Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

Gears of War 2

7K views 70 replies 14 participants last post by  jon 
#1 ·
is getting Gears2 tonight? :)

#4 ·
read my response and the try and understand that i obviously answered your question. looking beyond the words is obviously not within your abilities. so if you asked if anybody was getting gears tonight and my response was "Fuck gears get fallout 3" then obviously my answer was NO. :bye

#5 ·
Obviously I was being sarcastic but obviously you didn't get the obvious that I obviosly didn't give a fuck about you not directly answering my question. So I guess you obviously have an obvious mental retardation. Don't take it too seriously though, OBVIOUSLY I'm just messing around on the net, which I thought was pretty obvious, don't you think Captain Obvious?

Hold on, let check in with Obvious Boy, yep, the nod pretty much confirms it, quite Obvious!

#19 ·
GoW is nothing like Halo, that's a poor comparison my friend.

yellowrexsi said:
But I heard the actual game is good, but who plays that
Why wouldn't you play it? I haven't played through GoW2 yet, but the campaign in the original was awesome.

#15 ·
My local Game Stop had their modem, DSL, and computer system go down Friday (all day). So unless you had cash, you were SOL.:lol2

Luckily there's Wachovia & BoA branches in the same shopping center, so there was a ton of peeps waiting in line to use the ATM's.:lol2

Luckily I went in for PS3 games (no pre-pay craziness) and had cash, so I went to the front of the line.:w00tz

#27 ·
Playing through campaign, I see what yellow is saying. It's no Halo but it definately has the similar feel in some maps. Mostly the outdoors one where you're driving over ice lakes etc to the tower.

First GOW had bad ass cover system, this game has same system but the placement of objects and moving from cover to cover just isn't the same. All the pull switches/lever stuff is somewhat stupid. Finally had the chance to play the Horde mode with some SHO peeps last night...it's okay at the best. Hiding/taking cover in a tiny map to keep shooting down enemies that get stronger and stronger doesn't have much appeal either.

#30 ·
Isn't that the only vehicle level? I have my doubts...

The cover system hasn't really changed since the first Gears... If anything it's move fluid than the first game, and how has the placement of objects changed? Level design follows the same artistic style of the first, so again, I'm having a hard time believing this, especially after reading reviews such as this:

IGN said:
Luckily the core gameplay that pleased and excited so many in 2006 has remained largely intact, with every change bringing improvements to the system. The coveted A button is still the catch-all for most actions but it now functions with better responsiveness and is much more intuitive when it comes to predicting when and where you're trying to enter into cover.

There are also plenty of new moves that blend seamlessly into the already established foundation. It would have been a disservice to exclude new executions from the list of additions so Epic did their best to come with some of the squishiest, gushiest and most disgusting moves possible. Different weapons now have different finishers, as well as different active reload benefits, and Marcus and company have new abilities like taking downed enemies as meat shields and utilizing new, bigger weapons than were available before.

Mobile cover is another new advent to the world of Gears. There are three main types: the Rockworm, the Boomshield which can be carried and planted, and the retractable cover that makes an appearance later in the Locust lair. The Rockworm is probably the most unnatural feeling of these new forms of cover, but it's still an interesting creature to see. The Boomshield will be used the most and is great when you're stomping towards an enemy who can only continue to futilely try and shoot through the metallic cover. Moving between pieces of the environment is also much more fluid than it was before. You can interrupt SWAT turns and other moves if things get a bit hairy. In the end there are not any earth shattering changes to the cover, but the alterations that have been made make total sense and fit right in with the rest of Gears 2.

#37 · (Edited)
On a side note I finished the game. And I honestly didn't care for it either. Most task were extremly simple. The story line was ok at best. Not a real "boss" at the end.
Basically if you hang back with a sniper rifle this game should take you no time to beat and you probably won't die. Unless one of the stupid task causes your death

#39 ·
I figured it out
gow2 is a noob game

1 It has a training ground for online play (wtf, so your self esteem doesn't get hurt)
2 You can't run and shoot (talk about a step backwards)
3 Smoke grenades knock you down (for tards that can't make it to real grenades)
4 The lancer is the best gun. (no need to waste time searching for new weapons)
5 Chainsaw duels (really, like we need more noobs running around with chainsaws)
6 Shotgun can shoot people across the map (well you already ruined the gun with not being able to run and shoot, might as well make it a long range gun)
7 Bots (when everyone starts to realize this game sucks and goes back to gow1 you can play with all your bot friends)
8 You must use the cover system (I just want to hide and maybe they won't notice me)
9 Menu's let you vote (I want to play gridlock for the millionth time)

Although they did 2 things I like
1 No more active downs with the sniper rifle (sorry sniper Billy, you will actually have to head shoot me)
2 You can melee you teammates and fragtag them (lets face it, knocking down your teammate, humping them, them giving them a fragtag facial is fun anytime)

#46 ·
I finished the game, liked it. Visually it was on par with the first, with some enhancements, and no slowdown, I liked it :)

The story was....well, I won't rag on it, but I think it was sub-par, then again, Epic has never been a story driven developer.

Can't comment on Multiplayer, $50 a yr and all that.

#47 ·
multiplayer is sick, especially horde mode

#50 ·
eh i didnt buy the game, only played it a few times. i know multiplayer sucked on GOW1

#51 ·
After you get used to multiplayer on gow1 its awesome
gow2 just sucks, I put the fucker in the other day and wanted to burn it and piss on it. I
tossed in gow1 and most the people that I play with were playing that. Kinda bad when a game has only been out for a month and people have quit playing it and have put back in a 2 year old game

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.