Honda and Acura Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you own a honda with an automatic transmission, then you'll know that it's vital that you change your transmission fluid when it needs to be changed. This can prolong the life of your tranny, and ensure smooth, quick engagement. Alot of people out there use different fluids, that work with honda tranny's however NOTHING, is better then the Genuine HONDA ATF! I highly recommond using only HONDA's tranny fuild!

Honda Genuine HG ATF-Z1
Honda part #: 08200-9001

·
Registered
42 Posts
How often or what schedule do you change the tranny fluid. And how do you know when it needs changing...
Whenever the automatic transmission changes gears on my Teg, the whole car jumps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Honda ATF is good stuff. But I tired Honda ATF and Nissan Matic-D ATF, the Nissan Matic-D reduced the thump during shifts. So right now I have Nissan Matic-D running in my Accord, and it is doing a great job.

·
Registered
11,248 Posts
In older cars, it sometimes takes flushing the auto tranny multiple times to get things right especially since a lot of the fluid is trapped in the torque convertor and doesn't come out with a normal fluid change. So are you sure that the nissan fluid worked better or was the improvement simply because you changed the fluid multiple times?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I changed the transmission fuild to Honda ATF. Then after 1 1/2 month I wasnt satisfied, and the TF was again brown (cause I never flushed the system). Then I drained and refilled with Nissan Matic-D (2.5 qts) and the tranny was shifting better. Then to improve things even more I bought (recently) Seafoam tranny treatment and just added 1/2 of it to the Nissan Matic-D, and now the tranny is shifting really smooth. If I flush the system I am sure I would have better results, but I don't have the tools to flush the system and it costs to much for me to flush the whole system with several Honda ATF qts. The tranny is shifting fine now so I have no complains. The Nissan Matic-D is twice the price of Honda ATF.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hmmm @ the Nissan Matic-D and thanks for the Seafoam Tip.

I put some Lucas in my Tranny with some Honda Genuine ATF, got smoother shifting. The jerks are less servere in some cases but it's a bit better than before if you really are ready to sit down and identify the difference.

and I am running an Automatic so..

·
Registered
910 Posts
GSRB17A said:
I changed the transmission fuild to Honda ATF. Then after 1 1/2 month I wasnt satisfied, and the TF was again brown (cause I never flushed the system). Then I drained and refilled with Nissan Matic-D (2.5 qts) and the tranny was shifting better. Then to improve things even more I bought (recently) Seafoam tranny treatment and just added 1/2 of it to the Nissan Matic-D, and now the tranny is shifting really smooth. If I flush the system I am sure I would have better results, but I don't have the tools to flush the system and it costs to much for me to flush the whole system with several Honda ATF qts. The tranny is shifting fine now so I have no complains. The Nissan Matic-D is twice the price of Honda ATF.
well the fluid will get brown with use... all of the additives burning up turns it brown. im pretty sure all of those gears and clutch plates make it pretty damn hot in there, so that should be expected ???

·
Registered
220 Posts
PreludeKing1995 said:
well the fluid will get brown with use... all of the additives burning up turns it brown. im pretty sure all of those gears and clutch plates make it pretty damn hot in there, so that should be expected ???
I might try that nissian matic-d and the seafoam this spring, last time around I used Genuine Honda ATF and some Lucas ATF Stabilizer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
what??? i have NEVER had brown fluid. some people say that any dexron III will work, is this safe? mine is shifting a bit harder now what should i do... just changed it about 3 months ago.. it is a 95 accord auto

·
Registered
220 Posts
JOEL2112 said:
what??? i have NEVER had brown fluid. some people say that any dexron III will work, is this safe? mine is shifting a bit harder now what should i do... just changed it about 3 months ago.. it is a 95 accord auto
I feel ya man. I'm about to be driving between two cities twice a week this summer and was thinkign about doing a fluid change before I started the prolonged driving, but I'm planning a repair day for the car sometime next month so I wanted something cheap that would work good until I found a better 1-year replacement and was thinking about picking up anything Dexron III or V (whatever the latest is)...

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
vspec808 said:
If you own a honda with an automatic transmission, then you'll know that it's vital that you change your transmission fluid when it needs to be changed. This can prolong the life of your tranny, and ensure smooth, quick engagement. Alot of people out there use different fluids, that work with honda tranny's however NOTHING, is better then the Genuine HONDA ATF! I highly recommond using only HONDA's tranny fuild!

Honda Genuine HG ATF-Z1
Honda part #: 08200-9001
American Honda has contracts with oil compaines like Mobil and Pennzoil. When I buy oil, I like to know what I'm getting, not a $5 markup on some mystery brand. Plus, Honda ATF didn't stop the tranny on my Accord from taking a dump.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hey this might be kind of off topic but it relates to it. Anyways, I have an Acura TL 1996, its an honda engine and my dad put in Honda Manuel Transmission fluid and my car is an automatic, do you guys believe there will be any danger to my transmission or should my I go back to the dealership and ask for a refund or try and get the automatic one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts