements are for fags

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Playing through campaign, I see what yellow is saying. It's no Halo but it definately has the similar feel in some maps. Mostly the outdoors one where you're driving over ice lakes etc to the tower.

First GOW had bad ass cover system, this game has same system but the placement of objects and moving from cover to cover just isn't the same. All the pull switches/lever stuff is somewhat stupid. Finally had the chance to play the Horde mode with some SHO peeps last night...it's okay at the best. Hiding/taking cover in a tiny map to keep shooting down enemies that get stronger and stronger doesn't have much appeal either.

·
Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
That and horde just gets old in a hurry. It fun the first couple times you play, but like you said, its all the same. Enimies just get slightly harder

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
From a gow fanboy that hates halo, they have gone alot towards the halo setup. The multiplayer lounges are very similar and not at all like they were in gow1. Some of the game even feels like it went that way.

The reason not to play the game is simple, I just don't care about it. I preffer online multiplayer. I honestly don't care at all about the storyline, and achievements are for fags
So the matchmaking lounge feels somewhat similar to Halo... and this is a bad thing how? Halo 2 and Halo 3 have the best matchmaking system I've seen implemented into a game thus far; it's the only game in which it feels truly seamless. Even so, the matchmaking lounge being similar to Halo hardly qualifies the game as a whole being similar to Halo... GoW isn't even a FPS, it's entirely in third person. Nor do the games use the same engine... Halo uses a proprietary engine developed by Bungie with Havok Physics, while GoW uses Epic's ever popular Unreal Engine 3 with PhysX.

If you don't care about campaign, well, to each his own. But the online in GoW2 has seen quite a few big improvements, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't like it if you enjoyed the original? :confused

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Playing through campaign, I see what yellow is saying. It's no Halo but it definately has the similar feel in some maps. Mostly the outdoors one where you're driving over ice lakes etc to the tower.

First GOW had bad ass cover system, this game has same system but the placement of objects and moving from cover to cover just isn't the same. All the pull switches/lever stuff is somewhat stupid. Finally had the chance to play the Horde mode with some SHO peeps last night...it's okay at the best. Hiding/taking cover in a tiny map to keep shooting down enemies that get stronger and stronger doesn't have much appeal either.
Isn't that the only vehicle level? I have my doubts...

The cover system hasn't really changed since the first Gears... If anything it's move fluid than the first game, and how has the placement of objects changed? Level design follows the same artistic style of the first, so again, I'm having a hard time believing this, especially after reading reviews such as this:

IGN said:
Luckily the core gameplay that pleased and excited so many in 2006 has remained largely intact, with every change bringing improvements to the system. The coveted A button is still the catch-all for most actions but it now functions with better responsiveness and is much more intuitive when it comes to predicting when and where you're trying to enter into cover.

There are also plenty of new moves that blend seamlessly into the already established foundation. It would have been a disservice to exclude new executions from the list of additions so Epic did their best to come with some of the squishiest, gushiest and most disgusting moves possible. Different weapons now have different finishers, as well as different active reload benefits, and Marcus and company have new abilities like taking downed enemies as meat shields and utilizing new, bigger weapons than were available before.

Mobile cover is another new advent to the world of Gears. There are three main types: the Rockworm, the Boomshield which can be carried and planted, and the retractable cover that makes an appearance later in the Locust lair. The Rockworm is probably the most unnatural feeling of these new forms of cover, but it's still an interesting creature to see. The Boomshield will be used the most and is great when you're stomping towards an enemy who can only continue to futilely try and shoot through the metallic cover. Moving between pieces of the environment is also much more fluid than it was before. You can interrupt SWAT turns and other moves if things get a bit hairy. In the end there are not any earth shattering changes to the cover, but the alterations that have been made make total sense and fit right in with the rest of Gears 2.

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
Halo 2 and Halo 3 have the best matchmaking system I've seen implemented into a game thus far
That's only because you haven't played R2 yet! :p Granted, their servers are having issues, but the party system is flawless, especially if you're looking to play co-op.

Anyway, to answer a question answered earlier, no, I haven't renewed my XBL subscription, I see no need to. Everything I want to play online is out on PC or PS3 and I can play for free, so I kind of don't see a need to pay money to play online:eek:

·
Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
So the matchmaking lounge feels somewhat similar to Halo... and this is a bad thing how? Halo 2 and Halo 3 have the best matchmaking system I've seen implemented into a game thus far; it's the only game in which it feels truly seamless. Even so, the matchmaking lounge being similar to Halo hardly qualifies the game as a whole being similar to Halo... GoW isn't even a FPS, it's entirely in third person. Nor do the games use the same engine... Halo uses a proprietary engine developed by Bungie with Havok Physics, while GoW uses Epic's ever popular Unreal Engine 3 with PhysX.

If you don't care about campaign, well, to each his own. But the online in GoW2 has seen quite a few big improvements, so I'm not sure why you wouldn't like it if you enjoyed the original? :confused
The fact that after every match you have to return to the lobby, considerably slow the amount of game play. The death lounge is horrible, only alive players can talk to alive players and vice versa. I'm not sure how any of that is a upgrade. The game is also still laggy at times, and the big reason for going to the upgraded lobby was to eliminate that issue.

I honeslty hate the game, and the more I play it the more I dislike it.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Isn't that the only vehicle level? I have my doubts...

The cover system hasn't really changed since the first Gears... If anything it's move fluid than the first game, and how has the placement of objects changed? Level design follows the same artistic style of the first, so again, I'm having a hard time believing this, especially after reading reviews such as this:
lmao, you're telling me my opinion isn't valid because someone else's opinion is different? way to go smartie pants! If I was to do a search and post a link saying GOW sucks big time and don't buy it would that really convince you that is GOW is the worst game, regardless of your own thoughts & opinion? Re-read my post in your quote about the cover system.

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
lmao, you're telling me my opinion isn't valid because someone else's opinion is different? way to go smartie pants! If I was to do a search and post a link saying GOW sucks big time and don't buy it would that really convince you that is GOW is the worst game, regardless of your own thoughts & opinion? Re-read my post in your quote about the cover system.
No sir, re read MY post. I never stated that you were wrong, only that I had my doubts. Take into consideration what you were saying not only flies in the face of every review I've read, but also seems quite void of logic.

When I read five reviews saying the cover system is largely unchanged, save a few small improvements, it leads me to doubt some random kid on SHO saying it is now worse. Watching gameplay trailers and analyzing the art style of GoW 2 compared to the original title, I do not see how or why "the placement of objects" would be different (and inherently the overall direction of level design), and even if this was somehow different, how this would effect the cover system to a large enough degree for you to notice?

If anything, I simply want you to go into more detail, because at this point it seems baseless. Again, I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I have my doubts. In the end it doesn't matter, I'm picking up the game this weekend and at that point I can develop a more informed, personal opinion. ;)

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
The fact that after every match you have to return to the lobby, considerably slow the amount of game play. The death lounge is horrible, only alive players can talk to alive players and vice versa. I'm not sure how any of that is a upgrade. The game is also still laggy at times, and the big reason for going to the upgraded lobby was to eliminate that issue.

I honeslty hate the game, and the more I play it the more I dislike it.
Going back to the lobby takes an extra what, 10-15 seconds?

And if I understand you correctly, you think dead players should be able to talk to alive players? How would this be a good/fair idea?

As for the lag, that sucks. Exactly how big of a problem is it? If it's particularly bad, I'm sure Microsoft will get it fixed ASAP, given the popularity of the Gears series.

To each his own. :number1

·
Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
Going back to the lobby takes an extra what, 10-15 seconds?

And if I understand you correctly, you think dead players should be able to talk to alive players? How would this be a good/fair idea?

As for the lag, that sucks. Exactly how big of a problem is it? If it's particularly bad, I'm sure Microsoft will get it fixed ASAP, given the popularity of the Gears series.

To each his own. :number1
Not dead players talking to alive player while game play is going on. Between rounds is what I am talking about
You must not have played gow1, and if thats so you would have never dealt with any of these problems

The wait in the lobby for 10-15 seconds when most rounds online take 1-2 minutes is very inconvient

·
Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
On a side note I finished the game. And I honestly didn't care for it either. Most task were extremly simple. The story line was ok at best. Not a real "boss" at the end.
Basically if you hang back with a sniper rifle this game should take you no time to beat and you probably won't die. Unless one of the stupid task causes your death

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
When I read five reviews saying the cover system is largely unchanged, save a few small improvements, it leads me to doubt some random kid on SHO saying it is now worse. Watching gameplay trailers and analyzing the art style of GoW 2 compared to the original title, I do not see how or why "the placement of objects" would be different (and inherently the overall direction of level design), and even if this was somehow different, how this would effect the cover system to a large enough degree for you to notice?
My original post
First GOW had bad ass cover system, this game has same system but the placement of objects and moving from cover to cover just isn't the same. All the pull switches/lever stuff is somewhat stupid

Dude have you even played the game yourself?? Do you let the internet reviews do everything for you?

·
Olde School Ricer
8,762 Posts
I figured it out
gow2 is a noob game

1 It has a training ground for online play (wtf, so your self esteem doesn't get hurt)
2 You can't run and shoot (talk about a step backwards)
3 Smoke grenades knock you down (for tards that can't make it to real grenades)
4 The lancer is the best gun. (no need to waste time searching for new weapons)
5 Chainsaw duels (really, like we need more noobs running around with chainsaws)
6 Shotgun can shoot people across the map (well you already ruined the gun with not being able to run and shoot, might as well make it a long range gun)
7 Bots (when everyone starts to realize this game sucks and goes back to gow1 you can play with all your bot friends)
8 You must use the cover system (I just want to hide and maybe they won't notice me)
9 Menu's let you vote (I want to play gridlock for the millionth time)

Although they did 2 things I like
1 No more active downs with the sniper rifle (sorry sniper Billy, you will actually have to head shoot me)
2 You can melee you teammates and fragtag them (lets face it, knocking down your teammate, humping them, them giving them a fragtag facial is fun anytime)

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
Not dead players talking to alive player while game play is going on. Between rounds is what I am talking about
You must not have played gow1, and if thats so you would have never dealt with any of these problems

The wait in the lobby for 10-15 seconds when most rounds online take 1-2 minutes is very inconvient
I did play GoW. In fact, I own it.

yellowrexsi said:
On a side note I finished the game. And I honestly didn't care for it either. Most task were extremly simple. The story line was ok at best. Not a real "boss" at the end. Basically if you hang back with a sniper rifle this game should take you no time to beat and you probably won't die. Unless one of the stupid task causes your death
Thanks for the impressions. :)

21 - 40 of 71 Posts