Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My plans for a JRSC will have to be put on hold temporarily. I need a new clutch and flywheel right now. My mechanic says that an OEM clutch and flywheel will be strong enough to handle a JRSC. But I'm thinking that it would be a better idea to upgrade to an aftermarket clutch/flywheel since I'm replacing it anyway. Any suggestions? What do you SC'ed cars have?

BTW, I'm not a racer and I'm getting a JRSC because of my 1996 Integra GSR's lack of low end torque. I only have I+E right now.

Thanks SC forum.

· Registered
395 Posts
exciv2000 said:
Definetely get an aftermarket clutch. Go with either ACT or ClutchMasters. Also, you might consider a lighter weight flywheel to help rev faster.
i would suggest against an aftermarket aluminum flywheel. sure you'll lose half the weight, but the factory flywheel can be shaved, it's stronger than the aluminum flywheel and more resistant to heat, which will wear down the clutchplate itself faster.

· Registered
395 Posts
exciv2000 said:
sorry but shaving the flywheel makes it weaker, regardless of what anyone says. There are always Chromoly lightweight flywheels as well, but I'd prefer not to get one of those personally.
of course it's gonna be weaker you're removing part of it. either way it's gonna beceome weaker. the idea of it is less weight for faster revs (also to overall reduce the weight of the car itself). but like i said before, heat will build up quicker with an aluminum flywheel. and you'll end up having to replace your clutch sooner than you'd expect.

· Registered
2,529 Posts
its not the flywheel, but the insert where the friction disk contacts the flywheel. if the flywheel was all aluminum it'd be gone in a few launches, that's why they put stainless steel on the insert. aluminum is a GREAT heat conductor, ie, it'll dissipate fast

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm going to be talking to my mechanic tomorrow. I'll probably go for an aftermarket clutch because I don't want to have to swap in an aftermarket clutch later.

Is it possible to use an OEM GSR flywheel with an aftermarket clutch? I'm pretty sure this will work, but of course I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff.

I don't think I can dip that far into my savings to afford both an aftermarket clutch and a lightened flywheel. I know that I'll be saving labor costs by installing both at the same time, but I can't spend that much right now. My mechanic said a flywheel from Acura should run about $65 versus around $250 for a entry level aftermarket flywheel.

Thanks again.

· Registered
2,529 Posts
if all you need is a clutch, then you probably don't need a flywheel... I mean, you already have a GSR right? Therefore you already have an OEM GSR flywheel. I don't think it's necessary to get new flywheels every time you change the clutch, but I could be wrong. I just suggested the aftermarket one for the faster revs and lighter weight.

· Registered
33 Posts
i have an act clutch and a type r flywheel, works great without killing the drivability, like say you were out drinking and your girlfriend had to drive it home, or someone else who wasn't quite as compentent. stock flywheel 18 lbs, type r 12 lbs i weighed them both on a digital shipping scale.....

· Registered
314 Posts
A USDM Type R flyhweel weighs 6.8kg or 15lbs and the GsR flyhweel is 8.16kg or 18lbs. I would strongly recommend getting a Clutchmasters Stage 3 clutch as well as a Clutchmasters lightweight flyhweel. That's what I've done and I love it, not to mention it holds all the power, (258whp/171ft. lbs.) just fine. The lightweight flywheel is not necessary but it will help your motor to rev quicker which will produce quicker acceleration. You will have to get your factory flywheel resurfaced at a minimum when you replace the clutch. The factory clutch will NOT hold up for long. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.