Honda and Acura Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ditched my slow POS Civic DX today. Sold it to a kid for $7k cash. :laughy: Totally going for my dream car now (Del Sol)!! What should i know about it? What year should I get? How many miles are okay to be on the car? WHERE can i find one?! heh, if cant get a VTEC model, then im planning on getting an S with 150k+ miles on it and dropping a new engine in.. how does this sound?!

· Registered
68 Posts
You could probably find a S for cheap and do a swap. Plus you wont have to pay higher insurance like on the VTEC model. Try to find a 95 and up. Good luck with your searching.

· Registered
68 Posts
3 - 4 thousand for a good JDM B18c engine with low miles.
there is cheaper ones, but i would'nt trust em, i think you get what you pay for. You could also find a S model sol for 3 - 5 thousand if you look hard enough.

· Registered
154 Posts
you'll probably want to find an Si model. The Si's have the VTEC handling in them (larger swaybars, tighter feel, power steering, power mirrors, etc...).

But if you find a cheap S (<$4000) with high miles and a good interior you can MORE than make up the difference by going aftermarket struts, springs, sways, and B16 engine. All together (car price, parts, and even after a shop installation) this should run you less than $9000 total. You probably won't be able to find a VTEC model unless you're REALLY lucky b/c they only made 12,000 total for the US market.

Watchout for the targa leaks !!!!! Unfortunately, all sols will eventually start to leak (due to seal deterioration and body flex). There's really not alot you can do for it. You can condition the seals until your arms fall off and it'll still leak. This is a $1200 seal replacement. Check for dampness or a funky smell under the seats and get ready to spend the $$$ and use it as a bargaining chip. ( i know what i'm talking about on this one, had a 94 S for 3 years and now I've had a 97Si for year. The seals leaked like crazy on the on the 94)

As for miles, I found my 97 with 58K on it, a perfect body, and great interior condition for $10,500. My 94S with 170,000 sold for $3,500.

Good luck!

· Registered
676 Posts
the seats come on all sols...dont they??

And I would also go with an Si, if your not that determined to get a VTEC(which feels real good to have), but i would stay away from the S model, although all Del Sols are tight, just some are better than others.

· Registered
354 Posts
u can take the rear disc brakes off of a del sol si and put them on an S rather easily and cheap. if your lucky like me, i found a 95 S with 176k on it, and it was a lil beat up, no more than 800 to fix up, and traded my 90 CRX SI for it, straight up. Xcept i to take the rims off my rex and put them on the sol!

Robbie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.